Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2015, 18:36   #16

Re: Relacing an Outremer 40/43

I would want an extra crewman on any passage, I could get injured

Also I would want an damm good easy reefing system on any sized boat.

I would think any 40' cat would be a handful when things go sideways,

I would rather it happen on the bigger 55' boat with an easy reefing system. also the bigger boat has more room for the extra crewman and more comfort when you get there.

just my thoughts
C-man77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 22:23   #17

I would have a good hard look at this system for Any boat

Old 11-10-2015, 11:55   #18

Boat: Harbor 20, Seawind 1370 (2024)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomahawk View Post
We want the same speed but a bit more space and easier living. Looking around, it seems most cats have become floating caravans with an emphasis on space rather than sailing boats. We don't want to go to a really big thing.
It all comes to your definition of easier living and space (& acceptable performance). While the following boats are "shorter", they have more living space and with modern construction are lighter and well performing boats.
  • Dazcat
  • TS42
  • Shuttleworth Tek 37 (new design you could customize)
  • TRT 1200 (older open bridgedeck that you could enclose)
  • Maine Cat 38 (customizable bridgedeck)

The other option would be to find something you like and turbo charge - Adding 3' to the front and back of an older boat will improve your D/WL as well as shrink your hull beam/length + adding a bigger rig will bring down the SA/D. Probably cheaper in the end than a 45'+ speedster. Could do that to maybe a Mahe 36, Maine Cat 41, etc....depends on what you like in terms of cockpit and hull layout at that point.
Mark424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 18:12   #19
cruiser

Boat: OPBs

What about the Arrow 1200? Arrow 1200 | Performance Cruising Catamaran

It's a relatively new Schionning design
tp12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 01:28   #20

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark424 View Post
It all comes to your definition of easier living and space (& acceptable performance). While the following boats are "shorter", they have more living space and with modern construction are lighter and well performing boats.
  • Dazcat
  • TS42
  • Shuttleworth Tek 37 (new design you could customize)
  • TRT 1200 (older open bridgedeck that you could enclose)
  • Maine Cat 38 (customizable bridgedeck)

The other option would be to find something you like and turbo charge - Adding 3' to the front and back of an older boat will improve your D/WL as well as shrink your hull beam/length + adding a bigger rig will bring down the SA/D. Probably cheaper in the end than a 45'+ speedster. Could do that to maybe a Mahe 36, Maine Cat 41, etc....depends on what you like in terms of cockpit and hull layout at that point.
These are all good ideas, & the turbocharging thing is quite common. Even in terms of adding length to boats which are already built, & out there cruising. From 30' Wood's designs, to a couple that added 5', & twin 25hp OB's to their 35' Shuttleworth.

I was hesitant to get into naming name before, but Schionning has some great kits, which come in Conex boxes. And, I believe, in various stages of construction as well.
Also, this concept is by no means unique to his (excellent) designs.
Plus again, such options, lets you chose where to have the boat finished, thus aiding with her final cost.

One other designer, who'll do anything from modifying one of his current designs, to starting from a blank slate, is Kurt Hughes. And he really places an emphasis on the boats being very light, & high performance. IE; true to multihulls original roots.

Which brings up a key point, & that is, when comparing designs, it's Really worth looking at what they truly weigh, & their other performance numbers. As so many modern "multihulls" have gone truly gone Supersized. Commonly weighing in @ 1 1/2 - 2x that of their keeled cousins of the same length. And abysmal trend IMO.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2015, 19:25   #21
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Tom, when you say you want the same speeds, what are they exactly? Passage times, day sail beam reaches, inter Caribbean island hops etc? Light or heavy wind? What sort of sailing do you do and what kind of speeds are you accustomed to now?
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2015, 23:06   #22

Boat: Aloha 34

What about a Nautitech Open 40. Seems to tick many of the boxes you are concerned about?
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2015, 13:26   #23

Boat: Harbor 20, Seawind 1370 (2024)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
What about a Nautitech Open 40. Seems to tick many of the boxes you are concerned about?
I like the direction of the Open 40, but a bit heavy.

Take the following with a grain of salt, it's hard to tell from the specs actual weight vs lightship vs design water line (full loaded), etc. and what their definition is. No guarantees on the numbers - some places I had to guestimate, do your own math.

SA/D = Upwind SA in sq ft /((weight in lbs/64)^(2/3))
D/WL= ((weight in lbs /2240)/(LWL in feet /100)^3)

A random selection of performance cats.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Perf Cat Metrics.png
Views:	261
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	111532

Of course these numbers are only first order effects. It isn't the whole story on performance, you have waterline beam ratio which is rarely spec'ed, etc. This is also upwind sail area, so off the wind is another story. But you get an idea of why the B53 is a rocket, the Gunboat 55, Outremer 40, and TRT are known to be high performing, and boats like the Atlantic 42, good, but not super high spec'd. (of course it's very old compared to the others and thus heavy). the B53 and Gunboat went for carbon. Maine Cat is a minimalist design and is using a thermo formed core which they claim cuts down on enormous amount of excess resin and filler between parts of the core.
Mark424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 00:48   #24

sounds like any 40 odd foot cat with more cabin space will be a step down in performance from the O-40/43

but If you find one I would really like to know what it is.

just wondering, Is there any modification that could be done on the existing Outreamer?

like a big hard top with roll up blinds?

C-man

Tags
outremer