Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2019, 02:06   #1

Salina 48

Hello all, I am new to this forum. I am getting ready to retire soon and will be living aboard a catamaran. Question is which catamaran 😩. Deciding amongst lagoon 440 or 450 or Salina 48, there has or is a lot f info on the lagoons bit not much on tue Salina . Can anyone who actually owned one let me know what they think? Problems or things to pay attention to or other issues? They look beautiful but looks are not going to matter that much in tue long run. Just need as much reliability as possible huge space and relatively good sailing performance in respect to safety and ease of operation.
Rango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2019, 08:17   #2

Re: Salina 48

Rango, congrats on your upcoming adventure / lifestyle change. You might want to give a bit more info on how you see yourself using the boat, spending your time, number of crew/guests/frequency. Time at rest vs in motion...

"huge space and relatively good sailing performance" tend to be opposite ends of a continuum unless you add unlimited budget

All the boats you mentioned are in the "condomaran" end of that continuum. Probably the right place for people who spend the vast majority of the time on the dock or at anchor (most users).
KC375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2019, 08:30   #3

Hey. I’m like you. I’m preparing my soon coming retirement on a cat and from what I’m hearing from bloggers and bloggers who already live on them and they all say that yes, they spend way more time at anchorages rather than on big passages. I’m like you Id like to know how the Salina compares to other cats but how comfortable it is at anchor in windy or rolly anchorages. I’m still prone to some motion sickness so I’m wondering how stable the Salina 48 is .. my plan is to get on one, see how I feel both in the sea and at anchor. And then compare with the L420 and L440.
I’ll keep you in the loop when I do.
alexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2019, 10:48   #4

Thanks KC. Yes fully understand poles apart performance and comfort. Definitely
Would like to live on condocat. More time on the hook. And a home on the water. Will sail and explore Queensland coast for first 2 years learning the boat and gaining experience them maybe down under go east to new cal. Salina 48 prices seem to be slightly lower in comparison to lagoon. Was wondering how they sail and quality of build. I realise they all mass produced but am scared of big repairs like bulkheads separating . Gel coat crazing everywhere etcetc. Just trying to get a feel of quality level and also how they sail. Slapping bridge deck ? In 1 to 2 m swells? Some say they don’t sail into tue wind as good as lagoon?? These might all be stupid questions but the more info I can get the better I become informed . I have a lot to learn !!
Rango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2019, 12:54   #5
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Thre was another tread on Salina 48. Yu may want to check this first.

Cheers

Yeloya

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ight=salina+48
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote