Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2009, 16:02   #121

Boat: catamaran one of 40 feed Njord
welkome to the wonderful world of catamarans

Hei i am a danishviking i offen sail my 40 fed cat alone it has to smal outbords easi to manuvre the beam is only a small problem and i only juse one line at the time good luck
Quote:
Originally Posted by twisty View Post
As the title say I have decided on a catamaran, after taking everything everyone said in another thread into consideration I have decided. I have made a couple ventures to look over a couple, just to get an idea. The first was a 33' Something or other, I couldn't get inside of but left me quite curious. So the other day driving by a local marina/brokerage I happened to see one and stopped. It was a 41' ish Lagoon. The first thing that struck me was how wide the beam was on this boat, holy crap!

Knowing that I will be going at this alone once my son goes to college, how does the beam width effect handling? Specifically handling it alone?

The next thing I noticed was all the lines, another holy crap! I didn't notice it on the other boat as it was on the hard and well above me. This one however, I was standing on the dock looking at. Not having sailed before this seems like a maze ending in an accident waiting to happen. Is there anything I should be looking for knowing I will refitting it for solo handling?

I know I will have several hundred more questions before I actually get ready buy but these were the first two that popped in my head as I was standing on the dock looking at it.

I'm not interested in buying this particular cat, I will probably be looking more in the 30'ish range but as there are so few of them in this area, if anyone knows this boat I would love a chance to really look at it, so as to get a better idea as to what I am looking for and at. The boat is located in Wilmington NC but is from Oregon, so she is pretty far from home. There is a paddle wheel boat docked near it. Now wishing I had written the name of it down.
Kent Johansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2009, 17:58   #122

Boat: deboated
Quote:
Originally Posted by twisty View Post
Generally confused about what? why a web developer would develop a site about something that interests them or why someone would ask questions on a site geared towards what they are interested in and seeking information about. I am truly finding it really hard to see what is so confusing here.
Not sure why a web developer would start their own site and then go on other sites. Why did you start a forum? I would have thought if you needed information to buy a boat you would not start a forum? Unless you thought it might be a money spinner and that would account for not having a budget as you did not know how much you would make
meyermm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2009, 02:24   #123
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Quote:
Originally Posted by meyermm View Post
Thanks guys for a while their I thought it just must have been me that thought something was not right about not having a budget. Twisty, here in Australia we do it differently maybe that is why our banks have not had to be bailed out like you have had in the USA and beyond.
Just to make sure you dont think this person represents australian sailors - please note I disagree with his attitude. Twisty here in australia is the same as everywhere else - there are some tossers and some decent people.

As for the economic issue, yeah sure buddy - we are absolutely fine.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2009, 04:03   #124

Factor - which group of sailors do you represent?
Old 26-02-2009, 09:55   #125
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Meyermm, Factor didn't say he represented anybody but himself - he was just pointing out that you don't represent the entire Australian sailing community either. And his comments about the 'budget' issue are also right on - I assume you felt it relevant to the thread to insult those from 'the USA and beyond' whose countries are currently suffering from difficulties in the banking and other industries.

You might also want to take note that your insulting comment concerning her present inability to advance a fixed budget insult not only Twisty, but others like Tao Jones, who agree that it is impossible to set a budget until: 1. you know what you want; 2. you know something about the current market. For what it is worth, I agree with both of them: for someone with no real knowledge of sailing catamarans to suggest a realistic budget range would be ludicrous. Once she has an idea of what she must have, what she would ideally like to have and what the current market values are for appropriate boats, she will be unable to determine what she is willing to pay and perhaps, whether she will need to scale down her expectations or finance part of the purchase price.

Despite your no-doubt extensive knowledge of Catamarans, Twisty was probably right in seeking advice on her questions elsewhere.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2009, 13:35   #126

Southern Star - I suggest you re read my posts as I did not remotely suggest I represented anyone. Secondly Twisty's credibility was not brought up by me re her own cruising forum and not having a budget. Before you attack me I suggest you re read all the posts on this thread not just the ones that catch your eye. The other day I saw this car that had everything I ever wanted in a vehicle. The looks, shape, handling and power oh that power I could not live without it a must have it was a Ferrari. This morning I am going down to the dealer to buy all my budget will allow. "one wheel" Have a nice day Southern Star!
Old 28-02-2009, 04:48   #127
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
Twisty was probably right in seeking advice on her questions elsewhere.
Brad
Brad,

If you reread her posts she tells us that she had absolutely no intention of buying a cat. She had a different motivation for starting this thread. I also admit that I'm as guilty as the fella you directed this post at for calling the lady out.

It's just that my BS meter pegged when I read her posts, and I couldn't let it pass ... nor the comments from all these so called experts who have never owned or even sailed a cruising Cat.

Sorry if I offended you my friend.. it was unintentional.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2009, 06:29   #128

No intention of buying a cat?

Damn, I wish I would have known that I wouldn't have wasted my time learning about them, signed on for a sailing class and driven 250 miles to see if I could find any to look at.

How you deduced that I will never know, your intellect is dizzying.
twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2009, 06:54   #129

Boat: Valiant 50
Answers to questions as follows:

Beam and Handling: No difference to degree of difficulty. Makes no difference if its 26 feet or 16 feet. Beam issues relate to finding marina slips and haul out yards to accommodate the wide beam and not to actually steering it.

Single Handed Set up: - Have roller furling and all lines to one electric winch, have electric windlass.

Boat Model/Design: No such thing as the perfect boat. Ideal maybe, but not perfect. Find a few you like the look of and then ask the experts here to comment.

Good Luck
Old 28-02-2009, 07:02   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelie View Post
Answers to questions as follows:

Beam and Handling: No difference to degree of difficulty. Makes no difference if its 26 feet or 16 feet. Beam issues relate to finding marina slips and haul out yards to accommodate the wide beam and not to actually steering it.

Single Handed Set up: - Have roller furling and all lines to one electric winch, have electric windlass.

Boat Model/Design: No such thing as the perfect boat. Ideal maybe, but not perfect. Find a few you like the look of and then ask the experts here to comment.

Good Luck
Thank you neelie!

All lines will run to a block of cam locks with the electric winch nearby? I have seen something like that, just want to make sure we are talking about the same thing.
Old 28-02-2009, 08:33   #131
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
I have a theory about long threads in Forums. It rarely takes more than 4 pages to thrash out a topic; after five pages the thread splinters into minor ego tiffs or major flamer brawls.

I agree with neelie: a good deck layout with as few as possible necessary trips to the foredeck or mast make a boat easier to sail single-handed. A powered winch is a great thing to have, but costs a couple grand and requires a heavier charging source to put all those electrons back in the battery. A smaller boat, with twin engines is easier to handle around a dock, especially in cross-winds, but its best to have someone else along (who follows orders readily) to help with the lines to avoid those embarrasing blemishes....

Daggerboards and centerboards help the catamaran sail closer to the wind, which is important if the wind is blowing from where you want to go. But they also add cost and complication to the handing equation. Most people opt for fixed keels, with a wide variety of excuses!

New boats cost the most and need the least maintenance. Old boats cost the least and need the most maintenance, replacement part$ and upgrades. If you are handy and have spare time, go old. If you are rich and busy, go new. If you are poor and working 2 jobs, go small.
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2009, 12:38   #132
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
To the few posters who seem to want to pick an argument--bickering and personal attacks have no place here, so knock it off. Two public warnings in a thread are more than enough.
Old 28-02-2009, 13:24   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy daugherty View Post
I have a theory about long threads in Forums. It rarely takes more than 4 pages to thrash out a topic; after five pages the thread splinters into minor ego tiffs or major flamer brawls.

I agree with neelie: a good deck layout with as few as possible necessary trips to the foredeck or mast make a boat easier to sail single-handed. A powered winch is a great thing to have, but costs a couple grand and requires a heavier charging source to put all those electrons back in the battery. A smaller boat, with twin engines is easier to handle around a dock, especially in cross-winds, but its best to have someone else along (who follows orders readily) to help with the lines to avoid those embarrasing blemishes....

Daggerboards and centerboards help the catamaran sail closer to the wind, which is important if the wind is blowing from where you want to go. But they also add cost and complication to the handing equation. Most people opt for fixed keels, with a wide variety of excuses!

New boats cost the most and need the least maintenance. Old boats cost the least and need the most maintenance, replacement part$ and upgrades. If you are handy and have spare time, go old. If you are rich and busy, go new. If you are poor and working 2 jobs, go small.
Thank you Sandy!

There is so much to learn everyday I am adding to the "learn about" pile, you have added a couple more pieces. Thanks again.