Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2011, 01:14   #1

Boat: Hirondelle 30ft Catamaran
Prout Snowgoose 37

Hi there,
We are a family of 6 and have set our minds on buying a Snowgoose 37 for living aboard and longterm cruising. There is a resonably priced 1 in the Cayman Islands, Georgetown. The boat was 1st owned by a family and was later owned by a diving company. We would like to hear your thoughts about the snowgoose 37. Also if anyone here knows of a certified trustworthy surveyor in the Cayman Islands. Cheers
Densha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 03:47   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
Re: Prout snowgoose 37

I once watched a Prout "T-Bone" a big Hatteras in the old Jack Tar Marina on West End, Grand Bahama.... The Prout popped out, the Hat sunk. Other than that, I know nothing about them, but you have found the site that will have your answer from someone else.

Welcome to CF!
Old 09-03-2011, 14:26   #3

Boat: Prout Snowgoose Elite
Thumbs up Re: Prout snowgoose 37

Cant say to much as limited experiance but.
1 we bought a snowgoose and i sailed it round landsend in F6 December UK.
It was much easyer than mono was in same conditions.
the 37 comes as standard and elete which has more room
the 35 is very close to the 37 almost the same interior

Good luck
limejucer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 16:43   #4

Re: Prout Snowgoose 37

Big warning: I am not an expert and haven't seen this boat for real.

That said, I would advice against buying this boat.

The main problem: It is equipped for day sailing, not for cruising.
So add to the asking price the cost for: Dinghy + davits, electrical system upgrade, solar panels / inverter / charger, auto pilot, indoor shower.
And I think the kitchen and interior woodwork will need a lot of work.

Then there is a second problem, for a 37 feet it has a very small living space. Maybe I am spoiled, but I considered it too small for a solo + occasional guests. So I cannot imagine it will be livable for a family of 6.

Comparing pictures and layout plans, I suspect even a 33 feet gemini or prout 33cs will be roomier. And price compared, those boats are 10 years newer and much better equipped.
Androehw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 16:48   #5

Boat: Fuji 45'
Send a message via Yahoo to DiverChick71 Send a message via Skype™ to DiverChick71

My boyfriend and I are boat shopping and looked at a Snowgoose...really liked it. We're settling on a monohull as we feel it best suits are needs, but continue to talk about getting one for our next "retirement" boat...for island hopping in the Caribbean. I found the interior quite roomy, the one we saw had been changed so the master cabin was forward, where the dinette traditionally sits. The linear galley would be great for preparing meals at port and anchored, not so sure how well it would work at sea though, the galley was really long, no place to tuck yourself in. Loved the big decks, especially for our family (I have three children) The Prout's seem to have a fairly seaworthy reputation for a multi, the one we looked at had sailed across the Atlantic from the Med before she went up for sale in S. Florida. Good luck and keep us posted!
DiverChick71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 02:02   #6

Boat: Hirondelle 30ft Catamaran
Smile Re: Prout Snowgoose 37

Thank you for your thoughts and info...
Densha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 02:49   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Prout Snowgoose 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverChick71 View Post
My boyfriend and I are boat shopping and looked at a Snowgoose...really liked it. We're settling on a monohull as we feel it best suits are needs, but continue to talk about getting one for our next "retirement" boat...for island hopping in the Caribbean. I found the interior quite roomy, the one we saw had been changed so the master cabin was forward, where the dinette traditionally sits. The linear galley would be great for preparing meals at port and anchored, not so sure how well it would work at sea though, the galley was really long, no place to tuck yourself in. Loved the big decks, especially for our family (I have three children) The Prout's seem to have a fairly seaworthy reputation for a multi, the one we looked at had sailed across the Atlantic from the Med before she went up for sale in S. Florida. Good luck and keep us posted!
Diver.... any Cat can go Med - Carib before the wind... they're good tough boats OK.. but for what you need the 105 will give you more space etc and will cost less more likely...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 04:04   #8

Boat: Prout 37

Densha,
Don't read replies from people who make comments and then admit they have never seen a Prout 37. My wife and I have had our's for 12 years, done a lot of miles, been through some nasty storms, didn't even spill our drinks. great boat, fell free to PM me, tell me all the specs. and what engine , I may be able to throw some advise your way. Good luck, Moggie
moggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 04:27   #9

Boat: 1994 Prout Manta Catamaran

While cruising we have met quite a few Snowgoose folks and have heard absolutely no complaints. We have a slightly larger Prout (Manta model, 38 ft., made in South Africa) - a terrific boat for us and our cruising needs, and like Moogie, we have been through some tough situations in ours and came out better than other boats in the same environment.

I would investigate why a diving company is the present owner. Is this a salvage boat, or are they using it for hard duty in their business?

A Snowgoose might be small for a family of 6, but it could work. We have met a family with 5 kids on a 34 ft. monohull, and a family with 3 on a 32 ft. catamaran.

Prouts are tough boats and I am pleased to own one.

Entlie
Sailing Catamaran Sunspot Baby
Entlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 05:29   #10

Boat: Fuji 45'
Send a message via Yahoo to DiverChick71 Send a message via Skype™ to DiverChick71
Thanks for input, Boatman, but we've settled on a monohull. I was just giving the OP what little input I had from the Snowgoose we saw when we were knocking around marina's here in S. Florida awhile back.

Now if you want to throw out any advice o monohulls, lemme know! I always love reading your posts. However, it would not be nice to hijack the thread. :-)

One more thing tho...for the OP... The 37' Snowgoose had loads of room! Really almost any boat is going to be "cozy" when you put a family on it...I think it's part of the lifestyle. If you want space...you don't think about cruising with a family! So don't let the naysayers bring you down. I was talking to my aunt about sailing...waste of time, incidentally. She had just launched her kids and had decided to "downsize". She went from 4600 sf home to 3800 sf. For two people! It's just all one's perspective. My land house is 2200 sf, there are 5 of us, and we use 3 rooms. I backpacked with my kids thru Central America...some of our best memories were of our stays in small spaces. 37' feet of cat plus that gorgeous deck for diving and snorkeling will be splendid.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:05   #11

Boat: Prout Snowgoose Elite

Androehw has confused me.
the 33cs's we saw were comfortable but you had to move about stooped and crawl into bed. not the snowgoose37
if you search the forums here you will find coments like

If I had one given to me I would sail that tug until radioactive decay of fiberglass totally disintegrated the boat

we have chosen a 37' Prout catamaran, which is sturdy and narrow-for-a-cat, but which heels less and has more living space than a monohull.

Prouts have probably done more cicumnavigations than any other cat.

the Prout designs have proven themselves time and again as tough, reliable cruisers, though their performance is somewhat more limited.

For cruising a decent Prout is as close perfect as you can get on a limited budget.
My bro had a Snowgoose from new. Sailed the Seychelles, down to Mauritius, raced to Durban in their annual 'Fastnet' race. Second in waterline length class, only because the prevailing wind was supposed to veer a little. It didn't. Close hauled ALL the way and beat most of the field.

None of this is daysailor stuff and unless your family all need private onsuite cabins should have enought room.
we chose ours so we had a cabin. our guests had a cabin. and still a cabin left for kiddies without using the salon.
limejucer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 10:07   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by limejucer View Post
Androehw has confused me.
the 33cs's we saw were comfortable but you had to move about stooped and crawl into bed. not the snowgoose37
Sorry about confusing you. I realize now that the OP didn't paste a link about the boat he's talking about.

A 37 Prout may be larger than a 37 mono, but is smaller compared to the later elite model, and tiny compared to a 38 Prout manta.

Ofcourse you can live with 6 on a 37, but when I imagine myself living long term on a boat with 5 others, I see myself needing some personal space once in a while. Or having some choice where to sit (or hang) in the cockpit, instead of having a fixed spot where I only can sit straight up. It wouldn't feel like cruising, but more like traveling.

But the size of the boat was only secondary, my reaction was based on the particular boat the OP asked about. I saw it listed half a year ago, for 65k, and was reduced in price to 42k last month.

It sounds like a good deal, and I considered buying it myself. Till I studied the pictures, reread the description a couple of times, and compared it to other boats. Then I decided it wouldn't be such a good deal.

If you aren't handy, and dependent on others for repairs, it could be more expensive than a better maintained boat.

If you are handy, and have some patience, I think you can find 35-40 feet multi hull better fitted for 6 for a reasonable price.

For example there is a 60k Edel 35 on the market. If the plan is to sail in tropical area's only, this could be a better option.
Or for 50k a 38 feet 1989 Kellsall, completely cruise equipped.
Old 12-03-2011, 17:45   #13

Boat: Prout 37

Androehw,
Why don't you stop posting!
How can you state that a 35-40 mono is bigger than a 37Cat?
moggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2011, 03:02   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by moggie View Post
Androehw,
Why don't you stop posting!
How can you state that a 35-40 mono is bigger than a 37Cat?
Where do you see me say that then?
Old 06-05-2011, 18:44   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 365 Dean Catamaran

Wow Prout boys and girls! Tell em mono's down, they aint seen nothin yet!
niel12 is offline   Reply With Quote