Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2021, 09:17   #16

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Re: Small Bluewater capable Cat

What’s the buy and outfit budget?
If we don’t know that you are going to get a lot of suggestions out of your budget range.
Adelie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 09:55   #17

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

Island Packet. Packet Cat 35. Built tough, plenty of headroom, inboards diesels that have enough room to make servicing them not a backbreking big deal.
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 14:46   #18

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

I have not read his book in about 40 years, but wasn't it Chris White who wrote in his book "The Cruising Multihull" that for ocean sailing, a multihull should be no smaller than 40 ft?
Old 07-07-2021, 15:38   #19

Boat: Lagoon TPI 37'

I have sailed and enjoyed the Fountaine Pajot Tobago 35'.

I liked the build quality and user functions of it. It feels much more solid than the Gemini and cost is not much more. It has much more beam than the Gemini and most of the other catamarans mentioned and has Twin engines. I have a couple of single screw catamarans near me in the marina and it is always alot of drama during docking.
sailingchiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 18:20   #20
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingchiro View Post
I have sailed and enjoyed the Fountaine Pajot Tobago 35'.

I liked the build quality and user functions of it. It feels much more solid than the Gemini and cost is not much more. It has much more beam than the Gemini and most of the other catamarans mentioned and has Twin engines. I have a couple of single screw catamarans near me in the marina and it is always alot of drama during docking.

When you say single screw are you talking a single diesel in one hull or a single outboard or outdrive that’s centered?
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 02:17   #21

Unless you give us some sort of price range the answers are goi g to be all over the place. To me budget = Wharram, to others budget might mean a 40’ ex charter cat.
Throw us a bone.
Redreuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 05:03   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redreuben View Post
Unless you give us some sort of price range the answers are goi g to be all over the place. To me budget = Wharram, to others budget might mean a 40’ ex charter cat.
Throw us a bone.
When the OP mentions under 30ft as desirable but rules out about the only under 30ft cruising cat that might be suitable...that gives you the 30-35ft range...40ft is pretty clearly outside the expectations.

There are a limited number of options but many of them have been around for years, so finding one in the right price range is a matter of adjusting the age to get the price in budget...though giving a budget will help, it's not critical.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 21:01   #23

Boat: Lagoon TPI 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
When you say single screw are you talking a single diesel in one hull or a single outboard or outdrive that’s centered?
Single that is centered.
sailingchiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 09:55   #24

I don't like revealing my finances for various reasons BUT I will say that I would rather keep it under $50k if at all possible.
It's just me and a small dog with a big attitude. My comfort levels are very basic. As far as the engine goes I would rather have a small inboard diesel that I can access rather easily if I have to work on it or pull it out for a rebuild.

I do not mind buying something that is basically a sound hull and rebuilding it from that, I have access to everything I would need to get that done. I would rather NOT but it is not a disqualifying factor.
A boat to me is like a basic car: as long as it runs good and gets me where I am going in safety than the added features do not play any importance.
Steve4NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 09:58   #25
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Small Bluewater capable Cat

Good attitude.. function over form..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 23:04   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve4NJ View Post
I don't like revealing my finances for various reasons BUT I will say that I would rather keep it under $50k if at all possible.
It's just me and a small dog with a big attitude. My comfort levels are very basic. As far as the engine goes I would rather have a small inboard diesel that I can access rather easily if I have to work on it or pull it out for a rebuild.

I do not mind buying something that is basically a sound hull and rebuilding it from that, I have access to everything I would need to get that done. I would rather NOT but it is not a disqualifying factor.
A boat to me is like a basic car: as long as it runs good and gets me where I am going in safety than the added features do not play any importance.
At this budget, size, and fact that you want a blue-water capable vessel, why not rather consider a mono? As you go smaller, in particular the beam, you risking sea-worthiness and $50K for a cat of any size sounds like a ton of investment and pain. Personally, I would not do any blue-water ocean-crossing sailing in the less-than-30’ cat target (and I have crossed the Atlantic on a cat.)

You would be better off finding a 34-38’ older mono and doing the work to get her fixed up. Less investment, headache, and risk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve4NJ View Post
Well, key difference is that if the car breaks down or crashes you have people around you and you not alone in the middle of the Atlantic. While the roads are dangerous these days for sure, they not bashing you for days on end when the weather is foul. ;-)
Sam G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 04:05   #27

Searunner 34.
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 04:39   #28

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Your not going to get much of a Cat for 50 Grand,
Sorry to say,
But you might be lucky,

Cheers Brian,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 05:09   #29
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Edel 35?

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1991/edel-35-3853989/
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 05:40   #30
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Small Bluewater capable Cat

Boats in your budget..
Prout..
Catalac..
Heavenly Twins..
Iroquois..
Edel..
Wharrams..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bluewater, water