Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2019, 22:27   #16

Re: Seawind or Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by snort View Post
All things being equal regarding condition and gear, would you choose a Seawind 1000 or a Woods Flica?

I know the first boat, but only know the second by what's written about it online.

I don't imagine many people knowing both boats intimately, but you never know.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Owned a Seawind 1000 for 7 years and sailed from San Diego to Panama and back. All around great boat. Liked it so much that we bought a 1260 for retirement and even better The 1000 was easy to handle, safe ,uncomplicated and sailed well for a young family of 6.
Wrtaylormd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 06:38   #17

Boat: Woods Flica 37
Seawind or Woods

I was trying to make this decision for years. I almost bought a 1000xl, but he wouldn’t hold it long enough for me to buy airline tickets. Glad he didn’t. We found exactly what we wanted in the Flica 37.

Just the facts. The boats are very, very similar. Especially the overall beam/length. Truly apples to apples. At least with the layout of the one I have is. I think the Seawind is a heavier boat, but that would depend on the Flica builder.

Bridge deck: The 1000 has nothing between deck and salon with large windows, and thus better visibility from the helm(s), especially if you are short. The 1000 is more open feeling here. The seawind has a flat floor between the deck and saloon, with 2 separate companion ways going down into the hulls. I found the 1000’s companion ways are little tight...I had to turn a little to fit down them. My Flica has 6’7” head room in the cockpit and a raised seat so that you can see over the deck house. The Flica has a single companion way, which has one step down into the salon with a nav station. The salon joins the entire living area. The aft portion of the of the Seawind deck has 4 seats and a nice grill. I have 2 seats, a small grill, and a locker.

Bunks: There are different layouts, but the Flica is a clear winner here. I have 2 full sized bunks with lots of storage in their own cabins, the table converts into another one, and a big single in its own cabin. The average 1000 only has 1 full sized bunk with maybe 1 single in the same cabin, a small double in its own cabin, the table converts into a very large, but exposed bunk, and a weird little toddler bunk forward of the galley.

Galley: Very similar size and location. Seawind has a larger top loading freezer and refrigerator that it cleverly uses as counter space. The Flica generally has a standup one that takes up a little space between the galley and salon. The Flica has a more open plan between the galley and salon which later model 1000XL’s tried to incorporate with a little hatch. It is very easy to talk, see, and hand things between the salon and galley in the Flica.

Head: Again, layouts differ. However, all the boats I’ve looked at had it in the port aft hull. They are very similar, with the Flica’s being larger due to the shower being separated from the toilet instead of on top of it.

Motors: Mine is identical. Fixed 9.9 yammies with electric tilt under the helm. Some Flicas have inboard diesels.

Foredeck: 1000’s have a very rounded deck initially, but it flattens into 2 large trampolines with a small deck between them. Flicas have a gradual taper to a small trampoline. This is due to the bunks being in front of the salon where the seawind only has a couple lockers. So, 1/2 of the Flica front deck is the roof of the cabins.

Hull bottoms: Nearly identical, but some Flicas have hard chines.

Sailing: The Flica feels lighter. Downwind with a 15 kt wind I’m easily able to make 10-12 under Jenny alone. The Seawind self tacking jib is nice, but I have no problem tacking and they point about the same.

Summary: Seawind 1000xl wins for the large, open deck feel. Flica 37 wins for interior living space. All else too close to call.

Hope this helps
AKJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 15:16   #18
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKJerry View Post
I was trying to make this decision for years. I almost bought a 1000xl, but he wouldn’t hold it long enough for me to buy airline tickets. Glad he didn’t. We found exactly what we wanted in the Flica 37.

Just the facts. The boats are very, very similar. Especially the overall beam/length. Truly apples to apples. At least with the layout of the one I have is. I think the Seawind is a heavier boat, but that would depend on the Flica builder.

Bridge deck: The 1000 has nothing between deck and salon with large windows, and thus better visibility from the helm(s), especially if you are short. The 1000 is more open feeling here. The seawind has a flat floor between the deck and saloon, with 2 separate companion ways going down into the hulls. I found the 1000’s companion ways are little tight...I had to turn a little to fit down them. My Flica has 6’7” head room in the cockpit and a raised seat so that you can see over the deck house. The Flica has a single companion way, which has one step down into the salon with a nav station. The salon joins the entire living area. The aft portion of the of the Seawind deck has 4 seats and a nice grill. I have 2 seats, a small grill, and a locker.

Bunks: There are different layouts, but the Flica is a clear winner here. I have 2 full sized bunks with lots of storage in their own cabins, the table converts into another one, and a big single in its own cabin. The average 1000 only has 1 full sized bunk with maybe 1 single in the same cabin, a small double in its own cabin, the table converts into a very large, but exposed bunk, and a weird little toddler bunk forward of the galley.

Galley: Very similar size and location. Seawind has a larger top loading freezer and refrigerator that it cleverly uses as counter space. The Flica generally has a standup one that takes up a little space between the galley and salon. The Flica has a more open plan between the galley and salon which later model 1000XL’s tried to incorporate with a little hatch. It is very easy to talk, see, and hand things between the salon and galley in the Flica.

Head: Again, layouts differ. However, all the boats I’ve looked at had it in the port aft hull. They are very similar, with the Flica’s being larger due to the shower being separated from the toilet instead of on top of it.

Motors: Mine is identical. Fixed 9.9 yammies with electric tilt under the helm. Some Flicas have inboard diesels.

Foredeck: 1000’s have a very rounded deck initially, but it flattens into 2 large trampolines with a small deck between them. Flicas have a gradual taper to a small trampoline. This is due to the bunks being in front of the salon where the seawind only has a couple lockers. So, 1/2 of the Flica front deck is the roof of the cabins.

Hull bottoms: Nearly identical, but some Flicas have hard chines.

Sailing: The Flica feels lighter. Downwind with a 15 kt wind I’m easily able to make 10-12 under Jenny alone. The Seawind self tacking jib is nice, but I have no problem tacking and they point about the same.

Summary: Seawind 1000xl wins for the large, open deck feel. Flica 37 wins for interior living space. All else too close to call.

Hope this helps

10-12 kts downwind with just a jib in 15 kts of wind? Come on, seriously?
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 16:02   #19

That’s what the GPS said. It was in the Chesapeake perhaps gusts to 20 and an incoming tide? Average made good was 10.7 on that trip, but she goes 8-10 very easy.
Old 05-10-2020, 19:32   #20

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
10-12 kts downwind with just a jib in 15 kts of wind? Come on, seriously?
No way. Unless he had a great current working with him.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 19:41   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
No way. Unless he had a great current working with him.
Why not? I've surfed over 15kn on Seawind XL in Bass Strait, was blowing 20 maybe, white sails incl the small self-tacker they have.
NevilleCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 20:16   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevilleCat View Post
Why not? I've surfed over 15kn on Seawind XL in Bass Strait, was blowing 20 maybe, white sails incl the small self-tacker they have.
Yep, and I owned a Seawind 1000 for a dozen years before getting the Lite. Raced it, and also had some 15 knot speeds, in high wind.

But read again what he said about the Woods. "10-12 kts downwind with just a jib in 15 kts of wind". With just a jib, he is doing almost wind speed?

That's why not!
Old 05-10-2020, 20:24   #23

Seawind or Woods

Yeah. I was very happy with that performance. We did have 5 ft following seas. Not sure what the tide was doing. I’m sure the 2 GPS’s weren’t lying. Top speed was 12.8.

If it helps, it was a genny, not a jib.
Old 05-10-2020, 20:31   #24

Quote:
Yeah. I was very happy with that performance. We did have 5 ft following seas. Not sure what the tide was doing. I’m sure the 2 GPS’s weren’t lying.
GPS is generally accurate. But think about the instantaneous measurement coming down the peak of a wave. Or having tide or current carry you. Again, GPS is measure of speed over land - not boat speed thru the water.

I can do 3 knots with no sails - and no motors - heading north in the Gulf Stream! But my boat speed thru water is about zero.
Old 05-10-2020, 21:54   #25

Seawind or Woods

Speed made good is the only that matters, eh? I’m not nerdy enough to figure what we would have been doing without all the factors. Smooth and breezy we can average 8 on many points of sail, so that would negate the current. I guess that number is a better representation of the Flica rather than something that may have been a glorious combo of forces and the making of doubters.

I’m guessing also that you sold the Seawind 1000 ‘jumanji’ fairly recently. Had my eye on her.
Old 06-10-2020, 01:37   #26

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

If you are reading the GPS speed, assuming you don't have a log then the 15 knots of wind is apparent, so 10-12 boat speed downwind under jib in 25-27 knots of true wind is about par. This would be borne out by 5 ft waves.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 06:04   #27

Quote:
Speed made good is the only that matters, eh? I’m not nerdy enough to figure what we would have been doing without all the factors. Smooth and breezy we can average 8 on many points of sail, so that would negate the current. I guess that number is a better representation of the Flica rather than something that may have been a glorious combo of forces and the making of doubters.

I’m guessing also that you sold the Seawind 1000 ‘jumanji’ fairly recently. Had my eye on her.
Yes, velocity made good (VMG) is most important, especially when racing or even cruising to a destination. But if we are comparing performance of boats, its best to remove the outside influences (like current, waves, etc.) and the easiest measure there is speed thru water. I would expect your 37 ft boat to consistently make the 8-9 knots, and even more on a reach. Most times you are just dealing with hull speed limit, until the wind really pipes up and allows some planing.

Actually, Jumanji - our first Seawind - sold in March 2018, a little over a month after we listed her. She was great boat in excellent condition, and fetched full price. Surveyed out extremely well with the only issue noted being a non-structural divider near the chain locker that needed replacement.
Old 06-10-2020, 08:07   #28

Fair point. I shouldn’t have used a single days sail for the example. All is well with this thread. Is 8-9 what jumanji did?
Old 06-10-2020, 08:37   #29

Quote:
Fair point. I shouldn’t have used a single days sail for the example. All is well with this thread. Is 8-9 what jumanji did?
Nope, a little slower. It was a 33 ft LOA boat. It was probably a 7+ knot upwind, reaching in the 9's. We did an offshore race double reefed in 30 knots, and cranked out solid 13's, but I think peak was 15.5 knots.

I think a hull extension to an XL would have helped speed probably another knot. Not only by extending the LWL, but the water exit from the stern of the standard-length boat (non XL) had a lot of turbulence.

The 1160 Lite has similar issue at the sterns, but not quite as much. It could be helped a lot by a 2 ft extension, which is basically the 1190. There has already been one 1160 extended into an XL version.
Old 06-10-2020, 14:29   #30
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

We put a little over 10,000 miles on 2 Seawind 1000’s with stern extensions and overall our average was in the low 6’s.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Seawind, wind