Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2010, 10:52   #1

Arrow 'Round the World Voyage - Issues ?

Hello, I am a young guy who wants to do an around the world voyage that would take about 5 years. About Me:

I am in my mid-20's, well off, and self-employed. I have no intentions of "settling down" anytime even remotely soon. I want to see the world, and figured: Why not do a circumnavigation? I can work anywhere in the world, I want to see the world, and the sea has always appealed to me. I have settled on either a Lagoon 440, or perhaps the new Lagoon 450.

I figure, why live in the same place, when I can move my home around the world?

But alas, there are some doubts creeping into my mind. I am an outgoing person, but am very happy to spend extended time alone. But I wonder: will I get lonely out there? I know no one can answer this for me, but I was wondering if anyone has any insights.

Questions? Comments? Suggestions? All is helpful.
WhataWorld! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2010, 11:22   #2

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
I would not try to single hand either of those boats.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2010, 11:23   #3

Boat: L 34
H.W.Tillman, when asked by a young admirer, "How do I get started on an Expedition" answered, "Put on your boots." That's what you gotta do. Start your adventure today, your way, let it unfold as it must. No-one can give you a master plan. You are you. Go west young man, go west.
holmek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2010, 12:07   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhataWorld! View Post
Hello, I am a young guy who wants to do an around the world voyage that would take about 5 years. About Me:

I am in my mid-20's, well off, and self-employed. I have no intentions of "settling down" anytime even remotely soon. I want to see the world, and figured: Why not do a circumnavigation? I can work anywhere in the world, I want to see the world, and the sea has always appealed to me. I have settled on either a Lagoon 440, or perhaps the new Lagoon 450.

I figure, why live in the same place, when I can move my home around the world?

But alas, there are some doubts creeping into my mind. I am an outgoing person, but am very happy to spend extended time alone. But I wonder: will I get lonely out there? I know no one can answer this for me, but I was wondering if anyone has any insights.

Questions? Comments? Suggestions? All is helpful.
Thats a lot of boat to single-hand. What is your boating experience?
Old 15-08-2010, 22:47   #5
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhataWorld! View Post
I am an outgoing person, but am very happy to spend extended time alone. But I wonder: will I get lonely out there? I know no one can answer this for me, but I was wondering if anyone has any insights.

There's plenty of people out there doing it too. Its even crowded in lots of places on the cruising routes with plenty of social activities and fun stuff. The times apart from everyone else can be the most treasured in the whole cruise. Just the boat, us and a dolphin or two

If you buy a boat with a liquid resale market you can predict exactly what your boat market value is. And it can be quite quick to sell if you are realistic about the price.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
round the world