Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2020, 06:15   #1
RSH

Boat: Lagoon 380
Siliconized Bottom Paint?

Our Lagoon 380 has chewed through its Micron CSC ablative bottom paint, and I want to go with something different this time around.

Did a lot of research and came up with the SeaCoat Sea-Speed V 10 X, and I was wondering if any other catamaran owners have used this on their boat?

I know that Zatara has just put a similar type of coating on the bottom of their catamaran, and Delos has the Seacoat, but I'd like to get more feedback from other people who've tried it.

The pros for me: 1. not as harmful to the environment (although I'm not that sure copper is the massive toxin that people seem to think it is since barnacles are becoming adapted to it), 2. lasts for 8 years, 3. can make the boat a little faster (delos was seeing 1/2 to 1 knot increase in speed, not sure that will translate to a multi hull)

Cons: 1. 250$/gallon, 2. may be harder to remove if I don't like it. 3. Did I mention 250$/gallon?
Passion should believe itself irresistible. It should forget civility and consideration and all the other curses of a refined nature. Above all, it should never ask for leave where there is a right of way. -E.M. Forster
RSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2020, 06:24   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat
Re: Siliconized Bottom Paint?

I know a guy in Western LIS experimenting with this on his rudder only. Not sure which exact product can find out. They get quite a bit of growth around there, but it's a racing boat that will be frequently cleaned anyway so not the best test. Think he launched the first day marinas were open
Old 27-04-2020, 09:37   #3
RSH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
I know a guy in Western LIS experimenting with this on his rudder only. Not sure which exact product can find out. They get quite a bit of growth around there, but it's a racing boat that will be frequently cleaned anyway so not the best test. Think he launched the first day marinas were open
I am concerned about the amount of growth I'd get since there's no biocide and we're in florida. I've been told that speed prop (a similar product) does not work well on props down here because of it.
Passion should believe itself irresistible. It should forget civility and consideration and all the other curses of a refined nature. Above all, it should never ask for leave where there is a right of way. -E.M. Forster
Old 27-04-2020, 12:19   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Speedcoat 49 is the stuff he is trying. Sounds similar to propspeed.
Old 27-04-2020, 13:10   #5

Siliconized bottom paint has been around for a long time...but only for big ship and freighters. Last 4-5 years it has started to approach the pleasure craft industry.

It's so slippery so when you start driving the growth falls off, but it works better on power boats and faster sailboats...6-7kts and quicker. Can also be applied to propeller.
andreas.mehlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2020, 09:53   #6
RSH

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreas.mehlin View Post
Siliconized bottom paint has been around for a long time...but only for big ship and freighters. Last 4-5 years it has started to approach the pleasure craft industry.

It's so slippery so when you start driving the growth falls off, but it works better on power boats and faster sailboats...6-7kts and quicker. Can also be applied to propeller.
That is what I've been reading as well. Since our catamaran doesn't often go that fast, I think I'll go with the pettit trinidad with the copper and algaecide in it. Feel kind of bad using chemicals, but I think at least it's non-ablative so it's not flaking off into the water.
Old 28-04-2020, 18:03   #7

Delos:
First video the application, second is the Q&A

Go Wildcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 06:15   #8
RSH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Wildcats View Post
Yeah, I mentioned them in my original post. I think they move enough, and move fast enough, for it to work for them.

Tags
bottom paint, paint