Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2014, 05:27   #91
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Scarlet's Annapolis Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
1. Water...we love the water. Lakes, rivers, oceans.

2. We love exploring places, by water. To us the towns are better approached from the water side.
Also a terrifically stated objective, but very different from Scarlet's, with different implications for the boat.

#1 perhaps a focus on water toys and diving capability
#2 perhaps very shallow draft and no mast or one you can lower more easily (you don't mention sailing) - better for those rivers - bt the way, the French inland channels are marvelous.
#3 perhaps attention to med mooring, some boats are rather easier to get on and off that way than others.
#4 perhaps more "all arounder climate" (including Scotland/med oriented) and less "tropical" focused - has significant boat implications (by the way, amount of insulation and window designs are major important topics, espically on cats, that don't get discussed much)

My only point here is that live abroad boats are very complex sets of compromises (rather more so than a house), and just for example, whether the galley is big or small may not be the most important issue to focus on (unless cooking is either very important to you, or not important at all). You don't want to get railroaded into thinking about only what the folks trying to sell you stuff want you to think about.

Regarding Li batteries - right now I would suggest a question to ask yourself us if you like using bleeding edge technology. Some people really get excited about it. But it does come with various risks of not working so well, and other people prefer to use well proven stuff that just simply works - Li on boats is not there yet.

BTW I agree with the comment on the Catana on the brokerage docks - lovely boat, with lovely owners who are very competent.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2014, 06:11   #92

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Saw it. My equal least favourite boat at the show
That's sort of how I felt in Miami last year... My WORST boat from miami was the Nautitec... HORRIBLE boat... Isara was up there.. but mostly due to disappointment. I had LOVED that boat whilst looking at it on line... I DREAMED of that boat.. I thought it was gorgeous.. and amazing. Then I saw it in person? and I was sooo disappointed...
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2014, 06:20   #93
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post
That's sort of how I felt in Miami last year... My WORST boat from miami was the Nautitec... HORRIBLE boat... Isara was up there.. but mostly due to disappointment. I had LOVED that boat whilst looking at it on line... I DREAMED of that boat.. I thought it was gorgeous.. and amazing. Then I saw it in person? and I was sooo disappointed...
I feel like I'm stuck in some sort of parallel universe where everything is opposite. Are you sure we're discussing the same boat?
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2014, 06:23   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I feel like I'm stuck in some sort of parallel universe where everything is opposite. Are you sure we're discussing the same boat?
yup.. same boat..

I thought it looked WAY better on line than it did in person... but, its ok.. not everyone likes the same thing.
Old 17-10-2014, 07:15   #95

Boat: Catana 471

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwjohm View Post
Scarlet - In regard to 6 I do not know any cruiser, even the most radical green ones, who go without a genset, if only a small Honda 2Kw.
That's because we've never met.

We've "commuted" from the Chesapeake to the Atlantic tropics for the past five winters and do very well without a generator. No we don't have AC and don't think anyone needs that in the tropics as long as they stay away from marinas. We got rid of the microwave after the first season. We have never taken on external water after leaving the Ches Bay, except rain. We carry all of our provisions for an entire 7 month cruise, including frozen meats and even holiday turkey, and have to buy only eggs, fresh veggies, some bread (we make most of our own), and rum. When space comes available in the freezer, we can even make enough ice for happy hour, but we ask visitors to bring some if they have it. With good rum you get used to it being warm and neat.

Our power comes from solars and having an extra alternator on each engine. The only time we need to run an engine for charging is on multi-day passages when the solars can't keep up with "underway loads" - autopilot, lights, nav, and comms. Whenever we have to motor - including coming and going from anchorages - the extra alts are a huge bonus. Yes, if we're at anchor for several days of no significant sun, we have to run an engine to charge - but at least this is minimized by the extra alts and the by-product hot water can be useful. At least if it has been raining during the same period, we get to save some power by not running the water maker.

We do have a washing machine that runs quite well on the inverter - the few times we've used it. "We have to motor today, so we get to wash our undies." Motoring and laundry go hand in hand because you get hot water and can run the water maker and supply the electricity simultaneously. But the dryer function is useless, so Scarlet, you might avoid carrying your undies to a laundry, but you may not avoid having them displayed on the lifelines. Most washer/dryers are the "Splendide" type that use condensation for "drying". This is not much better than a good spin cycle and the clothes are still damp. A real heating dryer would take loads of power. A real cruising luxury is finding a do-it-yourself laundry ashore with hot water - cold water is the norm. While you wait for the clothes you can at least shop for good local rum. For the most part our washing machine serves as a Faraday box for small electronics. Laptops fit nicely in the oven. I'd take the washing machine off the boat if the Admiral would let me...

Whoever said cruising is hard work was right. Very hard work. Very good work. Very rewarding work.

2 Hulls Dave
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2014, 09:08   #96

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post

Regarding Li batteries - right now I would suggest a question to ask yourself us if you like using bleeding edge technology. Some people really get excited about it. But it does come with various risks of not working so well, and other people prefer to use well proven stuff that just simply works - Li on boats is not there yet.
I have always made it a point to be just behind the leading edge. Started long ago with computer systems. IBM would introduce new models. We'd never take one of the first, but always wait six months. Now I might go leading edge for a new gadget or toy but not something I'm going to depend on. I'll let them have six months to work the bugs out, give me time to read reviews from actual users, then I might jump in.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2014, 09:17   #97

2hulls... YEAH!!!!!!!

I KNEW someone was doing it!!! but, I do have a quesiton.. how do you hold 7 months full of meats, etc? I'm thinking that's a TON of freezer space... I have a huge freezer in my house and it only holds about 6 weeks worth of provisions... how do you do it with 7 months?
Old 17-10-2014, 09:29   #98

Boat: Various

Quote:
2hulls... YEAH!!!!!!!

I KNEW someone was doing it!!! but, I do have a quesiton.. how do you hold 7 months full of meats, etc? I'm thinking that's a TON of freezer space... I have a huge freezer in my house and it only holds about 6 weeks worth of provisions... how do you do it with 7 months?
1. Most of the time you're not going to be 7 months without land and where there is land, there is food. Might not be all you want so plan accordingly. Might not be what you're use to but people eat everywhere.

2. More freezer space.

3. Things that don't require freezing. We primarily freeze meats. Vegetables and other items can be canned and also available while cruising. Many boaters catch fresh fish along the way.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2014, 10:34   #99

Quote:
how do you hold 7 months full of meats, etc? I'm thinking that's a TON of freezer space...
A lot of planning and work. Keep in mind we're just a couple, and we're not very big. But we rarely eat in restaurants (only when guests take us out) and most of the places we go don't have restaurants. We do eat very well, so don't think we're sacrificing.

First, we have a 3.5 ft3 (100 liter) and a 7ft3 (200 liter) refer/freezer. Either can be set as a freezer or frige - just change the setpoint. When we leave on our cruise we make the 200 l the freezer and the 100 l the refer. The main things that go into the freezer are pre-frozen meets, cheeses, and butter. All are vacuum packed or kept in their packs from the store if they came that way, e.g., we take a lot of pork tenderloins that are very efficient to freeze and store. Also, no bones are allowed in order to save space, e.g., only boneless chicken breasts and turkey breasts. Boneless hot dogs and burgers. We pre-make the burgers and freeze them in packs of 2 or 4. The 200 l is top loading, so the upper portion doesn't stay fully frozen, so we put eggs and some breads and the fresh veggies we start out with in the top. Also room for fresh water bottles for drinking and maybe a beer or two. (Remember, learn to drink rum, neat.) There's also some room to freeze fish we catch, but don't eat right away. In the 100 l (set as a refer) we put the usual stuff like condiments, cheeses, veggies, maybe a few more cold drinks, and stuff coming out of the freezer to thaw for cooking or use. Thawing in the refer saves a little power - it's like adding ice.

All other provisions are canned or dry goods that are pretty typical. A lot of pasta. A lot of flour. We use milk only for baking, but get boxed, long life milk that does not need to be refrigerated. Those potato chips that Costco sells have really thick wrappers that keep the chips fresh for a LONG time. Butternut squash is cheap, lasts a long time, and makes terrific soup. Fresh made cookies are better, cheaper, and the ingredients take less room to pack than store bought cookies.

We have bought additional meats in civilization when we find it and the price isn't outrageous, but this is rare. More likely to find eggs, veggies and fruit. Local baked breads are usually really good, especially in the French islands, but we usually make our own, except we do but burger and hotdog buns when we see them.

Halfway through our cruise we swap the freezer and refer as all the frozen stuff will now fit in the smaller unit. The batteries say ahhhhhhh as this swap saves a lot of power. A couple other times during the cruise we have to defrost whichever unit is the freezer which gives us an opportunity to take inventory.

Bottom line, with planning and smart shopping, a couple can be pretty self sufficient with decent refrigeration capacity. And it's WAY cheaper to stock up before you leave vs buying food in "paradise".

This should get you started.

2 Hulls Dave
Old 17-10-2014, 10:43   #100

WOW!!!! I would have never thought of half those things... printing this and saving it for the future..
Old 17-10-2014, 11:24   #101
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

for what its worth, my wife wrote this sometime ago - http://www.bethandevans.com/pdf/livi...rigeration.pdf
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2014, 11:38   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
for what its worth, my wife wrote this sometime ago - http://www.bethandevans.com/pdf/livi...rigeration.pdf
THATS going in my Boat Bible!! EXTREMELY useful!
Old 17-10-2014, 11:39   #103
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

2Hulls Dave, I like your sailing style!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2014, 12:42   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
2Hulls Dave, I like your sailing style!
What's that - eat and drink?
Old 17-10-2014, 14:15   #105
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Hulls View Post
What's that - eat and drink?
Yes, and the fact your able to enjoy the cruising life while keeping it simple A man like you deserves a boat like a Catana!
smj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
annapolis