Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2022, 14:05   #1

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lavezzi 40
rudder cables on FP Lavezzi cat

Our FP Lavezzi has a broken rudder cable. The rudders themselves are OK, I can steer with the emergency helm and with the autopilot. It is just the vectran rope that is broken. I can actually see the broken rope by taking away a plastic panel on the inside of the steering console. But how do I get to the other end - the part connected to the rudder?

Thanks for helping me out, Robert
Jeanvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 14:03   #2

Boat: Chamberlin 11.6 catamaran
Re: rudder cables on FP Lavezzi cat

Gday Robert,

I don't know the Lavezzi but here is my 2 cents worth of input.

I am guessing you can't mouse the ends and pull them through, so you are looking at the two broken ends. If I am sending wires along through small spaces I have two tricks.

The first is to get some galvanised wire from a hardware store. Check out the bendiness with consideration of your hose. Hopefully it is straightish. (Actually if it is straight then all is good - use fold up tent poles to push through a small piece of venetian blind cord and you have you mouse). I can't really see how the hose could have a bend in a steering cable so the wire, or tent poles could be good to get the VB cord through, then you pull the new spectra through.

The second is interesting. Put a vacuum cleaner on one end and push a piece of string - maybe tie a very small piece of rag on the end - down the other end. Electricians use this method to place a mouse down conduit. This is the most fun method.

cheers

Phil
catsketcher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cables, Lavezzi, rudder