Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2019, 13:28   #16

Re: Raising Main Sail problem

I spray my track with silicone. Easy up and down. No binding.
cc1842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2019, 13:39   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Alerion Express 38 Yawl (former)

You've received some really good advice. I think you have to systematically figure this out. I like the idea of hoisting a weight (maybe 50# on the halyard to see if the friction/wrapping ideas are valid. Or attach the bitter end of the halyard to the shackle so you can control resistance from the deck. See if there is some load at which the halyard tension becomes higher. Is it based on height off deck, or is it based on initial load or what?

You may also see if you can raise the main using a different halyard (or possibly the topping lift) to see if it's a sail issue or a line issue. If you have similar loads on a different halyards, then it is probably a sail slide friction issue.

Chuck
Chuck Hawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2019, 13:42   #18

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRIS V CLEMENT View Post
Is your halyard a 1:1 purchase or a 2:1 purchase ?
Most cats over 30' are using 2:1.
I agree that checking for twisted halyards or stuck sheaves is critical.
Going to a 2:1 purchase may be a good next step...
I can’t see the point in a 2:1 purchase on a halyard, and it could be very damaging if you add it to overcome some other problem. Check the leads and the battcars — my 60’ mainsail goes up quickly with one hand and drops quickly and completely when I let the halyard go free. Check everything until you can get this to happen in a flat calm, rather than trying to overcome a problem with additional force.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2019, 14:48   #19

Boat: Block Island 40
Thumbs up Re: Raising Main Sail problem

I agree with others on this post about twisted halyards. I think the same as what happened to me is what's going on with you. Our spinnaker halyard was parted with nothing attached during Hurricane Sandy. The mast was unstopped for transport along with the boat for related repairs. While the mast was down the yard replaced the halyard. In hindsight, the original main sail become difficult to raise and lower since the boat returned. One fateful day last October I happened to have the main halyard in one hand and the spinnaker h. in the other. I pulled on the main h. and the spin. h. went up and vice versa!? I dawned on me what the problem has been for a while. The replacement h. went in with the mast down and probably wrapped around the spin. h. Sooo, I had to remove the main h. (since the spin. h. was essentially new). After several trips up the stick we finally have a new main h. and it runs like greased lightning, even w/o SailKote!
Follow one of the posts above and see if you can confirm a wrap, much the same manner as I.
Good Luck
paulie4203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2019, 19:49   #20

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by delcrest View Post
Hi all, some advice / recommendations please. Just purchased a new mast and Ullman sails for my 36’ cat. Raising the main sail is difficult, I can raise it by hand to about the same height as the radar, after that its winch power only and very difficult the last 30% even with the 42 self tailing winch
Lowering the sail is not that easy and has to be pulled down nearly all the way, and would not be easy if the wind was blowing more than 7knts and bow into the wind
Currently Bainbridge sail slides with 5 batterns, was supplied with the new sail / mast
I am thinking of changing the slides to the Rutgerson battcar system, any advice / recommendations greatly appreciated .. Thanks in advance
Tie the end of your halyard to the shackle you use to raise the main with.
If it goes to the top with ease its not the halyard, it's the sail or track/slides.

Possibly those slides are not quite the right ones? I'm assuming they are new ish.
Flat slides usually go up well, but the bullet type can be tricky to match.
SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2019, 23:36   #21

Boat: WALLER MKII CAT 11M

Thanks again for all the suggestions, yes all is new, mast sails rigging etc, sail has only been raised 3 times, sail maker says change the slides to harken type cars
Soon as the wind stops blowing so hard I am going to go and have another look
delcrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2019, 00:49   #22

Boat: 73´ULDB custom ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by delcrest View Post
sail maker says change the slides to harken type cars
He is probably right. Rutgersson is a cheaper/easier alternative. Harken needs an external track and the battcars are terribly expensive.
MartinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2019, 10:11   #23

Hi all. anyone using the Rutgerson cars, if so do they work well? would really appreciate some first hand comments
Old 01-05-2019, 07:09   #24

Hi all thank you for all your suggestions and recommendations, just a report back.
I decided to fit 7 new batten cars using the Swedish made Rutgerson batt cars, would have loved to have fitted the Harken or Antal system but at 20% of the price and the new cars fitting into the existing “slider slot “ and doing nothing else but dropping the sail installing the Rutgerson 1530 -23-xx cars to sail. To be honest I could not have afforded to purchase the torlin bearing system anyway
From really battling to raise the sail using a 42 lemar winch and two hands, it now raises easily using one hand, the sail now also drops like a ton of bricks, there is a MASSIVE improvement

Tags
ais, sail