Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2009, 13:09   #31

Boat: Privilege 37
An Iroquois is a fast cat designed for weekend use, short distance cruises and some racing.

You will often find them with a flying saucer on the top of the mast.

This is because unless you really watch them carefully, they behave like a hobie cat.

It is this class more than anyother that created the concept that catamarans capsize. The flying saucer is a float designed (with a bit of luck) to enable the boat to recover from the capsize.

Perfomance is great

Living accomodation is not!

This design is the total other end of the spectrum from the Catalac.

If you want a bit more performance/less cost then look at the Heavenly Twins - a lot of boat for 27ft.

at about 30,000 Euros, you can find some Prout Quest 31s, but they need a lot of money spent on them.
Old 22-02-2009, 14:48   #32

Boat: catalac 8M catamaran 27ft
Hi Talbot !

Yes, I know about the floating devices, I guess they will keep the boat from completely turning over... (which will allow assistance to get it back on both hulls) I guess the Saucer these days could be replaced by another device, like an inflatable lifejacket, smaller and less weight far above our heads

I guess this means sailing conservative and not think twice but immediately reef, why not? This is how I learnt to sail anyway, if you think the need for a reef might there, just do it !

Living accommodation, we know the Iroquois is a small boat, never been on one but we're planning to see some in the next few weeks (this obviously might make us change our minds, or not, I don't know the exact height in the cockpit but it won't be much I think...)

Most of the time, we would only be two people sailing, it should be big enough for us... (or not...)

One thing we would consider is having a shower installed though, it should be possible, I saw this described in an old ad on Iroquois Owners Association For Sale , second in the list is Iroquois MkII, #83, Pow Wow, they claim to have a shower. I tried e-mailing for information and/or pictures on this but no reply yet...

And yes, Catalac, Prout, and other Cats of about the same age are mostly designed other end of the spectrum and unfortunately this also affected the 'look' of the boat (I know one lives inside) and we (my wife and me that is) think the Iroquois looks great (for its age and our budget).

Djeeke
Old 23-02-2009, 06:07   #33
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Djeeke, I tend to agree with your assessment: the beam to length ratio is no worse than boats like the Catalac and Prout and, so long as you reef and raise the boards, you are no more apt to suffer from a wind driven capsize than in either of those boats. Yes, displacement is less and that is a factor, but that tends to be compensated for by the substantial reduction in windage compared to either the Prout or Catalac.

Furthermore, it is abolutely incorrect to say that the Iroquois sails like a Hobie - I know someone who owned one for 15 years and NEVER raised a hull. However, with its high SA/D ratio and high aspect main it is decidedly on the performance side of the equation and, unless heavily reefed, is obviously going to be more suspectible to capsizing than the boats to which it is being compared. In addition, of course, while the boards provide more lift and better resistance to leeway, they should be raised in gusty conditions to ensure that you don't 'trip' over them.

The Iroquois will definitely be more of a challenge to sail, but then again, it has the potential to be more rewarding in terms of performance. As to the relative lack of interior space - well, that is a compromise that only you and your wife can decide.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2009, 05:41   #34
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
I have some news that may be of interest.

There is a Catalac 8M in Brittany, France that went aground and the owner is offering the boat free of charge.

Details are here

I have the owner's phone number. If interested, email me directly
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2009, 06:39   #35
CF Adviser

Hey, sounds to me like a great opportunity. And Djeeke, even if you don't like the appearance of the Catalac, they were extremely well built and have proven to be not only comfortable but seaworthy. Further, as I recall there is no core in the hull so repairs should be fairly straightforward.

Brad
Old 24-02-2009, 07:44   #36
cruiser

You're right, solid hulls, no coring. These boats are built like battleships. Considering the sail area they were designed for, they had to be.

The guy is offering everything. Not a stripped down hull. Engines and equipment are included.

It is an opportunity that doesn't occur often.
Old 24-02-2009, 11:18   #37

Thanks Rick !

I read the letter on your site...

I just sent the owner an e-mail (you are in copy) to get a bit more information on the boat and also asking him why he is not trying to repair the boat himself. (as this might point to more costs than I can estimate right now)

I'm curious...

If it is beached, do you guys think an emergency repair could easily be done on the beach, allowing the boat to be motored or sailed to a yard for proper repair ?

Djeeke
Old 24-02-2009, 11:47   #38
cruiser

That's a difficult question. I'm on the wrong side of the Atlantic to have any knowledge of the Brittany coast line. In order to breach a solid Fiberglass hull, it would have to be smashed against rocks.

I'm certain the owner has photos of the damaged area. Your email to the owner was the correct action to begin the process of asking the right questions.
Old 24-02-2009, 13:04   #39
CF Adviser

Djeeke, I'm sure the boat isn't merely beached - and that the damage to the hulls is going to require more than a quick, on-site fix. That being said, in relatively calm conditions you could likely tow her a short distance to a yard by lining the damaged parts of the hulls with mats and then filling them with some large inner tubes. I've seen inner tubes used to float sunken keelboats, so the cat shouldn't be a problem.

The fact that the rig is apparently intact is good news (as obviously the structural damage hasn't extended to the chain plates). The initial issue may be in getting her off of the shore - dragging her off sounds like a recipe for disaster, and a barge with a sufficiently large crane will no doubt be expensive.

Brad
Old 24-02-2009, 13:36   #40

Hi Brad !

Yup, I think too the damage will be more that just a small breach, as he mentions the two engines were in the water and now in a shop...
If repair costs would be reasonable, I can't see why the current owner would decide to give his boat away or otherwise just cut it to pieces...

Repair costs might be higher that the current value of the boat (not to mention towing it to a boatyard as you mention)

Let's wait for his reply to my mail...

Old 24-02-2009, 15:20   #41
cruiser

I'm rather curious myself. If it's not too much trouble, could you keep us informed?
Old 24-02-2009, 15:30   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic Cat View Post
I'm rather curious myself. If it's not too much trouble, could you keep us informed?
No trouble at all
Old 28-02-2009, 07:09   #43

No response to my mails yet...

Strange story if one asks, I wrote in French (mother tongue) as well as English so I guess he should have been able to understand my questions...

Old 28-02-2009, 07:53   #44

Prout Ranger 34

Anybody able to tell me something about the Prout Ranger series?

There is a 34 ft ranger for sale at a bargain price, I am expecting pictures today and I guess I will need to plan a visit to this boat soon...

You guys know by now I am planning to see some Iroquois catamaran's, this is obviously a different boat...
But I suppose a this 34 ft Ranger has a quite some more accommodation space than anIroquois. The budget is equal though so this might nice for us (we plan to live long periods on the boat so additional space is welcome).

I am expecting more details this evening...

Thanks for any idea's on this one...
Old 28-02-2009, 09:14   #45
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Prout, Quasar, 50'
Djeeke,
Log onto CruisersLife.com, go to the visitors page and leave me your email address. I have friends who owned a Ranger years ago. They loved it. I'll have them contact you directly.

Loree
Aboard SeaWolf
CruisersLife.com
Sea Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc, liveaboard