Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2020, 18:35   #1

Boat: Freydis 49
Sails for 49' Cat with rotating mast

Replacing the sails on my Freydis 49 as the 10 year old Hydranet sails are in terrible shape.
I am currently in Fiji and planning on continuing my circumnavigation when able, I do not race, as such I am looking at a quality dacron and have been told to go crosscut as radial doesn't work that well with dacron. I have read some good reports of Fibercon and have decided to go with that for my Main and Genoa.
My question is how heavy would I have to make the sails keeping in mind that my headstay tension is generated from my mainsheet tension transmitted through the leech of the Mainsail.
I have received two quotes, one with both sails in 11.3 with 45% 2 ply leech on the main and 30% 2 ply on Genoa.
The second quote is main in 9.38 with 40% 2 ply in 8.38. Genoa in 9.38 with 30% 2 ply in 6.38.
Also is it OK to 2 ply with different weight of cloth as I have read they will stretch at different rates?
Old 28-09-2020, 01:13   #2

Boat: Outremer 55L
Re: Sails for 49' Cat with rotating mast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacey16 View Post
Replacing the sails on my Freydis 49 as the 10 year old Hydranet sails are in terrible shape.
I am currently in Fiji and planning on continuing my circumnavigation when able, I do not race, as such I am looking at a quality dacron and have been told to go crosscut as radial doesn't work that well with dacron. I have read some good reports of Fibercon and have decided to go with that for my Main and Genoa.
My question is how heavy would I have to make the sails keeping in mind that my headstay tension is generated from my mainsheet tension transmitted through the leech of the Mainsail.
I have received two quotes, one with both sails in 11.3 with 45% 2 ply leech on the main and 30% 2 ply on Genoa.
The second quote is main in 9.38 with 40% 2 ply in 8.38. Genoa in 9.38 with 30% 2 ply in 6.38.
Also is it OK to 2 ply with different weight of cloth as I have read they will stretch at different rates?

Fibrecon is basically the same as Hydranet, isn’t it?

Regarding tensioning the forestay, it’s the main’s leach that needs to be reinforced, including at each of the reef points, based on the loads of both main and genoa. The genoa cloth just has to be sized for the loads on that sail alone.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2020, 03:40   #3

Boat: Brazapi Serenity 51

Cross cut in 450 Nautosphere, contact Phil at Zoom sails. Installing same on my Brazapi 51.
Hiva Oa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2020, 13:07   #4

Fibercon is available in a few variations, Fibercon Hybrid has Dyneema threads similar to Hydranet. It is also available in AP and Pro, Pro being a tighter weave which Contender states will hold its shape better than AP but looses a bit of UV resistance. The Sailmaker recommends AP for overall endurance as this is for offshore sails.
Can't see much information on the Nautosphere material, has anyone got any firsthand experience with it?
I did wonder why the sailmaker quoted 2 ply on the Genoa leech also, is this common practice in a sail this size? As I will have a code 0 for lighter winds I don't mind having the Genoa a bit heavier.
Old 28-09-2020, 14:10   #5

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Marblehead is a very high quality tightly woven Dacron fabric but as it is fill orientated like most other Dacron is not suited to radial cut sails.

You can get warp orientated polyester fabric that is specifically designed for radial sails. With a radial design you also have the option to mix fabric weights by increasing the back half of the sail for better longevity and shape retention whilst keeping the luff lighter for easier readability.

Speak to Hyde Sails in Philippines, their quality and service is excellent and they do what you ask not what they do.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2020, 06:24   #6

Boat: Nautitech Open 46

I used to own Freydis 49 Cheorae.
We ended up staying with Radial cut Hydranet. Never worried about Forestay Tension. She had Synthetic ringing so used the Running back stays, to the point the main shroud went slack. Have a heavy self tacking Jib in Hydra net and a screecher good to 22 kts.
All from North in Ft. Lauderdale
Steel sails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2020, 22:48   #7

Hi Steel sails. I think I have been on Cheorea, met the new owners in Puerto Rico a few years ago, she had a new rig then.
It was Eric Lerouge who told me that the headstay was tensioned through the mainsheet but possibly didn't realise that I have running back stays. I run them fairly tight but feel I need to make the pad eye connection on the mast bit stronger before I crank them that hard, I was overlooking this, thanks for the information.
Old 01-10-2020, 04:06   #8

We've had two ply Dacron sails on our boat. They are very heavy and went deep when the breeze was on. The main was two ply on the leach, the #3 was completely two ply.
We have hydrant and string sails now.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast, rot, sail, sails