Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.43 average. Display Modes
Old 25-08-2008, 08:11   #16

The Bi-Rig is very interesting! It need a own thread. Do you have any link to simular sized catamaran with a bi-rig?

Do you know if it´s any page on the internet with owner of Schionning catamarans?

Is it big difference between 12.3 and 1250?

Do you have any plans for a hard top over the cockpit?

Is it only yards in SA and Australia/NZ who have built schionning catamarans?

What do you say about outboards like the barrockan and a generator?

And i don´t need a boat under 45f, but i want a fast boat and not a chartercruiser.

http://www.cat4sale.net/Specs_Inventory.pdf Do you think you will have enough of electricy with simular specs.
Old 25-08-2008, 08:49   #17

Boat: Schioning 12.3 "Wilderness" Bi-Rig under construction
Send a message via Skype™ to Whimsical
Freetime
There are a few bi-rigs under construction but none sailing that I am aware of except for the Radical bays. Heres another 12.3 at a bit more advanced stage than mine, but I catching up to him. He has documented everything during construction and is a good read. http://www.mahnamahna.com.au/

The 12.3 and 12.5 is the same boat with a slightly different bow profile.

I have built the cabin top with an extension back to above the rear seat so a full hardtop.

I think there have been a number of boats built around the world. Would pay to shoot of an email to Lorraine Schionning and ask.

I'm not keen on outboards and they do present some difficulty housing them especially if you want the walk through transomes, I am building the walkthroughs at seat hieght level rather than full walkthroughs.

A generator is one of those things that leads to the never ending spiral to obesity that many cats suffer. I have expended a lot of time thinking of what my final direction will be and I think I am happy now. As I am only using small diesels, 20 Hp, I will fit a high pressure pump and a bigger alternator to one and use that as my defacto generator. This save the wieght and maintainence of yet another diesel aboard and being only 20 Hp the desal and alternator are a decent load for it. Yes it will put more hours on one motor and may need to be replaced sooner but then a seperate genny is in the same position. An inverter will supply all the 240v I need and if I want a small aircon it could be powered through the inverter. Aircon is one of those things that seem more suited to a land existance and I feel people need to adjust to the sea environment rather than take all the mod cons but then I am probably a little nuts.

Did you mean you don't need a boat OVER 45 feet. I agree for a couple of people a boat much over 40 feet seems rediculous.

The boat in that link doesn't list a seperate gen set and only has 300 wats of solar and a wind gen. I feel this is quite small if extened stays away from the dock are anticipated, especially with outboards. I am not intending to be frugal with power though.
Edit
That link is barrocka and I don't think it was intended to be a long term cruiser so the power is probably reasonable.

Mike
Whimsical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2008, 09:06   #18

I will take a look at the link....
A friend of mine just bought his first boat a BR 65f, for a atlantic cross next year. And that is little to big, but they are 6 persons (4 children 3-16yo). For me i don´t need a bigger boat, but i don´t say any maximum feet. But from 38-46f is big enough for us...

If i understand right. If you have yanmar 39hp this will work great! (from yanmars homepage)

ONBOARD ELECTRICAL SUPPLY SOLUTION
September 2007
A compact, economical solution to the supply of onboard electricity for sailboats is being introduced by Yanmar Marine. The KMG65E generating system has been developed to work with Yanmar’s 3JH4 (39MPH) and 4JH4-AE (54MPH) diesel engines.

The generator is a mere 105mm deep and weighs just 21kg, fitting between the engine and transmission, whether standard gearbox or SD50 Saildrive. Boat owners have the choice of one or two remote power boxes, providing 3kW or 6kW at 230 volts, 50Hz.

Sufficient electricity is generated irrespective of engine speed or load: enough, for example, to run air conditioning, kitchen equipment, a computer, television and music system. The system can also be used to charge the boat’s batteries.

Yanmar states that the KMG65E is lower in price, takes up less space. is simpler to install and more straightforward to use than competitive systems, with hardly any maintenance costs. Initially, it will be available with new engines.
Old 25-08-2008, 17:06   #19

Boat: Schioning 12.3 "Wilderness" Bi-Rig under construction
Send a message via Skype™ to Whimsical
Quote:
Originally Posted by freetime View Post
If i understand right. If you have yanmar 39hp this will work great! (from yanmars homepage)
Yes that would work but then you have a 40 Hp diesel running with a very light load for long durations, not good.

Mike
Whimsical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2008, 09:59   #20

Boat: FP Tobago 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whimsical View Post
Yes that would work but then you have a 40 Hp diesel running with a very light load for long durations, not good.

Mike

You can add an extra control box, and pull 6kVA or around 10 hp off the genny. Additional weight for 3 kVA is 31 kgs. 16 kg for an extra control box.

Most diesels are not designed for the large pulley type generators, and car needs to be taken when designing the system. This is not an issue with the new Yanmar system.

regards

Alan
Nordic cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2009, 05:29   #21

Freetime: Are you still looking for catamarans? There is moulds (forms) for a 46ft modern and fast catamaran in Oslo. It is possible to rent the moulds. There is also mould for a carbon mast and bom. sene me an email if you are interested. I´m interested in building one and beeing more we can get good prices.

ps: Landsman så klart
andreas.mehlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2010, 01:51   #22

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran
Freetime,

You might look at the Freeflow46 if you haven't yet moved. Centrally mounted straight shaft drive 2 degree angle. All Fuel/water/ motor below floor central in hulls. Centrally located mast. Load carrying isn't the problem it is with Schonnings.

Freeflow Catamarans

Freeflow Catamarans

regards
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote