Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2021, 05:46   #31
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Small Bluewater capable Cat

Boats in your budget..
Prout..
Catalac..
Heavenly Twins..
Iroquois..
Edel..
Wharrams..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 07:16   #32

Re: Small Bluewater capable Cat

There was/is a 33 ft Prout. The Quest.
Leighpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 07:26   #33

Without a budget figure , advice will not be accurate. Also most small cats are outboard powered. Any boat that’s good for the Med is good for the Atlantic. There’s nothing special about the Atlantic, it’s just more sailing. The cost of trans Atlantic shipping should just be added to your purchase budget rather to allow yourself to afford a better boat.

This will give you an idea of what available in Europe. I bought my boat ( Woods Eclipse ) through this broker ). https://www.multihull.nl/

Trimarans might suit too. Not much space but any small cat without a bridgedeck cabin is even smaller.
Old 12-07-2021, 08:44   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leighpilot View Post
Without a budget figure , advice will not be accurate. Also most small cats are outboard powered. Any boat that’s good for the Med is good for the Atlantic. There’s nothing special about the Atlantic, it’s just more sailing. The cost of trans Atlantic shipping should just be added to your purchase budget rather to allow yourself to afford a better boat.

This will give you an idea of what available in Europe. I bought my boat ( Woods Eclipse ) through this broker ). https://www.multihull.nl/

Trimarans might suit too. Not much space but any small cat without a bridgedeck cabin is even smaller.
How much is trans Atlantic shipping?
SV WELDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 10:58   #35

I don’t know but I do know it’s too much to be viable on his budget. Cats are wide and that equals too much deck space/ freight rate on a ship. It’d take a huge chunk out of his $50k. There are a few bridgedeck cats on that Dutch site that would do the job in warm waters for under $15k. Even a nice tri. Any of those boats will cross the Atlantic on their own bottoms without issue. The question now is how much comfort is the OP hoping to get for his $50k. He’d best figure on buying for $30k and reserving the rest for fixing stuff. You always need it.
Old 12-07-2021, 15:41   #36

Boat: EDELCAT33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve4NJ View Post
Hi!
I am new here but not to sailing. Used to have a Hunter 27 in my youth.

I retired early and I have a 2 year timeline to find, purchase, outfit, and sail a catamaran around the Caribbean before crossing into the Med.

It will just be me and a very lazy 5 pound dog. I do not require much in the way of luxurious features and stuff, none of that is important to me.

Something under 30 feet would be perfect as I will be alone.
My friend has a Hirondelle that he loves and I was on it but it doesn't strike me as a boat that could make an Atlantic crossing.

I saw a lot of videos of a Heavenly Twins cats cruising all over and some you tube feedback I got when I asked said they ARE capable of a Transatlantic crossing.

So I need advice, on either of those two or a boat that I am not aware of existing.

NOTE: I have a VERY strict budget. I retired EARLY and my money HAS to go a long way until I can collect Social Security.

Also, I am MORE than willing, if need be, to have a boat than CAN cruise the Med but CANNOT cross the Atlantic SHIPPED to Spain or wherever. I do NOT mind paying the transport fee if that is what I have to do.

So, any ideas? My only comfort requirement is a marine head with a holding tank. I don't like porta or composting heads. Prefer a diesel inboard and I WILL be setting up a Windvane self steer.

Thanks!

Stephen

You can try to find an EDEL33 or 35 in the USA, or Caribbean. My emEdel33 started as a Med boat, down to South Africa, across to Brasil, then to Bahamas, then Miami. All in its own power.
For what you are describing, this will good for you and your dog for the central cabin, lots of room, good for Med, and should be cheap to find. If you are afraid of crossing the Atlantic then take it apart and place it inside a 40 ft container. This boat is demountable.
I remember one edel35 for sell in Florida west coast, one in Panama, one in the Caribbean.

Don’t get confused with the “new” EDELCAT33 from 2012. Look for the 1995 to 2000 boats.

If you get one, invest on a code zero sail on a roller furller. Keep it light, and have ways to slow it down. I have used two ropes in each hull connected to chain and a car tire. It works very well. I also have a parachute but never used on a big blow that could not be handled by the rope/tire system on bare poles.
carlosproa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 22:06   #37

Boat: Still building

Have a look at 'Wildlings Sailing' on You Tube. Two young 'uns restoring a Cherokee 35, big brother to the more common Iroquois 30, built by Sailcraft UK.
This will give you an insight into 'cheap catamarans' of this vintage.
They are on a stringent budget, and are largely funding the rebuild via YT income and sponsorship/donations via Patreon.
Not suggesting you emulate this, but it is an option, especially if the bucks are a bit tight as you imply.
As an idea of what else you could produce, video-wise, try searching out 'Adventures of an Old Seadog' also on You Tube. Barry is solo, of an age, and is getting around without even a dog for company.
Also be aware that some countries are riduiculously strict on animal arrivals - e.g. my home of Australia. Basically if you have a dog don't come here....or be prepared for the quarantine BS....
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2021, 11:02   #38

Boat: Summer Twins 25

I don’t really agree - 50k is plenty to buy a CAT with an Inboard. It will just be old and not so shiny
I paid less than £20,000 GBP
26ft Summer Twins, rigging All good, Engine Good, few issues to sort out and I have opted to replace some electronics. But nothing to worry about.
True I don’t have Hot water or a shower.
I wouldn’t touch the Hirondle - can’t spell it either, when you push them hard doesn’t feel like it could take it.
irqurios - don’t they have a float on the mast 😂 give Cats a bad name.
HT would be good and there is a bigger version can’t remember the name. Certainly seen them for sale in the States.
The Summer Twins - don’t know if they are still all on the UK side of the Atlantic.
Or any Proat -the Snowgoose is legendary
Shaneesprit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2021, 12:27   #39
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaneesprit View Post
I wouldn’t touch the Hirondle - can’t spell it either, when you push them hard doesn’t feel like it could take it.
irqurios - don’t they have a float on the mast �� give Cats a bad name.
The Iroquois Mk1 had the anti capsize device atop the mast, it was primarily built for being competitive.
The Mk2 had a shorter mast and was slightly wider and more stable and built for cruising.
As for the Hirondelle, at 24ft its to light weight, great for estuary's and coast hopping in fair weather but that's it, as a live aboard it'd be even worse than the Heavenly Twins..
If you do go for an HT choose the Mk3 or 4, better yet the HT27.

Old 13-07-2021, 12:47   #40

iroquois in st augustine fl below his budget
https://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/boa...336603015.html

this is bigger than what he wants.
https://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/boa...341062221.html
Old 13-07-2021, 12:49   #41
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by fillintheblank View Post
iroquois in st augustine fl below his budget
https://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/boa...336603015.html

this is bigger than what he wants.
https://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/boa...341062221.html

That Iroquois has probably been on the market for 10+ years. We saw it from a distance a few months ago and it looked rough.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2021, 14:02   #42
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

He could buy this and have it delivered to the Caribe.. Granada for example..

https://yachts.apolloduck.co.uk/boat...or-sale/660398

Old 13-07-2021, 14:11   #43

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

OP: Why must it be a cat?

Sea Runner trimarans are pretty well regarded. Lots of deck space for the doggie. And the price is right.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2021, 00:12   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaneesprit View Post
I don’t really agree - 50k is plenty to buy a CAT with an Inboard. It will just be old and not so shiny
I paid less than £20,000 GBP
26ft Summer Twins, rigging All good, Engine Good, few issues to sort out and I have opted to replace some electronics. But nothing to worry about.
True I don’t have Hot water or a shower.
irqurios - don’t they have a float on the mast �� give Cats a bad name.
HT would be good and there is a bigger version can’t remember the name. Certainly seen them for sale in the States.
The Summer Twins - don’t know if they are still all on the UK side of the Atlantic.
Or any Proat -the Snowgoose is legendary
Crossed the Atlantic on your 26ft Summer Twin that doesn't like to be pushed too hard?
Sam G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2021, 10:03   #45

Boat: Summer Twins 25

nope not crossed the Atlantic in the summer twins, wish I had the time.
But it doesn’t struggle in a strong wind, being 8m long and nearly 5m wide, and a very high bow.
my point was the although the Hirondelle is only 3 feet shorter, it’s actually a much smaller boat and sailing it in moderate wind, you can’t really let it go,
and there are plenty of Heavenly Twins around the world ( Summer Twin was the Heavenly Replacement)
If someone wants to sail in a small boat that’s up to them. we all know in the wrong weather any boat can be in trouble.
Shaneesprit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bluewater, water