Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2008, 18:13   #61

Boat: Designing a global explorer (full keel & steel)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
If you can't find any data about them, I'm certainly not going to waste my time looking.
I think that's a fair comment & just to be clear here mate, next time you ask us a silly question then I'll ensure that you receive the same type of comment with a referenced link to your post
exfishnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2008, 18:20   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by northerncat View Post
i am a very friendly bloke, sometimes i find it quite funny though how some people take this so seriously though.....
That a very good post.

I have nothing personal against multi's (& I also considered a cat design) & I've already expressed this to Mr 44'cruisingcat previously, however, he seems to either have short term memory or "mad cow"
Old 18-07-2008, 20:18   #63

I suppose you'll claim that remarks like that aren't intended to give offence.

For someone who supposedly has nothing against multihulls I have to wonder why you start threads that do nothing but insinuate they are unseaworthy. And why virtually every post you make in this section of the forum does the same. You've even suggested that a lifeboat is unseaworthy simply because it has two hulls. Yet a few posts earlier you were claiming it was virtually a monohull anyway.

Most of us are able to respect the choice of boat others make, even if they are not the same as our own choice. Apparently you aren't. In fact I haven't seen you contribute one single shred of information to this side of the forum, just snide remarks, like your post above.

So in future your posts will be ignored.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2008, 20:22   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
So in future your posts will be ignored.
Have you never heard of the "right of reply"???

With respect, you're reading far too much into what just isn't there. & you call me a stirrer
Old 19-07-2008, 00:11   #65
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
44cruisingcat, I have not read any of what you are suggesting Exfishnz has posted. He certainly did not suggest the lifeboat was unseaworthy. I suggest you take the rose coloured glasses off and go read his posts again. And also as exfishnz has stated, you certainly were happy enough to get stuck in with attacks in regards to monos in another thread. You don't need fight on behalf of Multi's every time some comment is made. Especially when you read comments that are not there. Just trust that the qualities of a multi speak for themselves. However, not all of us are going to be able to afford one like you and are very happy with their Mono. You may feel that any slightly negative comment about mult's needs fighting against. But please realise that your attitude only comes across as..you speaking down your nose to me and my humble mono. It's quite insulting.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2008, 00:39   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by exfishnz View Post
I've been searching & so far I can't find one. I'm not stating that its not possible, I'm only asking you kindly for a reference.
As above in a previous post: "I'm not stating that its not possible".

I hold no malice towards CC44 & I continue to search for more data, why? Because its a good subject that I think would be in line with the principles of "Social Knowledge LLC" (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

In order to not "stand on toes" in this thread, I'll post any findings in the "off topic forum" under a new thread.

PS. Could one of "the others" please explain to me where the "Cook Strait" thread has gone? (PM will be fine thankyou )
Old 19-07-2008, 01:54   #67
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Is there any good reason why this thread should not be closed, on the grounds that the proposition implied in it's title is gratuitously offensive and inflammatory?

Negative generalities always seem to incite anger, which often escalates into a street fight. We appear to be on the verge of such a riot.

Persistent questioning is not necessarily diligent inquiry. Sometimes it’s just instigation, fomenting instability, or inciting to riot.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2008, 02:01   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Is there any good reason why this thread should not be closed, on the grounds that the proposition implied in it's title is gratuitously offensive and inflammatory?
If its that bad then why just not delete the entire thread? Actually second thoughts, if people are going to be so sensitive about certain titles then why not close the forum?
Old 19-07-2008, 02:12   #69

Quote:
Persistent questioning is not necessarily diligent inquiry. Sometimes it’s just instigation, fomenting instability, or inciting to riot.
I will refrain from asking you a question in regards to your post, I don't want to give you the wrong impression
Old 19-07-2008, 03:31   #70
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Closing threads, or even the whole forum, because a few individuals make it difficult for the vast majority to enjoy the discussion(s), would be a lot like throwing the baby out with the bath water.
Snide and supercilious remarks, stated or implied, are not fair comment and debate; they are merely tasteless and quarrelsome insubordination and defiance.
If some people insist upon being insensitive to other’s feelings (tactless), and unresponsive to wise counsel (obstreperous); they can be invited to leave.

The ‘Only for monohulls’ thread (or whatever the exact "bait" was), to which exfishnz refers, has been restored, under the new title “COOK STRAIT Weather”:
Goto: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...her-16385.html
cruisersforum.com/forums/f102/cook-strait-weather-16385.html

Old 19-07-2008, 04:00   #71

Quote:
The ‘Only for monohulls’ thread (or whatever the exact "bait" was), to which exfishnz refers, has been restored, under the new title “COOK STRAIT Weather”:
Goto: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...her-16385.html
cruisersforum.com/forums/f102/cook-strait-weather-16385.html
No sure what you mean by "bait", perhaps your reading something I'm not?

Sorry Gord, still can't access the thread, can anyone else?
Old 19-07-2008, 04:11   #72
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by exfishnz View Post
... Sorry Gord, still can't access the thread, can anyone else?
Try clicking on "Today's Posts".
I've just added a new post, to bring the thread up as new.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...her-16385.html

Old 19-07-2008, 18:37   #73
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 40 Trimaran, Siruis 22 mono, 16 foot MFG daysailor
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxingout View Post
I know of a chartered Privilege catamaran in the Caribbean that had a hose failure on a through hull. The charterers abandoned the catamaran because water was coming into the hull. They actually got on board a ship who "rescued" them. The charter agency knew the boat could not sink, and they found out where the boat was abandoned from the charterers, and they sent a recovery boat out to find the catamaran.

When they found it, the Privilege was motoring in circles with water up to a person's calf in one of the hulls. They fixed the leak, pumped the water out and returned it to charter base.

That's one of the reasons I brought my Privilege 39. I wanted a boat that was extremely difficult to sink.
I recall this incident also. I wondered at the reason for the crew panicking, but then I figured they where probably monohull sailors where water coming up over the floorboards is a reason to panic. The charter company was in a big hurry to find the boat before someone else could make a salvage claim. Now that would have been sweet.

Patrick, age 9
Steve Rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2008, 19:29   #74
cruiser

Can you sink a catamaran?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gludy View Post
All interesting stuff but how do you find out if the cat you are looking at can be sunk other than asking for comments from the dealer?
Well, to get back to the subject of the thread, the answer is, you do math. Water weighs 64 pounds per cubic foot. To float 64 pounds of boat, canned goods, or whatever is aboard, you need one cubic foot per 64 pounds of loaded boat. Your typical hull, deck and furniture is about 1 inch thick. That means that 12 square feet of the same will float 64 pounds. You can neglect the weight of fuel and water, because its weight and volume are about the same as sea water-it the tanks are under water. (This may not be true of a capsized catamaran, depending on where the tanks are.) Start measuring! If your boat displaces 6,400 pounds, you need 100 cubic feet to float it, but remember, it will sink to the level that it must in order to submerge 100 cubic feet, hence my comments about a boat that has an excess of only 500 pounds of buoyancy--Such a boat will float with just an inch or so above water. (Geminis will almost certainly sink, because they are made of solid fiberglass. Solid fiberglass is heavier than water, about 99 pounds per cubic foot. The only core is in the deck.)
BigCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2008, 20:08   #75

Boat: Privilege 37
I remember a couple of years ago two Catamarans got in big trouble on Rum Cay in the Bahamas. Basically one dragged anchor on the reefs the other got its steering damaged trying to come to the rescue of the other. The first boat was pretty much destroyed on the reef. The second, a Manta if I recall, made it to the other side of the island, but got holed when the steering was lost. It was abandoned by the owner. Both couples were okay, the manta washed up on another island a couple weeks latter.

Most cruising cats can take a LOT of damage before the completely sink. The number on my Privilege suggest that the entire bottom of both hulls would pretty much have to be ripped out for it to sink. Lost of foam core in the construction, severl water tight compartments and all.
Strygaldwir is offline   Reply With Quote