Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-09-2014, 20:35   #16

Re: Renamed our boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Hey, I'm glad you had a good naming party, and I surely believe that you should use a boat name that is meaningful to you and yours.

But why must so many cat owners involve the syllable "cat" or "two" or the word "double" in their selected names? It has become more than trite IMO.

Oh, and to not be too selective, the same sort of question about trimaran owners and variants on " three" and so on.

Most of us can tell that your boat has more than one hull when we see it, and we guess that you bought a multi because you like them... I just don't get it! Not that it matters, really! We'll keep an eye out for Catlypso as we pass through the Sydney area on our way back to Tassie in a few months. If we encounter you, we'll even show you the Hagar the Horrible comic strip that lead to our naming our boats "Insatiable".

Cheers and good sailing.

Jim
So how about sailboats called "Wind" this and "Wind that"? Or boats in general called "Sea-whatever" or "Ocean- something"?

Trite as well, in your view?
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 20:50   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Anyhow, that's how Insatiable II got her name.

Jim
Good story, and interesting. Thank you
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 21:51   #18

Boat: Lightwave 38' Catamaran - now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
You put the name on the boat, before the Ceremony?
Yes, but it was not visible to anyone and no-one but us knew the name. Again, the renaming protocols permit this.

I also love the name Following C's, but if you want to be grammatically correct, is should be Following Cs as the C represents (presumably) many of the letter C rather than C having ownership.

Thanks for all your comments.
clownfishsydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2014, 02:28   #19

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
So how about sailboats called "Wind" this and "Wind that"? Or boats in general called "Sea-whatever" or "Ocean- something"?

Trite as well, in your view?
Yep, sure enough trite. The ubiquitous use of those ideas also gets my goat... surely folks have more imagination than that!

But again, let me repeat that everyone should name their boat in a way that is meaningful to themselves. I just wish that there was less repetition - we were once in a fairly remote anchorage with three boats called "Windsong". And then there is our friend and fellow CFer "Weyalan" who has a boat named "Insatiable". We refer to them as the impostors!

In many countries (as you doubtless know CC44) registered boats must have a unique name. This leads to both some interesting new names and things like Windsong XV and Windsong of Mooba* and so on.

Anyhow, in the real world, folks get to name their boats however they want, and I get to complain about their choices... freedom of speech and all that, y'know.

Jim

*Mooba is an actual town name in northern New South Wales. I always chuckle when we encounter it. How would you like to go through life saying "I'm from MOOBA" ?
Old 23-09-2014, 02:32   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Good story, and interesting. Thank you
Why, you are most welcome!

Jim
Old 23-09-2014, 02:35   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris95040 View Post
meh. My votes for CATLYPSO.
And sir, I hope that with your support Catlypso is elected.

Jim
Old 23-09-2014, 02:40   #22

Good luck with the renaming. ..we did the same but still gut a lightning strike within 30 days of the ceremony. Should have found the elusive virgin to pee on the bow. Might have worked better. Great looking boat, love the name!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Sailingcouple13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2014, 03:07   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailingcouple13 View Post
Good luck with the renaming. ..we did the same but still gut a lightning strike within 30 days of the ceremony. Should have found the elusive virgin to pee on the bow. Might have worked better. Great looking boat, love the name!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
These days that would tend to be an ugly 12 year old...

Correctly the virgin is sacrificed to the boat and you spill the blood. We decided that might get us in trouble so looked for alternatives. Peeing (these days) is an alternate to the blood letting but we decided not to go there either. We decided to pass a 5 year old girl over the bow three times and spilled red wine on the bow and the sea. No one questioned her chastity and I presume Poseidon was appeased as she hasn't sunk after 7 years.

Properly the new name should not be on the boat until it is de-named. This is all about Poseidon's realm and him having a complete and accurate list of all in his domain. A boat registered (with Poseidon) with one name and carrying a different name is confusing to Poseidon and angers him. As does two (both) names on the same boat. You have to eradicate the old name. This caused us to get rid of a couple of perfectly good horseshoe floats.

A part of denaming is to scribe the old name on a suitable bit of metal and casting it into the sea so that Poseidon can remove the name from the rolls.

Superstitions are fun and great. The wife of my partner was responsible for the metal plaque and she blew it off. I read to her the consequences of not doing that and she got super serious about it and Jimmied up a suitable medallion.

Most important was the 12 bottles of champagne & red wine, the case of beer and the bottle of rum...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2014, 03:28   #24

Boat: Privilege 435

Like the name. And I love catamarans too.
And by the way, in greek mythology Calypso promises Odysseus eternal youth and immortality. Maybe some of that rubs off for you, good luck!
SwissMocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2014, 04:06   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

We renamed ours last weekend. Her name on the CG registration before I bought her was Eqqus, which is a horse, sorry but I'm not calling my boat a horse.
Name on the stern is Dreamcatcher
Her original name was Stargazer, so we took her back to her original name.
What's odd is I bought her in Daytona, PO bought her from Hilton Head SC, hailing port on the stern is Bath Me.
Is there a way to find out who or how many PO's she has had?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2014, 04:24   #26

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2 (2008)

I was going to name my cat "Bare Naked" because it's redundant without using a common bi-hull term. I have nothing against using descriptive prefixes or suffixes but I wasn't leaning that way. Besides, who doesn't like to go sailing "Bare Naked"? That name seemed a bit tacky though and the third mate (I'd been married twice before) vetoed that name. In the end I needed a name that was easy to spell phonetically and tropical in nature. I named my cat "Mango" and had my own ceremony although it had nothing to do with sailing tradition or appeasing mythological deities. I checked out of the place I bought my boat after removing the name from the hull. Later that day I cleared to another location in with the new name and then went back to the boat and stuck the new name on. A few days and a couple islands later I bought some over-ripe fruit in Anguilla and was sitting on the back of the starboard hull making a sticky mess of consuming my favorite fruit. This guy passes by in a small skiff and slows down to say,"mon, you must really like dem mangoes". How could I not feel good about the name?

Catlypso is a fine name for a catamaran. Fair winds and following seas!

Let me know if you ever want to shake my hand.
kmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2014, 17:53   #27

Quote:
Yep, sure enough trite. The ubiquitous use of those ideas also gets my goat... surely folks have more imagination than that!

But again, let me repeat that everyone should name their boat in a way that is meaningful to themselves. I just wish that there was less repetition - we were once in a fairly remote anchorage with three boats called "Windsong". And then there is our friend and fellow CFer "Weyalan" who has a boat named "Insatiable". We refer to them as the impostors!

In many countries (as you doubtless know CC44) registered boats must have a unique name. This leads to both some interesting new names and things like Windsong XV and Windsong of Mooba* and so on.

Anyhow, in the real world, folks get to name their boats however they want, and I get to complain about their choices... freedom of speech and all that, y'know.

Jim

*Mooba is an actual town name in northern New South Wales. I always chuckle when we encounter it. How would you like to go through life saying "I'm from MOOBA" ?
Actually I think the town is called Mooball. Driven through it numerous times. Up near Murwillumbah IIRC.

But everyone has their own preferences for names I guess. I wanted a unique name, not a name with a number attached, like "Orca 798", which made it even more difficult. But I don't criticise those who do have numbers after their names. It's what they wanted to call their boat, and that's their choice.

Still we ended up with a name we like, and if somebody else doesn't like it, tough.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2014, 18:00   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

I live in that area. It is named Mooball that is correct. However, the locals may refer to it as Mooba because Murwillumbah locals call that Murbah. I have heard the latter and call it that myself, but I have never actually heard Mooba and it is so similar they may have been some confusion as to which they were referring to.

The signs at the end of the village of Mooball, say "Hooroo from the Moomoo". Information that I give freely so that your life is complete.

Coops.
Old 23-09-2014, 18:09   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
I live in that area. It is named Mooball that is correct. However, the locals may refer to it as Mooba because Murwillumbah locals call that Murbah. I have heard the latter and call it that myself, but I have never actually heard Mooba and it is so similar they may have been some confusion as to which they were referring to.

The signs at the end of the village of Mooball, say "Hooroo from the Moomoo". Information that I give freely so that your life is complete.

Coops.
Thanks Coop....

I think......
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2014, 18:11   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

My favourite village name within 100klms is Wonglepong. Imagine being a Wongleponger.

Coops.