Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2015, 00:15   #1

Seawind 1250

Anybody know anything about these things (thinking of getting one)
Flipability
Price
Performance
It's apparent 'bluewater cruising' meaningClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1424160949.652724.jpg
Views:	705
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	97258
Etc.

Thx

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
aussie_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2015, 02:08   #2

Boat: currently boatless
Re: Seawind 1250

Hi Aus,
you don't make that many catamarans without getting something right. Seawinds have an excellent name and with that goes very good resale. Plenty of people have sailed the 1250's little sister the 1000 over the worlds oceans.
You don't advise of what your intentions are to do with the boat so its a bit hard to say if a boat will do what you want. I sail a Lagoon 410. When looking the Seawinds were definitely on my short list but a galley up and cockpit layout as well as the purchase price one the day.
Blue water is a very broad term to a lot of people. I consider my Lagoon equipped to cross oceans there fore blue water capable, others may challenge that. We have sailed parts of the east coast of Australia and are preparing the boat to go further north this year then hopefully Asia next year. Would the Seawind 1250 be capable of the same thing. Absolutely Provided it is prepared and sailed accordingly, as all boats should be.
If you go to the Seawind site you will find they have an owners forum. Join and I am sure you will amass a wealth of information. Just as a side comment there is a Seawind rally being organised to for the Whitsundays later in the year. Its an excellent opportunity to hire a 1250. Sail in company with Seawind owners and judge for yourself if the boat is for you. Yep it will cost a few buck but you get a holiday, test drive and lots of fun thrown in.

Greg and Sue
SV Sunshine
Lake Macquarie NSW Oz
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2015, 13:03   #3

Good friends of ours have a 1250. IMO it's a very well built boat, and sails well too. They sailed with us to Vanuatu, we had 4 days of 30 - 48 knot winds, the boats handled it well.

Seawind's sea trials included Bass strait crossings, trips to New Zealand, Cook's straits twice. They're a pretty well sorted boat.

As for "flipability", well it's a cat, so it will flip several thousand times a day. Gets so you don't even notice it.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2015, 16:51   #4

Boat: between boats

If by flippability you mean ease of resale then I think you will be right on that front too - the seawinds hold their value better than many other production cats due to a variety of reasons including good design for their intended cruising grounds and good owners club including regattas etc.

The 1250 was on our shortlist when we were looking but with the high AUD at the time they were very expensive relative to imports. That has probably all changed now and they would no doubt be a good value proposition these days. When comparing prices to some other imported production cats the seawinds have a pretty full and high quality standard inclusions list so watch out for that when making comparisons.

Do you know where the 1250 is being built now ? wollongong still or Vietnam?
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2015, 18:25   #5

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Very seaworthy, great sailing and well built.

As 44C said they have been thoroughly tested in some challenging seas.

Could not go wrong with one.

cheers
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2015, 04:30   #6
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

And on top of all that the after sales service is fantastic. And when I say after sales they were fantastic assisting us with our 20 year old Seawind.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2015, 01:04   #7

Thx I guess they are a reasonable price with the inclusions

Old 23-02-2015, 02:31   #8

Boat: Seawind 1200 TEC 3

We own one of its little sisters.Lots of things look the same but 1250 totally different to the 1200 so can't really compare other than build quality that I personally think is ahead of the Euro imports.
Last year we sailed a few weeks with the owners of the last 1250 made in Australia we loved their boat and it performed great.Far as I now they are all made in Vietnam now but I don't really see that as a bad thing.
Chris
Mirage Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2015, 05:14   #9

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Seawind cats were designed from the ground up with an arch, something not true of all boats. I have been very happy with my Seawind but the recent GB loss did give me second thoughts about what would happen if a huge wave broke over the stern and water was able to get into the hulls. Of course this would mean a very big wave of the Southern Seas rounding the great capes style, something I am unlikely to encounter in Florida or the Bahamas. Which goes to a point already raised in thread, what will your use the boat for.

Seawinds are great boats for many things. What you have to figure out is are those things you will be doing.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2015, 07:54   #10
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
Seawind cats were designed from the ground up with an arch, something not true of all boats. I have been very happy with my Seawind but the recent GB loss did give me second thoughts about what would happen if a huge wave broke over the stern and water was able to get into the hulls. Of course this would mean a very big wave of the Southern Seas rounding the great capes style, something I am unlikely to encounter in Florida or the Bahamas. Which goes to a point already raised in thread, what will your use the boat for.

Seawinds are great boats for many things. What you have to figure out is are those things you will be doing.

Tom, I'm sure if you were out in those conditions you would have the hatch boards in and there would be very little water entering the hulls. The Seawind 1000 was originally designed as an open bridge deck with a canvas enclosure so I'm sure the hatches and desire to keep the water out of the hulls was part of the design. The same can be said for the Gunboat 55, though their hatches look a little more high tech :-)
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2015, 22:21   #11

Quote:

Thinking bout going round the world Townsville-Hobart-Wellington-Panama-Miami-canaries-Mediterranean-Cape of Good Hope-brome(WA)-Townsville

Old 25-02-2015, 13:39   #12

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

AJ I just read part II of the GB thread at SA and it reports the port companion way hatch was damaged as was the removable enclosure between the salon and cockpit which allowed water to enter the port hull as waves broke over the boat.

If the truth be known I would do everything in my power to avoid being out in conditions like that. But the OP mentioned circumnavigation and rounding one of the great capes. While I don't doubt even a 1000 is capable of that,and a 1250 even more so, my first choice for a trip like that would be a different boat.

tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2015, 01:03   #13

Boat: Neel 45 trimaran,and 50’ steel trawler

Quote:
AJ I just read part II of the GB thread at SA and it reports the port companion way hatch was damaged as was the removable enclosure between the salon and cockpit which allowed water to enter the port hull as waves broke over the boat.

If the truth be known I would do everything in my power to avoid being out in conditions like that. But the OP mentioned circumnavigation and rounding one of the great capes. While I don't doubt even a 1000 is capable of that,and a 1250 even more so, my first choice for a trip like that would be a different boat.

I charted a 1250 last year (Whitsundays) enjoyed her very much
She sailed extremely well up wind
But i would say in my view that she is designed for tropical conditions not large swells of the southern oceans
Galues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2015, 20:57   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galues View Post
I charted a 1250 last year (Whitsundays) enjoyed her very much
She sailed extremely well up wind
But i would say in my view that she is designed for tropical conditions not large swells of the southern oceans
Nope - designed for Southern Ocean - as well as Tropical cruising
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2015, 21:41   #15

Boat: Seawind 1200 TEC 3

Well OP what have you purchased?
Mirage Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Seawind, wind