Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 3.29 average. Display Modes
Old 31-08-2008, 15:33   #46

Boat: B24
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailrjim View Post
Perhaps pecular to that vessel, but I noticed that any sort of noise from the rigging was magnified greatly in the forward berth...
Pretty much the case with all vessels -- it isn't by accident that the officer quarters tend to be aft, while the sailors berth forward... I suppose there may be exceptions I'm not aware of, but FWD berths are only used by the very, very young at heart with any sort of a seaway in any boat I've been on...
Old 30-12-2008, 03:24   #47
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailrjim View Post
" On the delivery of a FP Athena 38 down the east coast of the USA, off shore, I can say that the motion and noise from the sea was nearly unbearable in the forward berths, but not bothersome in the aft berths. Perhaps pecular to that vessel, but I noticed that any sort of noise from the rigging was magnified greatly in the forward berth but not in the aft.
I agree completely. This past summer I dropped my mast and rewired it with an eye on reducing wind noise. Catalac masts have an interior extruded wiring channel specifically designed to eliminate cabling noise. Although the design greatly reduces 'interior mast banging' (no interior halyards) I couldn't eliminate the cable movement noise. This can be annoying. Especially when attempting sleep less than 4' from the mast base.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2008, 07:43   #48
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
The PDQ Altair gets standing headroom using a slider that is covered by a hard bimini

In cold weather (I just delivered mine 100 miles up the Chesapeake in 25 kn winds and 40F highs) you leave the slider closed and stoop a little. But when it is open it works well. A good compromise for a smaller cat. You can leave it open in the rain 95% of the time.
thinwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 10:28   #49
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
If I were sailing in Northern Europe and the Med I would want to consider the Canal system as a limitation to beam width. If the mast were easy to raise and lower, this would expand your adventure area and sailing season significantly! The PDQ 32 has a 16 foot beam. The Gemini 14'.

This would sacrifice the performance rewards of Wood's designs. And the logical extrapolation might go so far as to recommend a Dutch Barge with lea boards and gaff headed schooner rig, but what the heck, its all sailing!
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 23:08   #50

Boat: Privilege 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic Cat View Post
This past summer I dropped my mast and rewired it with an eye on reducing wind noise. Catalac masts have an interior extruded wiring channel specifically designed to eliminate cabling noise. Although the design greatly reduces 'interior mast banging' (no interior halyards) I couldn't eliminate the cable movement noise.
I never had any problems from the cable in the mast or from internal halyards (I had modified my mast to fit them. But, I did have some problems when the wind was in a certain direction, of a harmonic howl from it. and this transmitted itself down the mast into the cabin.
Old 02-01-2009, 07:53   #51
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
I get a what sounds like a rubbing noise which is transmitted into the cabin. It only occurs if the wind is around 20 knots or higher.

BTW ... Happy New Year !!
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2009, 09:33   #52

Boat: 880 waller catamaran
pirate

if you still looking for a small cat to build, look at Mike Waller designs.
Mike Waller Yacht Design - Main Menu
I built the 880, and your needs description is that boat.
Polunu880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2009, 07:59   #53
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
On my previous cat the wind would play a dirge on my mast as it blew over several openings like a flute. I partially solved the problem by wrapping a halyard around the lower openings, just enough to disturb the flow.
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2009, 17:24   #54
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: 1999 Hughes 30 Cat
KD 860 completed

This boat was completed in Croatia this year. It is a Bernd Kohler KD 860. Here is the link to the photos by the builder http://www.games-marine.hr/galerija.html

Pat
Pat Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2009, 05:12   #55
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: 1999 Hughes 30 Cat
Posted for Bernd Kohler by Pat Ross:

Attention, the boat you can see on this link http://www.games-marine.hr/galerija.html

is a heavy changed version of my original design. The changes where made without my consent !

The original design is on the K-designs website.

Best regards

Bernd Kohler
K-designs
France
Pat Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2009, 07:38   #56

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2
So, its been over a year since this thread was started, it would be interesting to know what design the OP eventually chose if any,he had a good plan and realistic assessment of his needs.
Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2009, 16:16   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockwork orange View Post
So, its been over a year since this thread was started, it would be interesting to know what design the OP eventually chose if any,he had a good plan and realistic assessment of his needs.
Steve.
Situation changed quite a bit. The economy meltdown started and our long term plan was no longer a priority.

Then a couple of months ago my wife got a nice severance package offer for employees that quit "voluntarily" and she accepted. This money opened new options for us.
In the meantime boat prices dropped, so newer boats came into our price range. Reassesment of our situation brought us to a new plan: Buy a boat near the tropics instead of building and sailing it there. Spend the year in carribean / Bahamas / US waters. Get back home and continue life.

I opted for a 1 year parental leave and will get back into my job in Nov 2010. It's not the perfect time for us (the kids are 3 and 4 and I'd like to wait another year or two) but now is our chance to go.

In September I made a trip to Florida to shop around for used boats and found lots of neglected crap but also some nice examples. Finally one came fine through the survey, only minor issues and owner was OK to deal with. It's a 2004 Gemini 105 in mint condition, fitted out for a retired liveaboard couple with wind gen, solar, davits, etc. The couple is no longer a couple and owner wants to get rid of the boat (or the memories??).

So I will not experience the joy of building a boat. But then I will still have a family to go cruising with

The Gemini is not really a bluewater performance boat but a modest coastal cruiser with a really nice layout, providing excellent privacy for a family with two kids. It can handle the Bahamas / Carribean trip and is cheap enough to keep a nice cruising kitty. It's not a perfect load carrier so it's nice to have enough money to eat out often

Since it's more a coastal cruiser I don't know if we want to bring it to Europe afterwards. Maybe we will keep it there or just sell it after the trip. Time & first hand experience with the boat will tell.

So if everything goes as planned we will leave after christmas for Florida and then go cruising
shnean66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2009, 08:00   #58

Boat: None, sadly
Might not be original, but looks like a really nice job. Not for blue water, perhaps, but great for family coastal cruising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Ross View Post
Posted for Bernd Kohler by Pat Ross:

Attention, the boat you can see on this link http://www.games-marine.hr/galerija.html

is a heavy changed version of my original design. The changes where made without my consent !

The original design is on the K-designs website.

Best regards

Bernd Kohler
K-designs
France
seacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2009, 18:52   #59

Boat: Catalac 12M - Llamedos
If you are serious about building and you are looking at flat panel type construction and you want proven designs, then I would suggest you take a serious look at the Wharram Cats. The Tiki 31 (James Wharram Designs -Home of the self-build Catamaran.) might be an answer, but would be too small for a trip to the Caribbean. Remember, a boat that is twice as long takes 4 times as much material and will weight 8 times as much (more or less!). It really depends on how much work you are prepared to do yourself and what materials you can buy. The Wharram website gives really good estimates of requirements to build - materials, costs, time, etc. I would suggest a visit to his site before you make a final decision.
peterfynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2009, 18:57   #60

Boat: Catalac 12M - Llamedos
Oops. OK, so you are going to get a Gemini. Nice boat. Sorry my post above was not too relevant seeing as you had already decided to travel to the Caribbean.
peterfynn is offline   Reply With Quote