Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2016, 15:43   #16

Re: Rapier 550 helm station

Quote:
Originally Posted by admiralslater View Post
I would think that fly by wire would be the most simple then it could just send a signal to what ever motor, pump or ram that moves the rudders. hydraulic should be doable as well. I would be willing to bet that there was not much on the other side of that wheel in the video
Is that what they use on motor boats? Here's what I've found - simple cable design:

And this:
Exemples de montage - Lecomble & Schmitt

So everything is doable and even relatively affordable (considering everything will be DIY)
ranchero76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 16:06   #17

Imagine this on catamaran!
Old 22-11-2016, 20:32   #18

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

Just needs an Xbox on the dash. Think of all the money you will save on weather gear">foul weather gear and sunscreen!

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 21:05   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleemus View Post
Just needs an Xbox on the dash. Think of all the money you will save on foul weather gear and sunscreen!
Well, adventure not necessary means complete ascetism. There are "true sailors" out here, happy with absolute minimum of everything onboard, and there are people, who traveling in style - on huge luxury motor yachts etc. But it doesn't mean there's nothing in between. It's 21st century out there, technology is all around us. Some of it can be used to make adventure more enjoyable (a specially, if one not afraid of technology and knows how to use it, including maintenance and repair).

BTW, adventure for me - it's not about fighting with mother nature in the middle of the ocean with minimum tools and protection. Mother nature always will win this in long run.
Adventure for me - seeing new places, exploring life at sea, enjoying many water sports... While still have little house with me, still have comfort of hot shower, cold place in hot weather and warm place in cold weather, helm station with comfortable seat and controls etc, etc.
Old 25-11-2016, 02:14   #20

Here's good example why enclosed helm station is good. S/V Delos sails through some nasty seas, wind up to 50 knots. Amel has partially enclosed helm station (enclosed front and partially sides), still, not very pleasant experience, as it looks. Autopilot is broken, so boat needs to be steered full time for many hours. No way someone will go outside in such weather. Now imagine all of this with open helm station.

Tags
helm