Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2024, 13:33   #1

Sail Caribe charter ownership

Does anyone have any experience as an owner with Sail Caribe out of the SVI? How about as a charter client? Mainly looking for maintenance practices, but also facilities and facilities management, ease of use, etc.

(Happy to communicate offline if you prefer, as I am not looking to demean or specifically support a business, just looking for owner's and users personal experiences)
sg88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2024, 13:53   #2

Re: Sail Caribe charter ownership

I chartered with them back in 2014. My notes say:

Lagoon 400; Caicu; June 21, 2014; Sail Caribe, Fajardo, Puerto Rico; 10 days

It was a 2013 boat, so it was in excellent shape. I had no issues with the staff. I dealt mostly with Grant. I would sail with them again. IIRC, they had mostly new boats so consequently somewhat higher rates. The marina seemed to be well run.
Bullshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2024, 14:04   #3

Thank you. How were the SVI as far as cruising grounds?
sg88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2024, 20:02   #4

Boat: Catalina 320

We chartered a cat from them in May 2023. It was a good experience. The boat was in good shape and the office helpful and responsive. We loved Culebrita (no overnighting there) and snorkeling around Culebra. We wanted to see the bioluminescence on Vieques but our trip was canceled because of a thunder storm.
nibj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2024, 08:36   #5

I thought they were some good cruising grounds. We had friends living on St. Thomas so we sailed there, and shanghai'd one who was a some-time fishing guide, so we caught enough fish to eat for the trip. We saw bioluminescence, which was great, good snorkeling, hiking, views in the SVI. Not very crowded except for Isla Palominos if I recall. But we did avoid the ferries on Vieques.
Bullshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2024, 06:01   #6

Boat: Catalina 320

By the way, below is a link to a very useful article about cruising the SVI that we used extensively. I think there are updates on the YachtWarriors website as well.

https://yachtwarriors.com/sailing-in...ruising-guide/
nibj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2024, 08:14   #7

I'm considering chartering with Sail Caribe out of the SVI and was wondering if anyone has any experience with them, either as an owner or charter client. I'm particularly interested in hearing about their maintenance practices, facilities, and ease of use.
ferdinand191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2024, 10:25   #8

I've chartered with them a couple of times. Everything went well for the most part. Our first charter had a couple of boat issues but they were helpful in dealing with them.
Our second charter was trouble free. The base is great with plenty of provisioning options a short taxi ride away - or hit Costco on the way from the airport. It's a very large marina and the marina staff will usually shuttle you around in golf carts. The base staff were all friendly and made sure we knew what we were doing before setting us loose. My impression is that they take good care of the boats in their fleet. Getting fuel and water once you leave the base can be a challenge or even impossible so something to keep in mind.

On both of our charters we took the boat all the way to the BVIs and back so didn't spend a ton of time in the SVIs. What time we did spend there we enjoyed, but it doesn't have the infrastructure that the BVIs and USVIs have in terms of chartering. I think the islands are set up more for people coming over on the ferries versus the chartering crowd. That might be good for some and not so good for those that want beach bars and nightly dining options.

If you leave the SVIs and go into the USVIs you have to make sure to check in with CBP upon returning to the SVIs - even though you are transiting between US territories. Pretty easy to do and we've always been able to do it over the radio or phone. You do not have to check in when entering the USVI from the SVI.

I'd recommend trying out Sail Caribe. If you don't love the SVIs then you can just hop over to the USVIs - or even the BVIs if you have enough time. It can be an upwind grind to get there, but it just takes a few hours. Or you might get lucky with no wind that day.

If I was wanting to own a boat in charter and was Ok with a Lagoon I would consider keeping it in their fleet - but of course would get some projections from them and compare to other companies numbers. I think the ease of having it in Puerto Rico would be nice and the marina is really set up well.
capnmatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charter, ownership, rib, sail