Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2007, 13:10   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
I went with separate tack and clew lines because I didn't want a huge tail and wanted more positive contral of both the clew and tack. I can pull down the tack 'right now' and retention the halyard in a few seconds without having to pull on a whole bunch of line. Have had problems in other boats with the mainsail not wanting to come down and didn't want to have to pull 20'-60' of one line to get both ends snugged up. My main is over 300 sf with the third reef point 15' up the sail.

Aloha
Peter O.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2007, 20:50   #47

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Bahia 46 Maestro
Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post
Peter,

Once you get the boom angle correct, and have hoisted the sail and furled it a few times, you get the hang of how to control it so that it furls neatly every time. With practice, you also learn how it sometimes can be hoisted or furled when not pointing directly into the wind, without doing damage.

Bottom line: it's not really foolproof, but even an old fool like me can operate it with ease :-)

Bill

Bill, we couldn't agree with you more.

Eight years ago, sailing back from New Caledonia to NZ we encountered some horrific weather conditions. Three fronts in three days with enormous seas and 40 to 55 knot winds. We didn't realise at first what we were in for and were slow to reef appropriately. Getting the deep reef in the main was relatively easy but tying up the billowing foot of the main, that was constantly, (and dangerously, I might add) filling up with water was rather a strain on the Captain.

Back in NZ we did our research and yes, at great expense installed a Leisure Furl in boom main, fully battoned and losing very little sail area.
It is the best thing we could have done. Yes we do have the odd blonde moment and may not have the topping lift and vang holding the boom at exactly the right angle but it does allow some flexibility. Yes, we do use an electric winch on the cabin top which also doubles as a mainsheet winch (lazy huh!).

We have also been pondering the question of whether or not to have the same system installed on our future "cat". A friend has a 60 something foot cat with a Leisure furl and seems to be happy with it but only intends to do coastal cruising. Another guy we know, recently set out on a circumnavigation in a cat, would have liked one but couldn't justify the expense. The batt car systems seem to work well but I have seen them jamb too.

Time will tell I guess.
Cheers
L
Kiwikat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roller furler