Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2015, 04:32   #1

Rocna 40 or 33 on Leopard 48

Has anyone successfully fit a Rocna 40 or 33 on a Leopard 48. I need to order one or the other (prefer bigger) but my boat will not be delivered to me until September. Want to have the anchor by then and not wait to order (needs to be shipped from overseas). Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
HKTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2015, 04:39   #2

Re: Rocna 40 or 33 on Leopard 48

Get a mantus. You can take off the rollbar if you need to
sailnow2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2015, 11:23   #3

Boat: Leopard 46

Did you ask R&C? Also try posting the question on the Leopard users group on Yahoo. We just put an 85 lb Mantus anchor on our Leopard 46 and it fit perfectly, including the roll bar. Rocna 40 sounds about the same size.
RRMontgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2015, 14:37   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailnow2011 View Post
Get a mantus. You can take off the rollbar if you need to
yes, I would think that might be a better option, if you were nearer here i would say get a a sarca, but failing that mantus is also a good option.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2015, 17:38   #5

Boat: 2015 Fountaine Pajot SABA 50

I looked hard at the Leopard 48 several times, and still like the boat. Instead I bought and have outfitted to the extreme, a Helia 44.. But it was a toss up, you have a nice boat there... I have a Rocna 33 as my primary anchor, on 300 feet of 10mm HT Armagal chain.

After 40 years of yachts, this is my first Cat. I thought my experience in anchoring might change due to the windage of Cats, but after just over a year now of experience, I have decided that it has not really changed after all.. More windage with Cats, but somewhat less weight than many of my monohulls. Anyway no change.

The Rocna was my choice. Mantus and all the rest, are all about the same in practical terms, I will not argue which is the best as the tests are biased and not the Gospel. I wanted the rigid roll bar, and thought I might even use it in a rock jamb to pull the hook in reverse, even grappling it with a hook if I was just snorkelling. I like the Rocna, an amazing immediate set hard.

On size, hmmm, the correct answer would be: "With how much chain?" I mean if you were not going all chain rode, then go the larger hook. With all chain rode the Rocna 33 is fine. I am a heavily loaded Helia 44, with more luxury gear and equipment and tankage than just about anyone I have heard of, so comparable probably to your Leopard 48 in anchoring terms. In my book, what is 7 kg? I mean if you are in doubt go the larger hook, however the Rocna 33 is MASSIVE... Go see one, it looks like you are not even going to get it down the dock, I mean it is definitely overkill. My best advice: Big on chain, all chain, go the 33. Light on chain, only part chain road, go the heavier Rocna.

Incidentally, I have a secondary hook, like to motor forward to drop or put in the dinghy with a storm brewing and set it out by hand, all hooked up ready to go. It is a Cobra II 20 Kg the boat came with. It has about a boat length of chain and 100 M of 3/4 " nylon, oversized swivel and shackles wired shut. I have never put it out, but it makes be feel good...
Helia 44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leopard, rocna