Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2011, 07:11   #1

Boat: one off 46 foot trimaran
Shipping Trailer Sailor to Hawaii

Does anyone have a good contact/info on shipping a sailboat on trailer to hawaii? How much should I expect to spend for a 33 foot boat?

Thanks,
trimaranfanatic
trimaranfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2011, 10:54   #2

Boat: Sold the previous one but there's always another boat!
Re: shipping trailer sailor to Hawaii

Pasha Hawaii (pashahawaii.com) offers roll-on roll-off shipping of trailerable boats biweekly from San Diego to Honolulu, Kahului, and Hilo. You can get a quote from them online. Matson (matson.com) may also offer the same type of service since they are the major shipper of automobiles from the mainland to Hawaii.
GOsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2011, 11:34   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: shipping trailer sailor to Hawaii

I checked on shipping a Stonehorse 23, about 27' overall to Hawaii last summer. Seem to remember Pasha gave me a quote of around $5,000. Matson's first quote was in 5 figures and came down to around $7,000 with a bit of discussion with someone farther up the food chain. Matson is all on cube so if you are talkiing a trimaran expect to spend a fortune. Don't know about Pasha's pricing.

I got Matson to come down on their shipping going through the backdoor with advice from one of the TransPac race organizations. They had made arrangements for a bulk shipment of the race boats back to the Mainland from Hawaii that was way way lower than Matson quoted me to Hawaii. I talked with the guy at Matson who had set this up and got a cheaper rate to the Islands. Still was way more expensive than Pasha. Unfortunately, didn't keep any of the information on who I talked with at Matson.

If you are talking sailboat, or even a power boat, it's probably cheaper to bring it over on it's own bottom.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hawaii, shipping