Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2020, 13:43   #1

Boat: Leopard 46 Owners
Sailing/Cruising Lessons for my wife (near Annapolis)

I'm looking for someone in the Annapolis area to give sailing lessons to my
Wife.

Background.

About a year ago we bought a Leopard 46 sailing cat with the goal of moving on board and long term cruising in the Caribbean. Shortly after giving notice at work, Covid reared its ugly head and shut everything down. We have the boat in the Annapolis area for hurricane season, and are still living in our house and winding down full time jobs.

I am 55 and grew up sailing. Mostly day sails and extensive racing with several 2 week charters and week end cruises thrown in. I am comfortable on the boat, but cats are new to me and I'm sure there are some tricks & tips that would be helpful.

My wife of 28 years is 60 and has sailed and done a couple charters and weekend cruises, but is really not comfortable driving or doing any of the actual sailing of the boat. She is great on provisioning and other chores, but if I fell over, she would have a hard time getting back to me. She has already completed the ASA 101 course, but is still not really comfortable.

When I try to teach her, it becomes more personal than I would like, so I think it best that we bring on a third party.

So does anyone know of a good teacher of the skills needed to sail a multi hull? I think a female would be best if possible. Hoping for a week or so in the October/November time frame.

She is already searching the standards, like water sailing">Blue Water Sailing, and ASA. I'm trying to find more of a customized private teacher, preferable on our boat.

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

Ken
SailSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 14:03   #2

Re: Sailing/Cruising Lessons for my wife (near Annapolis)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailSB View Post
I'm looking for someone in the Annapolis area to give sailing lessons to my Wife.

My wife of 28 years is 60 and has sailed and done a couple charters and weekend cruises, but is really not comfortable driving or doing any of the actual sailing of the boat. She is great on provisioning and other chores, but if I fell over, she would have a hard time getting back to me. She has already completed the ASA 101 course, but is still not really comfortable.

When I try to teach her, it becomes more personal than I would like, so I think it best that we bring on a third party.

So does anyone know of a good teacher of the skills needed to sail a multi hull? I think a female would be best if possible. Hoping for a week or so in the October/November time frame.

Ken
To throw this in the ring in case there are not options that meet your wife's requirements.

My wife and I took, and will take more classes, from https://myrtlebeachsailingschool.com/. The two instructors are patient, know what they are doing, know how to teach, are not just going to pass you because you paid.

The school does *** NOT *** have a multihull, and both instructors are men, but there was no problem with their teaching my wife.

The hardest part of the 101 and 103 was the man overboard drills. The instructors made us do the drills over, and over, and over again until we got it right. Which is what should be done. If you did not get it right you were not going to be passed. Nor should one be passed if they can't do the drills.

The MOB procedures are just putting together the sailing skills one learned during the class.

If you can't find a place closer to you and/or with a Cat, SC is not that far away.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 14:08   #3

Boat: Leopard 46 Owners

Thanks!

To me it is fairly important that the lessons take place on a cat. Having the two motors 20 ft apart make boat handling under power a much easier, but very different affair.

Right now the number one choice seems to be the BWS out of Florida. Not on our boat, and a flight away, but neither of those are a big problem.

Ken
SailSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 15:10   #4

We are roughly in the same position except both of us aren't really sailors. Once we get the cat to the Caribbean, we will be hiring a teacher and they will teach us on our cat. The only "minor" glitch at the moment is the school supplying the teacher is in the BVI which is still closed up tight as far as I've been told.

We have hired someone to bring the cat to somewhere open in the Caribbean (and I will be joining that trip as a watch person).
NaClyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 09:53   #5

Boat: Island Packet 420

I would suggest that you post a request on the CAPCA.net job board. CAPCA is the Chesapeake Area Professional Captain's Association. All members are USCG captain rated, and you could request private lessons aboard your boat. Prices would be negotiable. There are also several female captains who are members who might be available (I'm a member, but not available).
sailing_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 11:32   #6

Boat: Beneteau 423

There used to be a community sailing program in Annapolis. If you don’t find that call Severn Sailing Association. It is a sailing club but someone there might know if they don’t offer anything for non-members.
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 13:13   #7

Boat: Catalina 425

Maryland School of Sailing is quite good but I dont know whether they have anyone who could help with cats. They did have at least one female instructor. In Rock Hall. Ask for Rita or Tom.
wizoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 15:00   #8

Boat: Hinckley, Sou'wester 42, 42 feet

SailSB, you will also be interested in in the Safety for Cruising Couples course offered by The Cruising Club of America. Go to cruisingclub.org
Godshalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 22:24   #9

Ditto Wizoc on the Maryland School of Sailing & Seamanship. They don't have a multihull, but have several female instructors, and they can make arrangements to come teach on your boat. They do the full range of ASA courses, but can also custom design lessons specific to your needs. Google them to see info on the school, instructors, courses, and get reviews from former students. When you talk to Tom, or his daughter, Rita, give them my regards. Jack
capnjack.morton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2020, 01:15   #10

Boat: Cruising Catamaran

These guys any good?
https://cruise-annapolis.com/charter...g-instruction/
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2020, 01:22   #11

Consider the good folks at Sea Sense Boating. Looks like their website is out of date (COVID?) but have been teaching women for 25-years. The two female captains specialize in all-women charters, both power and sail. Having taught all-women docking course, I can testify that all-women classes have a special kismet.

Despite having taught 100's of people to dock/close-quarters, I cannot teach my wife either.

Sailing Courses U.S. & International – Sea Sense… The Sailing & Power Boating School

Good luck.
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2020, 01:22   #12

Boat: Island Packet 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Tin View Post
I have no experience with the company. It doesn't look like they would teach on your boat.
Again, I recommend :

https://capca.net/hire-a-captain

Especially since you could personally interview the person ahead of time.
sailing_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2020, 05:00   #13

I hope this doesn't sound sexist or too generalized, but women especially seem to learn differently than men. A small group seems to promulgate teaching as they watch others learn vs men who get impatient to learn-by-doing and thus prefer private instruction.

Women's first worry is hurting someone else, or someone else's boat. #1 concern for many men seems to be not to look foolish, then damaging their boat.

My point being is that while you many find a captain to teach your wife on your boat, I would nudge you to consider an all-woman's teaching charter on another boat. The camaraderie amongst women is a great teaching platform.

That said, either of the two female captains at Sea Sense Boating would fly to your boat (depending on covid)

Good luck

Peter
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2020, 05:39   #14

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
I hope this doesn't sound sexist or too generalized, but women especially seem to learn differently than men. A small group seems to promulgate teaching as they watch others learn vs men who get impatient to learn-by-doing and thus prefer private instruction.

It's sort of a digression, but that's generally true in shooting, too. Female students usually try to do what the coach advises. Male students generally think they have a better idea.

Instructing ladies on boats has generally been easier, for me, than instructing men. (I'm licensed and teach, but not sailing.)

-Chris
Old 14-09-2020, 11:53   #15

Boat: Beneteau 43

Two Can Sail is a couple we have personally had teach us for a week on our boat and they also teach on catamarans. Will teach you everything including provisioning, organizing, spare parts, sailing, safety, anchoring, logging, engine, etc, etc. 10 years later we are still grateful for the lessons and routines they taught us that have kept us organized and safe cruising from New Orleans to the Bahamas. They spent the trip from St. Petersburg, FL to New Orleans with us when we moved the boat. Wonderful experience!
sailorbobdeb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
annapolis, cruising, sail, sailing