Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2015, 05:07   #16

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Prop Problem Lagoon 380

That prop number is for a Volvo prop. There should be no reason it doesn't fit.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2015, 05:14   #17

Boat: Catana 471

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickwest View Post
I just found a propeller supplier online and found the part number for my prop 21351240 it is a 16 in 13 pitch LH
I am waiting on the specs to be sure my spline is the same.
It is quite a search 2 blade fixed props are not common everybody wants to sell folding props etc.
Sounds like progress, Rick. 16X13 seems like an appropriate size.

Quote:
I am still confused as to why my spare would not fit...some things on a boat can never be explained it is the way it is.
I assume you're not the first owner and you inherited a bunch of stuff? Me too. After taking ownership of my boat I went through all the "spares" and discovered a spare shaft and body for an engine raw water cooling pump. Very cool. These things aren't cheap (from Volvo). When it came time to rebuild a water pump">raw water pump I bought individually all the other parts - bearings, seals, etc. It was only after disassembling the pump that I discovered my "spare" shaft was for a pump on a different engine....

Dave
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2015, 07:18   #18

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Maybe its time to think how the prop is mounted.
I read a memo of the tech guys of some big charter company. They complained about the hex nut on te prop going loose and props being lost on both yanmar and volvos.
They suggested installing yanmar kit 796420-09200 which converts from the hex nut to a locking stud and solved this.
The yanmar kit fits both yanmar and volvo saildrives.

They also included instructions how to make this kit yourself with off the shelf hardware. Which is what i did this spring after i found the prop loose but not yet lost.

I know i have the link somewhere but can't find it.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2015, 07:44   #19

Location: Eastern Caribbean for the 2020 season then east coast or Panama
Boat: Lagoon 470 cat

Rabbi - do you have a copy or other info on how to build the fix? not sure if that is what I have on one side but would be interested in more info since props falling off is a not uncommon trait of saildrives (know of probably 20 instances).

Thanks,
Bill
Moontide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2015, 09:01   #20

Found it: instructions

Cost to convert was maybe 20 euro for both SDs. Just be sure to get marine grade stainless parts!
Old 30-10-2015, 11:44   #21

Not a Lagoon but Yanmar sail drives. My friends boat has an "identical" Yanmar sail drive to the Yanmar saildrive in my boat. My spare propellor wouldn't fit on his saildrive. There was a slight change in the pitch of the splines in slightly later models. They look identical. We took the propellor to BriSki Propellors in Auckland New Zealand. They knew about the difference in slightly different years. They had a die which they drew through the splines for not much money and correctly fixed the problem while we waited. Might be worth a phone call to BriSki. They are a very reputable prop shop less than 3 hours flight from Fiji. If I were stuck as you are, I would phone them for advice firstly and probably get on a plane with my prop and take it to them. Then a return flight the same day.

BriSki moved around a year ago from near Howick Auckland to a more rural location south of Auckland about 40 minutes driving time from AKL airport.
Give them a call at least.
GrahamHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2015, 12:04   #22

Rick, if you decide to contact Bri-Ski (they have a web site) you might firstly see if the prop for the other side fits both sides. Then you have a comparison. Bri-Ski are likely closed today, Saturday, so you might need to wait until Monday.
I'm sure they will be able to help you.
Old 30-10-2015, 12:38   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
The Volvo and Yanmar drives have the same shaft size and spline. I don't know about other saildrives, but Yanmar and Volvo must account for >90% of them. It is odd that you have a spare prop that won't fit. Are you sure it isn't an outboard prop? Did you check to make sure the splines weren't just damaged a bit on the prop and could fit if they were cleaned up?

Mark
They are the same but there was a small change in the pitch of the splines made for some strange reason. I've experienced that and had a prop shop make a correction
Old 30-10-2015, 12:51   #24

Location: Eastern Caribbean for the 2020 season then east coast or Panama
Boat: Lagoon 470 cat

Thanks for the link Rabbi
Moontide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2015, 23:41   #25

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2 owners version #331

Today I moved to Denerau Marina where they have a Volvo Penta dealer on site I ordered a new prop from NZ will be here Tuesday so my prop problem seems to be over for now.
Near where my boat is moored a catamaran hauled out on the sand bar to change his saildrive seals I went over to his boat with my spare prop to see if it will fit his shaft, my spare slide right on, he also has 16 13 LH props.

I now realize rather late that my prop shaft must have been damaged when my prop spun off the shaft. I was in such a rush with the tide coming up and over my shaft that I did not have the time to really look at the shaft for damage before it went under water I just assumed it was an incorrect prop.
I will dive my prop shaft and look for damage and use a small file to check it.
I need to remove both prop cones and install a nut and pin mentioned
or I will just keep losing props.
I will use 5200 when installing the prop, cone and bolt this time, thanks to the advise on this forum.
Thanks to you all great information and good advise it is always better to have more heads involved when a problem arises.
Now I guess we will be sailing to Vanuatu and on to Solomon Islands to get out of the Cyclone area by Nov 15th or so
Rick on s/v SeaKey
Rick
rickwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2015, 00:18   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
Found it: instructions

Cost to convert was maybe 20 euro for both SDs. Just be sure to get marine grade stainless parts!
Just in case this site goes offline or the page is moved here is a PDF with the instructions
Attached Files
File Type: pdf props.pdf (219.9 KB, 288 views)
Old 31-10-2015, 07:24   #27

Boat: Catana 471

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickwest View Post
I now realize rather late that my prop shaft must have been damaged when my prop spun off the shaft. I was in such a rush with the tide coming up and over my shaft that I did not have the time to really look at the shaft for damage before it went under water I just assumed it was an incorrect prop.
Duh - in hindsight that makes perfect. Sorry I didn't think of that. Good luck, Rick.

Dave
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon, lagoon 380