Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2021, 09:27   #1

Simpson 13.7 cat

Currently looking at a Simpson 13.7 cat. However, I find very little info about this cat. No reviews ect. Any tips?

Thanx in advance
zwergje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2021, 18:05   #2

Boat: Simpson 13.7 M Catamaran
Re: Simpson 13.7 cat

We bought one almost two years ago. Doing an all over refit on her and still learning.
SailingElaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2021, 00:48   #3

Nice! I understand the core is made of wood, correct? Reason I ask is that the one I am looking at has quite some work. One of the issues is a construction mistake. As a result core wood multiplex has gone wet. I believe it is hard to get a clear picture of how big the damage is before I get to work with it. Is there a good method to acces the damage to the core wood?
Old 24-07-2021, 16:54   #4

Boat: Simpson 13.7 M Catamaran

My husband can tell you more about that. We've found a few spots where water has gotten to the wood. Ours had been sitting at a slip for the last 7 years so we had her hauled out and took off all the bottom paint to the fiberglass since we wanted to be sure it was in good shape.

Basically I know that wherever he suspected water intrusion into the wood, we sanded, ground, or cut into the fiberglass to get to the wood to check on it. When we did find rot, he cut or drilled it out til we only saw good wood, then he put penetrating epoxy on it before he started laying up fiberglass. We certainly aren't experts at this. We watched all of the early youtube vids of sailing uma to see how they handled finding and fixing wood that has had water on it.

So far, we've been pretty lucky under the water line and didn't find a ton of problems. The freeboard and deck will have many more we already know, because they haven't been maintained for quite a while. For any area we saw there that has looked questionable, we just covered it with penetrating epoxy or thickened epoxy just to protect from more water until we can get to it. We know we have some rot on the beam that is forward of the trampolines and expect a fair amount of repair there. The places we found the most water intrusion was in the stub keels and the space between them and the hull. We cut into quite a lot of that area and drilled holes to let water drain - which it did for weeks. It did seem that all the water intrusion was limited to the keels and didn't affect the hulls - LUCKY!!

I'd be happy to share my hubby's contact info directly to you if you want to contact him.
SailingElaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2021, 17:22   #5

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

I have owned and built a couple of Simpsons
Construction could be of anything
Some were ply epoxy, some strip plank cedar epoxy, some were foam polyester, some were balsa epoxy

Gotta link?

Add:

If it's this one she's strip plank
You can see the plank print through
https://www.theyachtmarket.com/en/bo...-sale/1964275/

Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2021, 13:57   #6

Thank you kindly for your info. The cat I was looking at is indeed the Maria. I found out yesterday it has been sold. "Make a new plan Stan".