Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-11-2021, 04:12   #16

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40
Re: reefing the main sail at a catamaran

Downwind I use 10m round sail or Parasailor till 15kn Apperant, then switch to 8m round sail which is ok till 40kn…one line to control it no reefing needed.
From 40kn on only Genua with a Block on the middle cleat and reefed as needed, no main.

Hard on the wind as Rapanui explained, go into wind with autopilot or 2nd person on the helm, me upfront at the mast putting in the reefs. I generally sail conservative when close or reach as 1 have 100sqm sail area at 6.5t weight, so reef early and no problem.
1 line reef system adds a lot friction and hard to operate and not necessary on a cat as you are much safer at the mast compared to mono.

With your fully battened main you have quite big distance between the battens. So your reefing eye can be 30cm from the mast if your unlucky and very is hard to pull closer to get reef line in and lock it when 30kn wind going into the sail. I added a slider at the mast track for each reef and lashed the reefing eye (all 3 reefs) to it with a 2mm dyneema line. Like this I catch 2 bunnies at the same time, 1st my reef eye is always close to the mast and to tie it down super easy now, just put line through, lock it and whinch it tight. 2nd I get the sail better shaped and tight down when hard on the wind which results i can go till real 40 degress instead 45. for a cat without daggerboards that is very good…the 5 degrees doesn’t sound much but the occasions I need to motorsail when hard on the wind as possible to stabilize sails and add the 0.5-1kn greatly reduced since I did that mod.
CaptainRivet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2021, 04:10   #17

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

We sheet the jib in tight then bring the boat into the wind until the jib is drawing nicely then set the AP. By then the main is luffing and is easily reefed. If it is night or there are squalls about we will just drop it. I´d rather sacrifice a couple of knots of boat speed than get out of my bunk to reef again.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2021, 09:55   #18

Boat: Amel 41
Send a message via Yahoo to lo2jones

As a delivery skipper, you find some funny things happening on deck after coming off watch, in spite of the laundry list posted on the bulkhead near the exit. I’ve reefed in 40+ Kts of wind, on a broad reach by easing the halyard a few inches and taking up on the reef lines either in a lull or when the boat accelerates on a wave, then repeating the process until the deed is done.
lo2jones is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran, sail