Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-09-2019, 07:46   #16

Boat: Planet, Earth LOA∞
Re: small cat liveaboard&slow circumnavigation: PDQ 32 or FP 35 Tobago or Lagoon 35CC

I'm widening your search

Many don't fit your criteria, but in the spirit of benefiting others I post them as well.

Catana 46s Turkey/Germany? €75
Flica 34 Portugal €81
outremer in France €90
outremer in Finland €95
TRT2000 Sweden €100
outremer in Maine $100
40 leopard in Kemah $135
fcftampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2019, 11:56   #17

Re: small cat liveaboard&slow circumnavigation: PDQ 32 or FP 35 Tobago or Lagoon 35CC

Hi,

sorry, didn't see the 100k barrier.
Perhaps a Gemini if you looked into PDQs?
There are a few available in Europa, mostly non charter to my knowledge.
harlem24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2019, 14:33   #18

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcftampa View Post
I'm widening your search

Many don't fit your criteria, but in the spirit of benefiting others I post them as well.

Catana 46s Turkey/Germany? €75
Flica 34 Portugal €81
outremer in France €90
outremer in Finland €95
TRT2000 Sweden €100
outremer in Maine $100
40 leopard in Kemah $135
Thanks, Could find the Catana,Filca and 40 Leopard but cannot find the 3 outremer. Can you please post a link.
Catana 46S is worth digging deeper, contacted owner.
TRT 1200CR my Cup of tea...fast boat...contacted owner
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2019, 14:59   #19
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRivet View Post
Thanks, Could find the Catana,Filca and 40 Leopard but cannot find the 3 outremer. Can you please post a link.
Catana 46S is worth digging deeper, contacted owner.
TRT 1200CR my Cup of tea...fast boat...contacted owner

The TRT at the price they’re asking is a steal if in good condition.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2019, 19:12   #20

Watch beam and bridge deck clearance........ those are both huge concerns. The PDQ at only 16' beam would be out as far as I'm concerned for what you are doing. You want 18-19 foot beanm. Decks that go all the way to the bows should be cut from your list... The cabin should start well aft, and there should be netting at the bows. If you can't take your dinghy under the bridge deck....it's too low..... If it has a stand up cabin on a boat that size, it should also have daggers if you want to avoid excessive leeway. Mini keels help, but daggers allow you to sail much closer to the wind.

Those are the conclusions I've reached in the same basic quest..........

Consider owner built cats.... Richard Woods designs, Simpson, Kelsall. There is nothing wrong with plywood / epoxy construction if done properly.

H.W.
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2019, 20:45   #21

Boat: Lagoon 400

Besides the three you list I suggest adding the TPI Lagoon 37. Cheers
pathlesschosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2019, 21:56   #22

Quote:
cannot find the 3 outremer. Can you please post a link.
Can't find exact ads now, but here are similar ads for same boats

look in markt section >10mts for 2 outremers
outremer 2
outremer 3
Old 23-09-2019, 06:06   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
The TRT at the price they’re asking is a steal if in good condition.
Fully Agreed, didn't know the brand.

a great boat from the research I done and would fit 95% my needs when refitted, which is beyond I imagined. So very view compromises but one important one...see below

What I really like is 38ft=space and fast&sturdy like hell, the cockpit setup&layout, no hidden panels besides floor so everything is easy accessable and you right away see when something is wrong/fails. Easy to maintain too.

Biggest compromis is galley really down like in a monohull and light/visibility/ventilation in the cabins...only 1 hatch each. I can live with that and hatches can be added.
Really bad: not the flip up rudders so no beaching possible, retrofit them is too expensive! thats something I have to really think about....

Electronics are Raymarine 2013...on the boarder but works in combination with Ipads.

BUT the boat would need serious upgrade to work for me:
a) biggest challenge: hardtop bimini (also needed to mount solar panels) for protection from elements in bad weather and sun. That is a must have. The traveller and lines to boom are the problem here. That would require a shorter top=less shade from stern and an angled back wall/section to the stern which result in loss of some seroius cockpit space which is already on the small side. Thats already 10k min....
b)2 wind gens+solar: solar min 800W better 1000W, mostly mounted on hardtop bimini and davits
c) Electric: 600AH of Lithium, charger+controller, a 3500W inverter, all the cabling with it. Mainly to run Watermaker, washing maschine and galley stuff of the batteries. Cooking mainly with BBQ electric contact grill and a small Panasonic Microwave/Steamer/oven combination so less gas needed but needs a 3000W inverter to run properly. gas stove+oven still as backup or where it makes more sense.
d) switch to and add LED+ventiltors throughout the whole boat
e) 2 fridges and 1 freezer, only a small on there. room in the galley to install a bigger one, 2nd+freezer see h).
f) small watermaker approx 10l/h+ piping/cableing => needs less current=smaller cables and less power from battery bank, mostly 1 or 2 on board.
g) convert one of the 150l water tanks to diesel tank+piping
h) add washing machine => that luxery is a kinda must for me which requires one front berth to convert to stroage+washmachine+freezer room, I am ok with that.
i) a small genset like honda suitcase as backup for 220V, engines have 2x120A

j) maybe due to bad cabin ventilation (i assume and a review stated that too) an AC, would try without but there is a 50/50 chance I would need it.

I assume thats 30-40k (without j)) when work done 80% myself=2 month full time in best case...
Am I right?
Old 23-09-2019, 06:29   #24

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by owly View Post
Watch beam and bridge deck clearance........ those are both huge concerns. The PDQ at only 16' beam would be out as far as I'm concerned for what you are doing. You want 18-19 foot beanm. Decks that go all the way to the bows should be cut from your list... The cabin should start well aft, and there should be netting at the bows. If you can't take your dinghy under the bridge deck....it's too low..... If it has a stand up cabin on a boat that size, it should also have daggers if you want to avoid excessive leeway. Mini keels help, but daggers allow you to sail much closer to the wind.

Those are the conclusions I've reached in the same basic quest..........

Consider owner built cats.... Richard Woods designs, Simpson, Kelsall. There is nothing wrong with plywood / epoxy construction if done properly.

H.W.
You seem to be putting your own concerns/prejudices onto the OP. Narrow beam boat can often get away with lower bridgedeck there is a whole article on it somewhere online. Netting at the bow might be preferred, but there is nothing inherently unsafe about boats like the Broadblue 346 that has a solid bridgedeck.

Even old Prouts have done many circumnavigations without problem. I will agree with you though that they do slam like made when beating hard, and few would be most people's first choice given the modern designs out there.

Old boats like the Comanche 32 have a narrow beam but don't tend to slam too much, probably less than something like a Kynsa 440.

If it's stability in terms of capsizing you are concerned about, then that is all to do with COE/COB. It's logarithmic scale in relation to the beam.

For the OP, a Privelage either in the 37' or 39' variety would be my choice. I don't care for their looks, and they aren't fast, but they are solidly built (a whole other level compared to Lagoon/FP etc..), quick enough, and very comfortable. I was pleasantly surprised by the one I've been on.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2019, 06:34   #25

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

If you are looking to go all (or mostly) electric, this thread has very good info (the entire boat can be run from solar and batteries): http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ey-201795.html

And pricing on page 2 (probably a step further than you proposed above, so your costs could be less):

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
Oh well, the money...

5 x BenQ Panels each 306 € =1530 €
Victron SmartSolar MPPT 150/100-Tr =809€
stainless steel frame inclusive labour =2000€
flexible wires and cable shoes etc. =500€
breaker, diodes, electronics stuff, =100€
LFP cells LYP1000AHC 4x1240€ =4960 €
massive copper rail 2m =50€
4x latching relay 500A 12V ML-RBS =600 €
REC Active BMS mit Display, Kabel, Sensor=545 €
other material (stainless steel screws, washers, shrink tube etc. =150€
Victron Quattro 12/5000/220-100/100 =3082€
Victron BMV-712=214€
Victron MK3 USB Interface =71€

so inclusive the oven and the induction cooktop it was an investment of round about 16000€.

All parts were bought online; research, engineering and installation all DIY except for the stainless steel frame for the panels.

All prices incl. 19% VAT

Not includet is the price of the vessel of course [emoji56].

It was not that expensive, it's a lot of high-end electronics.
Hope this helps
jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2019, 13:07   #26
smj

Same TRT?
https://www.finn.no/boat/forsale/ad....kode=127396954
Down to 84,000 euros
Old 23-09-2019, 17:14   #27

Quote:

Yes the same and in contact with the owner.

It's 900'000Nok or 90000Euro, not 84000.

What do you think of it by the pictures and info given?
Old 23-09-2019, 17:21   #28
smj

Quote:
Yes exactly that one, in contact with the owner.

What do you think of it by the pictures and info given?

Being that we own a TRT 1200 GT I May be a little biased, but I like it. I’m not a fan of the Diesel engines in the boat as I personally like outboards and outboards work really well in this design, but I’m sure the diesels are fine.
I also don’t know if it would be the right boat for you as it seems you want to ad quite a bit of weight, and I would consider these cats to be sensitive to weight. That being said she seems to be able to handle an additional 4,000 lbs as payload which surprised me. No doubt the more you weigh her down the more you will lose the performance advantages of this cat, and she is designed to absolutely perform.
Old 23-09-2019, 18:08   #29

My finders fee for the TRT is an invite to sail if you're ever in my area.
Old 24-09-2019, 00:18   #30

Quote:
Being that we own a TRT 1200 GT I May be a little biased, but I like it. I’m not a fan of the Diesel engines in the boat as I personally like outboards and outboards work really well in this design, but I’m sure the diesels are fine.
I also don’t know if it would be the right boat for you as it seems you want to ad quite a bit of weight, and I would consider these cats to be sensitive to weight. That being said she seems to be able to handle an additional 4,000 lbs as payload which surprised me. No doubt the more you weigh her down the more you will lose the performance advantages of this cat, and she is designed to absolutely perform.
You are the perfect guy to judge.

Regarding weight I am quite sensitive to (see former posts) but that is needed on any boat I get for my purpose. If I convert one water into diesel tank that gear I will add on is 300 till 400kg max. which is well within the specified payload. So I am convinced the performance reduction is minimal. And even if my priority is to find a safe, sturdy and capable cat for my purposes and that the trt ticks all boxes. The performance is a welcomed add on and shortes longer passages. I am sure the TRT loaded up to the max possible will always be faster then the 3 35ft I initially focused on. I like outboards too but for my purposes 2 diesel inboard with 120A each charging capabilities is better and summed up what 2 out boarder + heavy genset+additional fuel weight, the weight gain is small. Plus security issues with 200l gas fuel....

Tags
circumnavigation, lagoon, liveaboard, navigation, pdq, Tobago