Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2011, 20:54   #1

Boat: Amel Maramu
Prout 39 Bluewater Cat ?

We're looking at purchasing a Bluewater, cruising cat with a limited budget.

The Prout 39 Escale has come to our attention, however we're a little concerned with the lack of bridgedeck clearance, solid foredeck ( as opposed to trampolines) and the narrow hulls , as to it's suitability.

Any feed back much appreciated
allezaubon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 05:31   #2
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Re: Prout 39 Bluewater Cat ?

Allezaubon, I have never sailed one but I think a couple of areas of concern that you have expressed are appropriate - the bridgedeck clearance is extremely limited and the solid foredeck will add weight forward, which can lead to hobby horsing (there is also some concerns that it could increase the risk of pitchpoling and that, if one of the hulls ever lifted in a microburst etc., it would increase the underbody windage and therewith the risk of capsize). The hull beam per se should not be an issue - it is the narrowness of the transoms which leads to less bouyancy aft and again, an increased tendancy to hobbyhorse.

Having said all of that, they had a reputation for being very well built, a number have been cruised extensively and the cutter rig has some huge advantages for offshore sailing.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 04:04   #3

Boat: Prout Snowgoose Elite

The smaller prouts have a reputation for curcumnavigation and they were one of the best blue water cats.

The low bridge deck is balanced by narrow beam and Nacell. there is less volume of water entering tunnel and the nacell breaks the impact reducing the shock aspect of impact.

if you search for prout references they are tough seaworthy and comparitively slow.

So either fly buy a gunboat or relax and cruise
limejucer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 04:12   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Prout 39 Bluewater Cat ?

Tough old boats... go anywhere downwind...
Go anywhere upwind... on nice days... know some folks lived happily on one for ages...
Mom, Dad, Daughter, 2 dogs, 1 cat and a parrot...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 04:51   #5

Boat: Privilege 37

The Escale has a very different nacelle to that in the Snowgoose. It is much closer to that used in the initial BroadBlue design.

The snogoose design places the nacelle in the water if the boat is a little overloaded, with the resultant big impact on performance. The snowgoose also is narrow enough to fit into the french canals.

The escale is more like a modern catamaran, with much wider beam, and if the nacelle is underwater, the boat is sinking! Thus it has a much better bridgedeck clearance. Some of the escales are known to have recorded better than 200nm day runs.

It is a very good blue water boat, whose major drawback is a somewhat old fashioned interior
Old 09-12-2011, 12:08   #6

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
I googled prout escale and found several owners who reported issue with the boats, structural problems that required intensive repair. Two of them purchased the prout because they were prior prout owners and very upset with this particular boat. I d be more concerned about that then beam or the central nacelle. Looks like a good layout though
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 12:56   #7

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
I googled prout escale and found several owners who reported issue with the boats, structural problems that required intensive repair. Two of them purchased the prout because they were prior prout owners and very upset with this particular boat. I d be more concerned about that then beam or the central nacelle. Looks like a good layout though
That was what I found also. Got to say I have never seen one only talking from web experience so accept it for that.

Cheers
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 04:16   #8

Boat: Prout 37

Allezaubon,
Don't you love those who give advice, who have never seen one, never sailed one, don't even know what you are talking about!!!
Good boats! Had ours for 12years!
Fitted a roll bar(as in rally cars) has not been needed.
Different boats for different folks.
moggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 05:12   #9

On the 200Nm run perDay
My overloaded snowgoose did 100Nm in 10 hours,
Best single Hour over 17Nm over ground. next day
( the Tide in bristol Channel is scary)
Old 10-12-2011, 15:03   #10

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Good to here from some Prout people with real experience. I am sure any info would be usefull to the OP.

Without that one can only try to sort through the cloud.

Cheers
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 13:48   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by moggie View Post
Allezaubon,
Don't you love those who give advice, who have never seen one, never sailed one, don't even know what you are talking about!!!
Good boats! Had ours for 12years!
Fitted a roll bar(as in rally cars) has not been needed.
Different boats for different folks.
Whats wrong with stating what the majority of posts on the web state from owners who own them?

Since you owned one for 12 years is "Good Boats" the best answer or advice you can give the op???
Old 12-12-2011, 05:10   #12
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

Nothing wrong with non-owners expressing opinions so long as they make it clear that their opinions are not based upon ownership, or hands-on experience. Indeed, it can balance the natural tendancy of owners to to be overcomplimentary of thier own boats.

Just so that I have it clear, are some suggesting that: 1. the bridgedeck clearance is not low (or alternatively, that lower bridgedeck clearance is a good thing)? 2. that bridgedeck clearance is irrelevant if you have a nacelle? 3. that a solid foredeck and relatively narrow hulls aft will not contribute to hobbyhorsing?

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 05:28   #13

My own experience is the central nacelle will "thump" more often and be slightly noisier than a boat with high bridge deck clearance, but less violently. I imagine if the nacelle were submerged at all performance would "maybe" suffer a little bit. I have been on some large cats that when their tall flat bridge deck hit water you thought something exploded somewhere.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:49   #14

Boat: Privilege 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
Just so that I have it clear, are some suggesting that: 1. the bridgedeck clearance is not low (or alternatively, that lower bridgedeck clearance is a good thing)? 2. that bridgedeck clearance is irrelevant if you have a nacelle? 3. that a solid foredeck and relatively narrow hulls aft will not contribute to hobbyhorsing?
Bridgedeck clearance is of course relevant, but is not the only factor. Beam and shape are also major factors.

However, most Prout responses are based on Snowgoose knowledge - a good boat, but with a central nacelle that kisses the waterline, and if overloaded, actually causes significant drag. A snowgoose also has fairly low bridgedeck cleance as well, but is narrow beam compared to modern catamaran designs.

The Escale is a much wider cat and has a better bridgedeck clearance. It also does not have a nacelle that drops down to the waterline, but rather a bulge under the bridgedeck that is well clear of the waterline, but helps to strengthen and to reduce pounding.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:25   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
Nothing wrong with non-owners expressing opinions so long as they make it clear that their opinions are not based upon ownership, or hands-on experience. Indeed, it can balance the natural tendancy of owners to to be overcomplimentary of thier own boats.

Brad
Yes the bridge deck clearance is Low It is not a good thing. But the Nacell and narrow tunnels reduce the violence/impact of slamming in my experiance. higher wetted area = slower
However reduced windage is the pay off for a Nacell.
Solid foredeck = strong ridgid body.
Hobby horsing you got me banged to rights Guv.(UK expression means Yes)
Overall slower than modern Multyhull but solid and tank like.
My wife likes the security and stability

OK Brad
Dave