Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2016, 03:50   #31

Boat: Stevens 47
Re: S/V Delos discusses mono vs. cat with cruising couple.

Hobie ind - Mozambique channel was very interesting. It's all about the current, which meanders, constantly changing with strong swirling eddies 30-odd miles across. Fortunately, current gribs were very good for those that cared to look.

LLCoolDave - Pay or don't pay it's a choice - but suggesting that they're disingenuous is wrong. They've been cruising 6+ year, and the videos have been making money for about a year (and not so much in the beginning) - so you do the math. I know for a fact they were broke. Regarding their rigging, the Langkawi inspection was a joke - they emailed me after asking for advice. I suggested they rerig themselves, sourcing wire/fitting from Singapore. They got a quote for rerig in Thailand and price was insultingly high. So they went with DIY, saved $$ and learned a lot in the process. They're good people and no BS. I hope their new found success continues, they work hard at it.
svTOTEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 07:20   #32

I found the discussion about the mono/cat very informative. Especially about loads on rigging and 'blown out' sails that no one else told me to expect. I just wish they would have addressed more of the livability issues but I'm not complaining by any means.

Personally I learned much from the Delos videos and I support them on Patreon. Issues like rigging and provisioning are helpful, but how to deal with shakedowns by locals, theft, and even making your own hooch are awesome! I find their ability to support themselves from youtube vids inspiring and smart - but then again I'm a tech guy so I get it. I also watch Impy, Vagabond, Salty and others as well - they are all great ad keep me inspired!

I think it's great that a former tech guy (and Electrical Engineer) Brian got out of the daily crap of the tech world and decided to sail around the world recognizing that he might be able to supplement the effort using modern-day social media. I don't blame him that beautiful women and his bro want to ride along! Yea, maybe some of them suffer from vocal fry and upspeak, but I have had to put up with many so called business 'professionals' use fillers when speaking - maybe not the word 'like' - but certainly 'UM' enough times to make me wonder if they are having a stroke. It's a sign of the times and I would caution not to date yourself with indignance toward it...

The day Delos quits making vids will be a sad day to me.
dploypos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 07:42   #33

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Frog View Post
I don't know about Patreon donations, but if we talk about money generated from videos, $2 per 1000 views (that's what an average youtube channel makes from vids). Now, you can quite easily calculate what they make. Just add total views, divide by 1000, and multiply by $2.
Where in the hell are you getting these numbers. Please provide a link to a source that youtube channels make $2/1000 views (average).

I think you are sorely mistaken how youtube works. You are paid based on a huge number of factors and whether advertisers have bid on your videos. This is affected by not only the popularity of your videos, but the market they are targeted at.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 08:18   #34

Boat: Ohlson 29

The "problem" with making YT vids and using Patreon is simple: you can't please everyone so whatever you do, there will always be people who think it's all BS. And who'll say just about anything about you online to convince others their opinion isn't just an opinion, but The Truth - and all need to hear it and agree

As to the "milking": I've only seen a few Delos vids, but with this cat interview they simply wrote down the questions that they were asked most, and let the couple answer them. I don't see how that's "milking" anything.

It may not answer any question people here have, but guess what: they didn't make the vids for CF members, they made them for their own audience.

I think most people who follow cruisers and donate a few $ aren't cruisers or even sailors, but people who live vicariously through those cruisers, getting a 'behind the scenes' look into a lives they'll never live and wonder about.
And those people also understand that if no money comes in, people will stop taking so much time to make video's - the donations are a way to ensure they'll keep coming.
It's a great deal, I think: the fans donate a very small amount, get a lot of content in return and even get their questions answered. For the cruiser, it's a way to work to keep cruising. And yes, it IS work - it takes a LOT of time to produce a decent video.

But it's a win-win: fans get a load of content for a few $, the content producers get the funds to keep doing what they're doing. It's a win-win. Everybody happy.
Old 17-01-2016, 09:14   #35

Boat: 45' CC ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
Where in the hell are you getting these numbers. Please provide a link to a source that youtube channels make $2/1000 views (average).

I think you are sorely mistaken how youtube works. You are paid based on a huge number of factors and whether advertisers have bid on your videos. This is affected by not only the popularity of your videos, but the market they are targeted at.
Er... May I humbly suggest using google? I am talking about averages here, but some people claim as high as $4/1000 impressions on some videos. I am well aware that numbers depend on the topic etc, but I was talking about averages.
Sea Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 09:21   #36

Quote:
Er... May I humbly suggest using google? I am talking about averages here, but some people claim as high as $4/1000 impressions on some videos. I am well aware that numbers depend on the topic etc, but I was talking about averages.
Actually impressions are not paid. Click are paid.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
NorthernIsland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 09:27   #37
Zeb

Boat: Seaward 25

Found the Delos series interesting content.

Patreon is pretty straight forward with the person donating having the ability to limit your maximum monthly contribution regardless of how many videos are produced so there really is no milking it. You decide from the outset how much you would like to donate per video and then establish the monthly max.

As to youtube reimbursement, it wildly varies.

As with everything on CF...haters gonna hate....lol

- Zeb
Zeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 09:31   #38

Boat: 50' Cat (someday) ok maybe 45' Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by svTOTEM View Post
Can't wait to see the CF muck when our interviews with Delos come out... And milking it, really? Delos makes a product and people buy it. Should they limit subscribers because they're too popular? Or somehow less pure sailors? They've found the holy grail of cruising - live the lifestyle and make money to keep it going.
Couldn't have said it any better. Why people get all butt hurt and jealous when other people actually succeed at something they wish they could succeed at is beyond me. Delos videos are great-I even have my landlubber wife into them. She even said she would "try" cruising. THANK YOU DELOS. T-minus 52 months till we shove off.
Old 17-01-2016, 10:03   #39

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
WOW.. Did you even read what you posted.. The very first result..

"Advertisers only pay when someone clicks an ad or watches for 30 seconds. This is why you can't tie your channel views to dollars. If your video gets ten million views but nobody watches or click the ads, you don't make any money. This is how I'm able to make $1 per 25 views"

Here is a very good video explaining how it works. Averages simply don't work for the youtube model

If you really are interested in how much they are making. Brian did a talk about this and was very open. It was before their Patreon account had taken off.

another great resource is the Sailloot podcast where they are interviewed.
Sail Loot Podcast 001: The Adventures of Delos and How They Keep It All Going
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 10:42   #40

Boat: hydrostream

SV Delos is impressive undertaking. Most i know can't change their oil on a regular basis or winterize their own boats, much less make new brushes or re-rig a 53 ft Ketch.
Revisiting sailing and cruising 25 years later, I was thrilled to find the YT crowd..Paragon, Delos, Vegabond, Follow the Boat, Wicked Selfie... and everybody else who puts up content for us to enjoy.. or cringe at.
Thanks ...
Old 17-01-2016, 11:39   #41

Boat: Looking

I can attest that I emailed Brian with some questions and one of them mono vs cat. He took the time to email me back answering what he could with his experience and let me know that there was a video they were working on about the cat vs mono question. He seemed to be quite friendly and using his knowledge to help promote full-time cruising. My 2 daughters are always on the lookout for the new videos from Delos and La Vagabonde as we are hoping to start cruising in the next 6 months to a year possibly sooner if the cards line up right.

And for the big surprise...... I don't send them any money as I am saving all the cash I can to start our cruising life.

I think what they are doing is great and hope they keep it going along with all of the other youtuber's. They is a wealth of information of people out there actually cruising.

I found the rigging videos very helpful as I am diy guy

Mike
Back when I used to go fast, I'm #11
https://youtu.be/_Y1cnZcGmFY
Udacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 12:54   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillbuilding View Post
I find it interesting how these local/national linguist patterns emerge. Often nothing to do with the media.

Australians have a peculiar linguistic which is to use "yeah, no" as a preliminary or afterthought in conversation. Never heard it on TV or written. Curious.

Very like "like" in the US ? ��

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forums lily hhrn
It's "Yeah nah" if they mean no, and "Yeah nah yeah" if they mean yes.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 16:08   #43
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Or yeah nah yeah nah yeah nah, nah yeah if really contemplating the response that usually takes more contemplation directly proportional to the number of bevies consumed
Gotta laugh when Aussies bag other nationalities use of English eh. I don't even know what I'm saying half the time 🙉
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 22:49   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
Or yeah nah yeah nah yeah nah, nah yeah if really contemplating the response that usually takes more contemplation directly proportional to the number of bevies consumed
Gotta laugh when Aussies bag other nationalities use of English eh. I don't even know what I'm saying half the time ��
Yeah nah yeah!

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 23:13   #45
cruiser

Boat: OPBs

I've always understood 'yeah nah' as 'I understand what you're saying but no, I don't agree'

Or something similar 🤓

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
tp12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising