Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-12-2019, 19:34   #61

Boat: Morgan Classic 33
Re: S/V Zingaro down for the count.

Always hard to guess from pictures, but that bulkhead certainly looks like it's been rotten for a while and the grain orientation in the plywood looks off 90 degrees. If the two bolts were added to aid in compressing the lamination between the various members, in an attempt to gain rigidity after construction was completed, in an ideal world the modification should have been noted to subsequent buyers.

If the rot is as substantial as it appears in the picture, it should have been detectable, if not obvious, to a careful surveyor or owner with an impact/sound test.

Hindsight is 20/20, but one can't help but wonder who decided the boat was fit for duty, if the picture tells a true story.
Attached Images

jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2019, 23:41   #62

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
Take the heli rescue and let insurance buy another boat. Complete idiots risking those cg lives trying to save a boat.
Great call on an uninsured boat... but from your couch it looks so easy. In this case it isn't clear just who the idiots are, but I don't think it is them.

I personally applaud their recovery efforts and that of their salvors... and I had never heard of them before these threads about their adventure/disaster/recovery.

So, Zingaros, good luck with your future boats and voyages. You have earned a spot in cruising history.

Jim
Old 31-12-2019, 00:00   #63

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Exactly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Great call on an uninsured boat... but from your couch it looks so easy. In this case it isn't clear just who the idiots are, but I don't think it is them.

I personally applaud their recovery efforts and that of their salvors... and I had never heard of them before these threads about their adventure/disaster/recovery.

So, Zingaros, good luck with your future boats and voyages. You have earned a spot in cruising history.

Jim
Old 31-12-2019, 00:54   #64

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

+1 to above
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2019, 14:39   #65

Boat: Idylles 15.5
Send a message via Yahoo to Idylles15.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
Take the heli rescue and let insurance buy another boat. Complete idiots risking those cg lives trying to save a boat.
Another genius. I imagine if you had (NO insurance) and everything you owned was on the line, you would just pack it in and let all your belongings sink to the bottom of the Pacific. In regards to his S/V as most people on here would attest to, if everyone waited until everything in their life was in perfect order, Home, finances, condition of boat, etc. no one would ever leave for their dream and adventure. A pox upon you and your inappropriate comments. They have a bigger set then most of the people on here. Just sayin.
Idylles15.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2019, 14:55   #66

Brian, Kazza and Sierra (their 5 month old daughter) are currently on Delos sailing in the caribbean. With an organic plan to sail up the coast of NA then to Greenland over the next year, it appears doubtful they are ready to leave Delos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneCrab View Post
I am not clear on whether James follows this site or you are re-posting from elsewhere, but maybe there is a mixed blessing in this incident and his decision to sell his boat rather than repair it. James are you listening?

Timing is everything. Brian and Kazza from Delos are landbased now, raising their baby. Brady and Blue were interviewed on 59-North.com #259: Senor Brady & Alex Blue // SV Delos where Brady said that he finds himself wanting a house, car and a more stable life.

Maybe James and Kim could join Brady and Blue for "Delos the Second Chapter". They've been talking about Delos 2.0 for a while but my impression is that their either their hearts aren't in it or the timing isn't right.

James and Kim could breathe new energy into the project. Two awesome YouTube adventure channels merging. A helping hand to the intrepid James and Kim. A new mission for Brady and Blue... Sign me up!
Go Wildcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2019, 15:32   #67

Boat: 1980 Choate CF40

So, I watched the livestream from their patreon (I'm a supporter) and they state that the plywood that the boat was made from is delaminating in several spots (the plywood layers themselves). They do not intend to rebuild the boat. They are moving it to Maui? Oahu? tomorrow, 80nm and will put it on the hard there.

Their intention when they did the livestream was to attempt to sell the boat to someone who would desire to rebuild it. He has done a lot of great custom work to the boat, and made it a lot stronger and well fitted out. They were thinking as of the livestream that they should be able to get 15k for the boat.

They want to do some more difficult waters, northern latitudes, and will be looking for a boat suitable for those conditions. IIRC, they are hoping to find an owner-finance situation with $$ down. If you know of anyone...

These guys are awesome. He's an ex-USN submariner, with his 100T license. I watch all their vids. I'm very happy they made it to port safely, and cannot believe they are going to sail it over to a different island! That said, they have seatow lined up and will be making the journey with some other boats attending them for safety.
Morgali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2019, 15:39   #68
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgali View Post
So, I watched the livestream from their patreon (I'm a supporter) and they state that the plywood that the boat was made from is delaminating in several spots (the plywood layers themselves). They do not intend to rebuild the boat. They are moving it to Maui? Oahu? tomorrow, 80nm and will put it on the hard there.

Their intention when they did the livestream was to attempt to sell the boat to someone who would desire to rebuild it. He has done a lot of great custom work to the boat, and made it a lot stronger and well fitted out. They were thinking as of the livestream that they should be able to get 15k for the boat.

They want to do some more difficult waters, northern latitudes, and will be looking for a boat suitable for those conditions. IIRC, they are hoping to find an owner-finance situation with $$ down. If you know of anyone...

These guys are awesome. He's an ex-USN submariner, with his 100T license. I watch all their vids. I'm very happy they made it to port safely, and cannot believe they are going to sail it over to a different island! That said, they have seatow lined up and will be making the journey with some other boats attending them for safety.

What custom work has he done to the boat and how did he make it stronger?
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2019, 16:06   #69

Boat: 1980 Choate CF40

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
What custom work has he done to the boat and how did he make it stronger?
Watch the video series for details. but in short, he's reworked the dagger boards, rebuilt the rudder systems to be stronger after both broke off, redid the standing rigging with Dynema and new steel forestay not long ago, I know he's glassed andworked on the hulls as well. He's always working on and improving that boat. He's a fan of over-fixing weak spots when they happen.
Morgali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2019, 17:22   #70

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgali View Post
Watch the video series for details. but in short, he's reworked the dagger boards, rebuilt the rudder systems to be stronger after both broke off, redid the standing rigging with Dynema and new steel forestay not long ago, I know he's glassed and worked on the hulls as well. He's always working on and improving that boat. He's a fan of over-fixing weak spots when they happen.
Yep, James sure tried to make it work but I think the 35 year old plywood was what brought him to the conclusion that even if he could put it back together it would still have dangerous flaws. I think he's made the right decision even though I know he loved that boat. I'm hoping they can work a deal with one of the cruising cat companies - similar to what La Vagabonde did with Outremer but not a performance cat as they really need something more blue water capable. Hopefully they'll get something big enough to carry a couple of extra hands for watch duty as well.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2019, 18:04   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

Jim
Apparently they were motoring by the time the CG showed up and had things under control (if you can call having the boat lashed together with dynema "under control"). Aside from moral support, the only thing the CG did was send them 15 gallons of diesel in their "dingy" A CG dingy is not like your dingy - they are serious weapons that would make most boats look like pool toys in comparison. As for a heli rescue, we'e not talking "beam me up Scotty" here. A diver has to jump into the water, board the vessel and send the passengers up one by one. This can be very tricky in 30 knot winds and would have been the one time CG personnel would have been put in a life threatening position. They declined the heli rescue and ended up motoring all the way into harbor.
Old 31-12-2019, 18:38   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Calling the Crowther Spindrift a coastal cruiser could be argued, but from what I’ve seen James really enjoys sailing and to go from the Spindrift to a supposed “blue water cruiser” may be a really depressing move for James and crew.
Calling the Crowther Spindrift a coastal cruiser could be argued. Their words -not mine. And yes going from a fast cat to monohull would be a buzz kill no doubt.
Old 31-12-2019, 19:55   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Wildcats View Post
Brian, Kazza and Sierra (their 5 month old daughter) are currently on Delos sailing in the caribbean. With an organic plan to sail up the coast of NA then to Greenland over the next year, it appears doubtful they are ready to leave Delos.
I have no inside information. I was just making a suggestion. My taking a break comment was based on Brady's interview with 59-North. Brady was questioning whether sailing with an infant would be fun and sounded like they all had reached a point where they would appreciate some other opportunities...sort of a restructuring, where they would still be with Delos, but not on board all the time. Brady said that he finds himself longing for what Brian gave up... house, car, yard etc.

They are working with 59-North, producing videos, and had many presentations, at the Annapolis Boat Show concerning their Arctic Circle trip together. Brian has also taken to interviewing or including other big name cruisers in the Delos videos, so my conclusion was that a venture with James and Kimmy wouldn't be too far out of the comfort zone for them, and one hell of a story.

It might be a good thing on a short term basis, but it is not my call. Just my "what if", or "wouldn't it be interesting?" I like both channels.
StoneCrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 02:51   #74

Looks repairable. It'd be a biggish project, but certainly doable. A couple of months work could see it stronger than new.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 06:32   #75
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Looks repairable. It'd be a biggish project, but certainly doable. A couple of months work could see it stronger than new.
you will probably find the other hull has similar issues.
best bet would be a little surgery with a chainsaw,then repair the hulls and turn it into a wharram
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote