Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2019, 16:21   #1

Boat: GEMINI Legacy 35x loa37' x 14'
Remove saloon bench in Gemini 35 ?

I know. Some will say I'm crazy.

But...

I am considering a new or late model Gemini 35 Legacy (or 105mc).

It would be sailed mostly with crew of two or single handed.

I am wondering if I one could Remove the Starboard Side bench in the saloon.

For two (or even four) people, it seems that would make the saloon more open and usable while still leaving plenty of seating. It would also "open up" the galley area.

Does anyone know --- Is the bench and seatback removable?. Or would that run into the structural fiberglass?

Thanks ! !
Curtwpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2019, 16:34   #2

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: Remove saloon bench in Gemini 35 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtwpk View Post
I know. Some will say I'm crazy.

But...

I am considering a new or late model Gemini 35 Legacy (or 105mc).

It would be sailed mostly with crew of two or single handed.

I am wondering if I one could Remove the Starboard Side bench in the saloon.

For two (or even four) people, it seems that would make the saloon more open and usable while still leaving plenty of seating. It would also "open up" the galley area.

Does anyone know --- Is the bench and seatback removable?. Or would that run into the structural fiberglass?

Thanks ! !

If understanding the location you're talking about, it's a matter of safety. You don't want to open up the salon to the galley down that way. You could be thrown down into a hull in rough weather.

However, there shouldn't be any structural issues.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 03:19   #3
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

The bridgedeck of the Gemini’s are low and take a pounding. Not sure if the starboard side of the settee is meant as a structural component but I would really check it out before breaking out the tools of destruction.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 06:02   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

At the minimum, consider owning the boat and taking it out in some rough water before deciding whether it really is a good idea to remove the bench. At this point, you are working with a mental picture of the change, AKA a "fantasy." That's not all that good a basis for making a decision. Reality often intrudes on our dreams.

And, if you do it, don't destroy but remove, so you can replace the bench when you find that your forestay keeps going slack when you hit a wave......
Old 01-01-2020, 07:59   #5

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

After looking at the seat backs on my 105Mc, it looks like you could remove them. However, I really think the benefit from doing so would be very minimal, if at all.

Any person in the galley can converse and see anyone else in the main salon.
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 09:06   #6

According to Tony Smith the main structural member of a Gemini is the inverted U of the inner hull and bridgedeck. It bears most of the loads.

"Gemini is a narrow catamaran and can be considered as an upside down channel with the flat of the chan-nel being the bridgedeck and the inside hulls being the walls of the channel. The rest of the outer hulls just keep the water out. The narrow catamaran with full cabin is like a box and easily resists the twisting forces. As the mast pushes down on the center of the chan-nel, the headstay and backstay pull up the ends. A channel subjected to high loads can only bend if the sidewalls deflect out. With Gemini the only signs of deflection are the side hulls moving up perhaps ¼". This movement is impossible to eliminate and is defi-nitely a result of headstay and backstay loads and not side shroud loads. The side shrouds are all con-nected to the bridgedeck and not the outer hulls. With the centerboard down this movement is only on the windward hull because the side push of the cen-terboard counteracts the outward movement of the channel side. The windward hull when lifted out of the water should be assumed to bend down, not up. This is further proof that the upward movement of the outer hull is induced by the backstay and head-stay loads."

Doing any surgery on the strcture which strengthen the "channel" like the saloon benched, would probably not be a good idea

Mark

2000 Gemini 105MC
Deuce of Hearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 06:05   #7

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

The single bar or bolt in the middle of the seat back, Holds the mast up,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, gemini, saloon