Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2018, 13:27   #1

Seeking Norfolk/Annapolis Property w/ Dock Space for 50-62’ Cat, looking for suggesti

Hi fellow sailors,

We are looking to move from the Northeast to The Norfolk/Annapolis area sometime this year and transition to full-time live aboard lifestyle in 2-3 years. We are seeking a property with Dock and Water rights ideally attached to the home or at least a protected mooring. We have no idea where to start looking so I thought I would start here. We have a 9year old so good school is helpful, however for the right property we would homeschool.

Thanks in advance,

Capt500ton
Capt500ton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 16:07   #2

Boat: Hylas 49
Re: Seeking Norfolk/Annapolis Property w/ Dock Space for 50-62’ Cat, looking for sugg

Norfolk and Annapolis are not comparable. 110 miles apart Different culturally and politically. I suggest you narrow your search. There is a big premium on waterfront property!
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 18:30   #3

Re: Seeking Norfolk/Annapolis Property w/ Dock Space for 50-62’ Cat, looking for sugg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOffice View Post
Norfolk and Annapolis are not comparable. 110 miles apart Different culturally and politically. I suggest you narrow your search. There is a big premium on waterfront property!
Thank you, we would be fine with either area, or another within that general vicinity. If private dock is asking too much, private moorings rights are fine. Just would need good water and a weather hole.
Old 03-01-2018, 23:52   #4

Boat: Hylas 49

If you are outside Annapolis city limits you can drop a mooring anywhere that doesn’t interfere with navigation. South and West rivers will have lots of options.
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 00:06   #5

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOffice View Post
Take a look in Zillow at the Gloucester area off the York River. Put in Dock in the filter and scroll around the map. You'll see a fair number of reasonably priced waterfront homes.
Old 04-01-2018, 02:06   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Capt.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 02:53   #7

Boat: Valiant 40

As stated the stretch from Annapolis to Norfolk encompasses a lot of real estate, from urban (Annapolis and Norfolk areas) to borderline wilderness. Some additional information on what kind of area you're looking for, other than on the water, would be useful in providing some target areas.

In general, as you head south from Annapolis property prices are going to decrease up until you start to get close to Hampton/Norfolk, with pockets of higher priced real estate in-between. Don't neglect to look up the major rivers (Patuxent, Potomac, etc.) all the way down to the James as there is navigable water on all of them a fair ways up.

In general, and this is a very broad generalization, Maryland is going to be more "liberal" than Virginia in terms of culture, politics, etc. Taxes are lower in Virginia.

I would second Paul's recommendation of looking along the York if you're looking for the most affordable waterfront property. That whole peninsula between the Rappahanock and York rivers is almost entirely rural, very beautiful, somewhat remote, and as a result, affordable.

The Eastern Shore (western shore of the DelMarVA peninsula) also has lots of possibilities if being on the east side of the Bay is not an issue for you in terms of travel time to Washington, Baltimore, etc.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 04:12   #8

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Takes a long time to amortize the additional costs associated with waterfront around here.

Conceptually:
- half-acre non waterfront suburban lot with a modern 3000 sq ft house = 600K
- same lot size and same house with waterview = 800K
- ditto with neighborhood dock and privileges = 1M
- ditto but waterfront with sufficient depth for small boats = 1.2M
- ditto but with deepwater dockable waterfront = 1.6M

And "deepwater dockable" might not sufficiently take into account a potential need for a lift if it's on open water with heavy boat traffic and wakes and so forth. Anyway, it takes a long time to make up for that extra $M spent for real waterfront. Marinas can be cheaper, in that sense.

That's all cartoon, of course, but perhaps illustrates how costs rise around here.

-Chris
Old 04-01-2018, 04:39   #9

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark

You didn't give a price range you're willing to spend. How many bedrooms you need? Need shop/garage space? How much land do you want? Here's a private(?) island home in Hayes, VA. It's what I would buy if I could.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...ex=VA624371954

Start with sites like realtor.com or zillow, map search that updates as you pan the map and follow the shore line. Contact a real estate agent and let them help with your search.
Fiveslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 05:44   #10

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

One word: Zillow
n2climbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 13:19   #11

Boat: 1996 49' Krogen Express

Both Zillow and Trulia give you a general picture, but are not always up to date. I'd head for one of the larger name Real Estate companies such as RE/MAX (I own a franchise here on Dauphin Island), and talk with agents there or at other sites. All have websites and all are connected to MLS where you can put your own search criteria in and research the whole data base no matter who has it listed. Main thing is that Real Estate Agents (Realtors) and Brokers don't make any money unless they close a deal for you so nothing is out front financially. Using their websites for Multiple Listing searches will be much more accurate than Trulia or Zillow and is free.
kelbylinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 14:46   #12

Boat: FP, Eleuthera 60

A boat that size you can easily live in and that changes the possibilities of real estate to finding marinas in the bay that allows live aboard (many) and area that's best for you, if you don't like the area you move to another marina.
MIRELOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 19:03   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveslide View Post
You didn't give a price range you're willing to spend. How many bedrooms you need? Need shop/garage space? How much land do you want? Here's a private(?) island home in Hayes, VA. It's what I would buy if I could.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...ex=VA624371954

Start with sites like realtor.com or zillow, map search that updates as you pan the map and follow the shore line. Contact a real estate agent and let them help with your search.
That is a beautiful home, and will investigate that area well. Thank you for sharing.

Hard to judge prices vs. amount of home, we are looking to downsize 3-4 bedroom, not more than 2k sqft. It would be an investment/store of value as we plan to transition to living on a boat full time, 2-3 years. We have 4 kids all but one are on their own. Fixer upper, tear down, foreclosure or turnkey is all up for consideration. Don't need a lot of land, a nice garage or workbench would be ideal. We don't have much house now, about 3k sqft, but our taxes are $20k... And it is near the water on a peninsula.

As far as politics go wife is liberally minded and I'm very much conservative neither are the type to let that get in the way of anything. We like to dink around so it'd be nice to be in water ways with good access. Of course we need good water underneath us, for the size vessel we are looking at.

We have started with Zillow and Realtor, but already the contributions we've had from this thread have helped a great deal. We are working with a realtor here to sell our home with a national realtor, who is tasked with providing us with some agent choices in the area of Norfolk and Annapolis, but we are open. We just felt since she knew where we were coming from she'd be able to impart a great deal of knowledge to a local agent.

Thanks to everyone that has contributed.
Old 04-01-2018, 20:29   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIRELOS View Post
A boat that size you can easily live in and that changes the possibilities of real estate to finding marinas in the bay that allows live aboard (many) and area that's best for you, if you don't like the area you move to another marina.
Hey Carlos,

Thanks for your insight lol, as luck would have I am acquainted with you and the Admiral. I worked for Matt in Manhasset Bay for several years and remember Mirelos well. In fact, I guess I was so impressed at your choice of lifestyle, my wife and I are looking to replicate it ourselves. However, we want a homebase for a few more years and don't plan to purchase a boat for 2-3 years. Plan to spend 2-3 years after that doing short-medium trips and then building a new cat to take around the world, and live full time.

Hope you are well!

Bill
Old 05-01-2018, 06:40   #15

Boat: FP, Eleuthera 60

Hi Bill,
What a small world, but not really, water folks always find each other. We are well and on a similar predicament, I am now retired and the admiral about to, so we also need a place to call home or rather to store items to dear to part with and someday this capsule (body) may fail me at sailing the big boat. The area you are seeking is indeed beautiful, been there the last couple of years but to purchase I would not touch Maryland, killer taxes, Virginia is better financially. The best state for a retired person tax wise is Florida where I plan to look for a maintenance free place as soon as we sell the NYC place. Do let me know when you are ready for the boat, I've had quite the education met con-men and real artisans in the field, my older son is in the trade (New England Boat Works). I was in the Reedville Va. area a couple of yrs ago and the prices where not outrageous, great area for boaters. Good luck with the plan, do let me know, love to help.
MIRELOS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
annapolis, dock, rope