Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2019, 18:58   #1

Boat: Seawind 1190 sport
Seawind 1190 sport - bridgedeck clearance

the Seawind 1190 sport made it onto my shopping list for my next Cat. I'm wondering if anyone who owns and / or sails one of these could let me know how they feel about its bridgedeck clearance. In particular, how does it upwind do in a worst-case short wavelength chop?
DougM
DougM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2019, 09:36   #2

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite
Re: Seawind 1190 sport - bridgedeck clearance

Doug, I have a Seawind 1160 Lite. Just took delivery in February, spent almost three months in the Bahamas, and sailed it across the Gulf of Mexico from Ft Myers, Florida to Freeport, Texas on our way home. It is the same bridgedeck clearance as the 1190, and just a foot shorter and without daggerboards and stern-hung rudder. (The mast on the 1190 is taller too, but we went with larger sails so we have almost the same sail area.)

That said, I don't completely understand your question. Bridgedeck clearance has not been a significant issue. Only in one open-water crossing did we get pounding, from waves that were just the right angle and size to do so. That said, I have never been on a boat that has sufficient bridgedeck clearance to avoid pounding in all conditions. In what I would call "chop", we have never had an issue. You do get some slapping of the outboard engine nacelles, but its not like a "pound". I've never heard of a failure though. I am very familiar with the brand, having owned a Seawind 1000 for twelve years - which we also crossed Gulf and did long-distance offshore races with - before stepping up in length to the Seawind 1160 Lite. No regrets.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2019, 17:07   #3

Boat: Seawind 1190 sport

thanks sailjumanji. Sorry if the question wasn't clear, but you've done a great job of speaking to it anyway. I love sailing vs motoring so I'm looking for a cat that has good light wind performance, but also is reasonably comfortable upwind sailing for distance in significant wind / sea. Your comments on your experience on your Seawind 1160 lite are encouraging. Ideally I'd like to find an 1190 sport to charter, but I haven't found one yet. I do see some 1160 lites, so maybe I'll try one of those.
DougM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2019, 18:24   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Bob Gleason had one 2 summers in Buzzards Bay as a seller demo. Not sure he's sold it, but I'm sure would be happy to take you sailing if you're a serious buyer. IMHO wasn't very impressed by the performance in the racing we did against them.
Old 15-10-2019, 21:32   #5

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
SNIP

That said, I have never been on a boat that has sufficient bridgedeck clearance to avoid pounding in all conditions.

SNIP
Agree.

Conventional wisdom is three foot of bridge clearance is the standard; hard to find cats with a lot more than that unless they are very big. Another consideration is that the distance between the hulls is a factor in pounding. When the first nine meter something Seawinds came out, and later the Seawind 1000 they were not nearly as good as the later Seawind 1000XL or the 1000s with a one meter sugar scoop added; it made a huge difference in how sea kindly the boat was.

Thing is that being in three or four foot waves in very common if you sail much; almost to the point that on almost any passage you will encounter them. If the wind is ten knots you should expect waves of that size. In places like the Gulf Stream with a North wind you will often encounter square waves with a short period which means pounding in almost all boats. But Conventional wisdom is that if you fall off or head up say ten to fifteen degrees the pounding will go away.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 13:11   #6

Boat: Seawind 1160

Doug,

I’d be happy to take you for a sail on an 1160. If you decide you like the general layout and performance, I’m sure we can then get you aboard an 1190. There are several currently cruising in Mexico.

Rob
robwrongshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 13:20   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Doug, I think you said the key thing when you said you guys plan to sail upwind. Most decent cats pound very little at sailing angles. The thing is that most folks, and particularly charter folks, tend to motor upwind. They compound this by going straight upwind and into the waves, rather than cracking off a little or even to more of a sailing angle. Then they complain that the boats pound. Lots of monohulls pound in the same conditions, and sail beautifully at sailing angles. Try it, and you will see exactly what I mean! And all the best in your search.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck, Seawind, wind