Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2010, 06:25   #16

Ron should be getting good at flipping it right side up.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2010, 12:04   #17

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Ok, I won't mention it.
regards,
Old 25-07-2010, 01:25   #18

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joli View Post
Ron should be getting good at flipping it right side up.
How many times has that guy's boat flipped?

(BTW guys like him are the reason guys like me pay higher insurance rates, and some carriers won't insure multis)
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2010, 05:47   #19

They've flipped at least twice. They are good sailors but push the boat very hard. It is a highly modified F31 with lifting foils. Suprising they were able to flip it again with the new foils, maybe that's an old video?

Here is the write up from Ft Lauderdale.

http://www.lake-eriemultihull.com/ca...kee_monkee.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
How many times has that guy's boat flipped?

(BTW guys like him are the reason guys like me pay higher insurance rates, and some carriers won't insure multis)
Old 25-07-2010, 06:43   #20

Boat: Shuttlecat 32
Quote:
They've flipped at least twice. They are good sailors but push the boat very hard. It is a highly modified F31 with lifting foils. Suprising they were able to flip it again with the new foils, maybe that's an old video?

Here is the write up from Ft Lauderdale.

Capsize of Cheekee Monkee
New video, just happened. Not sure any foils will save you from 70kts wind dead astern.
Old 25-07-2010, 13:41   #21

Quote:
They've flipped at least twice. They are good sailors but push the boat very hard.
They are not good enough. Can you be a "good sailor" and not know when you're pushing beyond the limits or using poor judgment?

The sound track in that video seems to indicate the owner thinks it's a joke that he wrecked his boat. It wouldn't be funny at all if a crew member were injured or killed.
Old 25-07-2010, 16:31   #22

Boat: Atlantic 42 Catamaran
Quote:
They are not good enough. Can you be a "good sailor" and not know when you're pushing beyond the limits or using poor judgment?

The sound track in that video seems to indicate the owner thinks it's a joke that he wrecked his boat. It wouldn't be funny at all if a crew member were injured or killed.
Some of the best sailors in the world manage to flip X40's. Crashing small boats is part of the fun. You're right that at some size the cost and danger may be greater than most would be willing to take. I have a pretty clear idea of where that boundary is for me. I'm wary of suggesting where it should be for other folks so long as they are aware of the risks and are taking responsibility for them.

Tom
tsmwebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2010, 17:29   #23
cruiser

End over end is the only logical way one can expect to right a multi without detroying it.
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2010, 06:35   #24

Boat: Corsair F31"Susan C" & Sea Pearl 21"Maggie"
SailFastTri,
I've always viewed sailboat racing as the ultimate example of poor seamanship. I don't have the balls to win but still like to show up every once in a while. Cheeky Monkey is a single purpose boat, win sailboat races. The crew is seasoned, dedicated and aware of their risks. I must assume that the underwriters are also aware of these facts. I remember after turtling my Sea Pearl and while watching hundreds of $'s pour down the drain I was willing to laugh at about anything, especially seeing her once again right side up. Dave
DaveOnCudjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2010, 12:25   #25

We have fairly active multi hull racing here. The multis race on the same course and in the same events the mono's do. We have become accustomed to any and all of them flipping, this includes F's, R's, Stilettos, Atlantic's, and others. It happens every year with one or more are going over. We have had tragedies that we all grieve but when you race that is a chance you take. Our weather can be very unsettled, the water is cold and help can be a long way off. When you are in the middle of the lake and 70 or 80 knots blows through and you are bobbing up and down on 12 footers with a 4 second period the light weight of the racing multi is not an asset.

It is what it is, most of the guys I know who race their multis are good sailors.

Quote:

Old 26-07-2010, 12:37   #26

You guys must have deeper pockets than me. I'm having enough trouble paying my kids tuitions, so I don't want to pay the boatyard owner's kids tuitions too.
Old 18-11-2013, 22:17   #27

Boat: Still building
Re: Righting a Capsized Tri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
End over end is the only logical way one can expect to right a multi without detroying it.
Not necessarily......

There are well-documented cases of larger beach cats (+20ft) self-righting using masthead float and quick-release shrouds.

Basically the masthead float stops the mast sinking, and releasing the shrouds furthest from the water enables the hull to pivot around the base of the mast, enough that the hulls flip right-side up and drag the mast up out of the water...

Like this 26ft Firebird:

.....and yes, I know it's a cat, not a tri, but same principle applies, I would imagine.
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2013, 10:58   #28

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

The recommended procedure for Dragonfly boats is the same as what was done with Cheekee Monkee.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2013, 11:20   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

I have been investigating tri's, but how easy are they really to flip? Senor, have you ever got close in your Dragonfly? Are cruising tri's different than racing tri's in this regard.?
I want the space, I want the speed, but I do not want to be in the water during a storm
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2013, 12:07   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
I have been investigating tri's, but how easy are they really to flip? Senor, have you ever got close in your Dragonfly? Are cruising tri's different than racing tri's in this regard.?
I want the space, I want the speed, but I do not want to be in the water during a storm
Good evening,
A tri such as the Farrier range are essentially fast cruising boats and you will have to really tri hard to flip it in cruising mode. Even when pushing hard in the open ocean the boat is far from being on the edge.
We took my former boat, a F9 which is a trailer sailer trans Atlantic on a race and not once did I feel that we are on the edge. You must just be sensible and accept that there is a limit to how hard you can push it.
Check out Ian Farrier's website. He explains it all.
Lovely boats.
Regards,
Banjo.
Banjo is offline   Reply With Quote