Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2018, 22:33   #31

Boat: Seawind 1000xl
Re: Sailing techniques in "uncomfortable" weather?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
On a well designed cat that sails well,

SNIP
To quote Voltaire 'If you would speak with me first define your terms'. I am not sure what a well designed cat means to me or anyone else.

I have spent a good deal of time training myself and my Seawind 1000 to heave to. Also been on other cats when they did the same thing or got caught in irons. Not to mention reading lots on the topics of heaving to and heavy weather topics.

The thing is not only are cats so different you can't really generalize about what they will do but probably more important the combination of sea state and wind force and direction vary even more than cats do. One thing I can say about my cat, and a lot of other cats I have been on, is frequently falling off 10, 15, or 20 degrees often makes a huge difference in how comfortable and safe I feel.

Maybe more to the point when I read someone say I was sailing to the Falklands it would seem obvious they have some real time at the helm of their boat and some of it in very bad weather. Which brings up the topic of weather. Again unless you are way off the beaten track you should have some idea what the weather is doing and which way to go to get away from the worst of it. Maybe that means heaving to for a few hours till a strong front passes, or maybe it means running away from an approaching hurricane.

Bottom line it there are way too many variables to answer the question 'what to do in heavy weather'.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 00:59   #32

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
The website shows it tacked down at the same place a jib would be, but I installed a pad eye about a foot behind the roller furling and it worked better.
Paul, could you explain this a bit, please? the Gale Sail that I am familiar with has webbing "hanks" that go around a furled head sail. So, how can you tack it way aft of t he furled sail? Seems that this ain't possible! I must be missing something!

Jim
Old 01-01-2019, 04:08   #33
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Sailing techniques in "uncomfortable" weather?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
Interesting. I'll have to try it sometime. My constant fear is always going into irons and the boat being shoved backwards. With the helm hard over it wouldn't go over well with most rudders. Also, what happens if due to a series of waves you actually tack?
Never lock helm hard over when hove to.. on any boat.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 04:27   #34

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Never lock helm hard over when hove to.. on any boat.
The "traditional" method is to lock/lash the helm over...so why not?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 04:50   #35
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yes one locks/lashes the helm so as to keep the bow pushing into the wind upto 30 odd degrees before falling off till the main starts pushing the bow back up..
However hard over achieves nothing as it offers to much resistance and your likely to find yourself beam on more often than at an angle to the sea's.
Basically it just stalls the boat.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 01-01-2019, 05:35   #36

Re heaving to:

I think whether a boat heaves to well, whether cat or mono, is heavily depedent on its underwater profile. Example, I own two very different boats: a Hobie 33 (go fast mono, deep narrow fin keel), a Wildcat 35 (cruising cat, mini keels which are quite long fore and aft relative to many other cats). The Hobie 33 was not designed to sit still, it is tempermental to get it to heave to (...or not sail at anchor, or even track for a moment without helm input). The W35 by contrast heaves to well and tracks like a train. The difference I think is simply the different keel configurations.

As a charter captain/sailing instructor, Ive taught heaving to for a few decades now across a wide range of monos & cats. Many makes and models of cats heave to just fine using the "traditional" method (reduced head sail backed, main slacked, helm over). As has been pointed out here, every boat is different and you must learn that specific boat, but Ive hove to successfully on many different production cats with relative ease: mostly various Leopards and Lagoons, as those are the bulk of the charter fleet. Fin keeled monos, like the H33, are one of the most difficult to heave to.

Ive also raced on Corsair trimarans. I have gotten one to heave to using the traditional method in moderate conditions, but it took a bit of fiddling...they are easier to heave to under main alone (I suspect this is really more like very slow fore-reaching, but have never checked closely to confirm).

Re terminology. I think the definition of related terminology is quite clear (heaving to, forereaching, lying ahull...), but is used very inconsistently by sailors...often due to lack of understanding of what these terms really mean...commonly due to lack of hands on experience with these techniques. It is surprising how many experienced sailors do not know how to heave to. As an Instructor Evaluator, I find it is one of the most common skills that instructor candidates, who are otherwise experienced sailors, lack.
Old 01-01-2019, 05:38   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Yes one locks/lashes the helm so as to keep the bow pushing into the wind upto 30 odd degrees before falling off till the main starts pushing the bow back up..
However hard over achieves nothing as it offers to much resistance and your likely to find yourself beam on more often than at an angle to the sea's.
Basically it just stalls the boat.
Ah, so you mean just dont lock/lash hard over, but at the most effective angle?

If so, I agree with that.
Old 01-01-2019, 06:17   #38
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Old 01-01-2019, 10:59   #39

Quote:
Interesting article. It's really hard for me to imagine a cat hove to with zero head sail. Personally, I'm not that impressed with his article and would guess that he was mostly guessing about how to do this than actually writing from a vast experience base with catamarans.

I don't know how much other people watch YouTube videos but I do - a lot. Almost everything I've every wanted to know can be researched by watching them. If you search for catamaran hove heave to there really aren't any showing the classic maneuver. There are about 50 for monohulls, zero for catamarans. I wonder why?

Except this one - bizarre.

and of course there's Nigel and his opinions:
The first video, titled "heave to" for reasons I dont comprehend, shows nothing more than a poorly executed tack.

The second video, though much better produced, also has very little to do with its title subject "catamaran sailing in storms and heavy weather". Motorsail upwind is his only related recommendation...really? Thats all you got?

Both pretty useless.

Hmmm...maybe an empty niche for a few well done YouTube videos.
Old 01-01-2019, 14:55   #40
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post

Definitely. The mass of You Tubers doing the "Oh, look at me in my bikini in semi-exotic places learning how not to do something" niche is full. Recently I watched Patrick Childress's channel and found it to be one of the best "how to's" out there.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCC7...oFn5eMyfTnaA8w
Old 01-01-2019, 15:03   #41
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Traveller right down. Sheet on,
What does traveller right down and sheet on mean? Do you mean traveller to windward and main sheeted tight?
Old 01-01-2019, 15:19   #42

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Quote:
What does traveller right down and sheet on mean? Do you mean traveller to windward and main sheeted tight?
No, traveller down means to leeward. Then, when you perform the tack the traveller will be as far as possible to windward.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 05:05   #43

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

Quote:
On a well designed cat that sails well, particularly with a roachy main heaving to without the headsail is the way to do it. Sail along on a reach, Furl headsail, Traveller right down. Sheet on, tack.
I'm curious. If you have no headsail out, why tack? Why not simply bring the traveler to windward and sheet in the main?

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 12:43   #44

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
The first video, titled "heave to" for reasons I dont comprehend, shows nothing more than a poorly executed tack.

The second video, though much better produced, also has very little to do with its title subject "catamaran sailing in storms and heavy weather". Motorsail upwind is his only related recommendation...really? Thats all you got?

Both pretty useless.

I agree about the first video. As for the second I suspect that it is designed for charterers who are not familiar with large cats . The manoeuvers he describes would be a good way of getting yourself out of a pickle .
Old 03-01-2019, 12:51   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by admiralslater View Post
I agree about the first video. As for the second I suspect that it is designed for charterers who are not familiar with large cats . The manoeuvers he describes would be a good way of getting yourself out of a pickle .
Probably so, not really properly titled, likely just intended to be simple solutions for inexperienced charterers in what are not really "heay weather" conditions.

Tags
sail, sailing, weather