Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2019, 12:22   #1

Boat: Seawind 1000xl
Sail loft advice

Planning to get a new main sail for my Seawind. I have had Mack build my head sails in the past. I am kinda in the middle tier market, don't really need top tier lofts like Doyle, North, or others.

I came across Precision Sails and am seriously looking at them. Anyone use them before. I did notice some popular youtube guys use them.

Also wondering about triradial verses slab builds. I am getting conflicting advice from the lofts about which is better; maybe more to the point which is a better bang for the buck.

Any other advice welcome.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 17:03   #2

Boat: Harbor 20, Seawind 1370 (2024)
Re: Sail loft advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
Planning to get a new main sail for my Seawind. I have had Mack build my head sails in the past. I am kinda in the middle tier market, don't really need top tier lofts like Doyle, North, or others.

I came across Precision Sails and am seriously looking at them. Anyone use them before. I did notice some popular youtube guys use them.

Also wondering about triradial verses slab builds. I am getting conflicting advice from the lofts about which is better; maybe more to the point which is a better bang for the buck.

I'm a happy Calvert Sails customer. Dave Calvert is a long time sail designer, offshore multihull racer, and lives on a cruising cat in the Bahamas. Lots of real world experience. He also uses several lofts for the actual construction, so can help fine tune the design, materials, and loft to meet your needs.

A similar thread here http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...on-208024.html
Mark424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 17:35   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark424 View Post
I'm a happy Calvert Sails customer. Dave Calvert is a long time sail designer, offshore multihull racer, and lives on a cruising cat in the Bahamas. Lots of real world experience. He also uses several lofts for the actual construction, so can help fine tune the design, materials, and loft to meet your needs.

Went to the Calvert web site. two of the contact numbers were not in service; tried his direct cell number. Dave's wife answered and took a message on Monday. Still waiting for a ball back.
Old 03-03-2019, 06:50   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Leopard 46 catamaran

Quote:
Went to the Calvert web site. two of the contact numbers were not in service; tried his direct cell number. Dave's wife answered and took a message on Monday. Still waiting for a ball back.
Hi Tomfl, I was on our boat in the Exumas and just returned Saturday. My wife Trish said you did not leave a number and would contact me by e mail. Our phone number for the office in Florida is the same as it has been for 43 years, 303 664 8056. Most contact me by email, dave@calvertsails.com

I am available 7 days a week and always glad to discuss sails.
davecalvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 07:44   #5
Marine Service Provider

I'm personally a huge fan of Mack Sails. They've done a lot of work for my clients, and have always exceeded their expectations and mine. Great family owned business building sails in the great state of Florida.
Old 03-03-2019, 09:41   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by davecalvert View Post
Hi Tomfl, I was on our boat in the Exumas and just returned Saturday. My wife Trish said you did not leave a number and would contact me by e mail. Our phone number for the office in Florida is the same as it has been for 43 years, 303 664 8056. Most contact me by email, dave@calvertsails.com

not the way I remember the call
Old 03-03-2019, 16:49   #7
Marine Service Provider

Tomfl,
What phone number did you use? We have an office in Marathon Florida, our production sail loft in St. Petersburg, Florida, and my design office in the Bahamas. I answer emails every day so, am very available to boat owners directly with personal sail recommendations and custom designs for their Multihulls.
Old 03-03-2019, 17:18   #8
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Sail loft advice

Quote:

Pretty sure the area code is 305 not 303. Dates backs to the Islamorada loft?
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 00:43   #9

Boat: Freedom 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark424 View Post

Calvert did me a good set of sails two years ago
Old 04-03-2019, 02:00   #10

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

I can't say enough good things about our experience with Precision Sails.

Now, my opinion isn't unbiased due to them givings us our new headsail. But, since we first posted a video on the subject, we have spoken to at least 30-40 people that afterward went their route and have had zero negative feedback. (We do not get a referral or any benefit from posting any of this).

Worst case, get a quote from them and decide on price alone. But, if you were to give them a call, know that how well your treated before you buy is the same after purchase.

Matt

Matt
Old 04-03-2019, 07:45   #11
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Pretty sure the area code is 305 not 303. Dates backs to the Islamorada loft?
Yes, a typo on my part, 305 664 8056. Number from 1976 and still good.

I did try calling back. We have built many Seawind 1000 sails,
some have won races like the Ft. Lauderdale to Key West Race. We have had the time to evolve the mainsail designs to some quite fast.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:06   #12
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Yes, a typo on my part, 305 664 8056. Number from 1976 and still good.

I did try calling back. We have built many Seawind 1000 sails,

some have won races like the Ft. Lauderdale to Key West Race. We have had the time to evolve the mainsail designs to some quite fast.

We had one of your load path square tops on our old Seawind 1000, really liked it. And I believe Victor is still very happy with his Hydranet square top you built for his Seawind.
We hopefully will get our mast stepped on our TRT soon so I can get the measurements to you for the sails. Sorry for the delay, the weather this winter has been terrible.[emoji30]
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 20:24   #13

Boat: FP Belize 43
Send a message via Skype™ to gultekin

Quote:

I am a fan of Calvert sails. I recommend it highly.
gultekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 23:31   #14

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:

Tom, very left field but you could ask Niel at Barracuda Sails in Sydney Australia, I believe that he supplied original sails to seawind.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 00:05   #15

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Quote:

I've had a quote from them, but I balked a little at the long-winded presentation that included the logos of every boat where I'd be contributing towards their sails as well as my own.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail