Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2020, 06:23   #1

Privilege 435, 465

Hi everyone.
Anybody can give me some info about Ptivilrge 435? 465 is a second option. It seems as the general consensus is that they are very good well built boats. I see they have longer keels, how do they sail? How is thd bridge clearance? Anything else I should know, be aware of?
Intended for a family of 4 with teenagers. Is it better to look for 465? Trying to find the right balance between comfort/space and maintenance expenses.
Thank you.

alsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 07:53   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Privilege 435, 465

Cream. VERY good boats and pretty inside.

They sail OK. They are well built.

Very common choice of French people retiring in the Caribbean.

They will be expensivish compared to same age Leopards, FPs, etc.

Pin one you like, get it.

435 is already big enough by my standards but size is a personal thing, view both boats before getting yours.

barnakiel

barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 09:51   #3

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 & 2008 Manta 42 #124

They sail very comfortably and have lots of load carrying capacity. Bridge height clearance is non existent though - I think the mast is right at 65 feet, so no or very little ICW capability. We have spent plenty of nights on a 435 and the quality of the build is very very high. The wood work is amazing. Unlike other french boats, which you may consider high volume, its nearly silent at night and during the day due to the quality of the layup. Sleeping is easy with no hull slap from waves at night to keep you awake.

The bridge deck clearance is high enough to take your dinghy under.

The only issues I have with the design are:

1) the small heads
2) the athwartship forward berths which are difficult to get into and out of due to the height over the bridgedeck.
3) the large bulwarks on the sugar scoops. Its more difficult than necessary to get into and out of a dinghy or over them from a dock.
4) the electrical system is pure french, so lots of standards americans are not used to.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 12:36   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
4) the electrical system is pure french, so lots of standards americans are not used to.

They have an unconventional expensive relay type panel in the saloon behind the mast. I personally know of one owner of a P495 that had to rewire all the circuits involved with conventional hard wiring.

I think there are others (maybe 435/465) on this list that have had similar problems with electrics.

Full electrical inspection / survey maybe!
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 13:09   #5

Thanks. So the bridge clearance is too small...that it worries me. A friend of mine convinced me to look at them, he said they sail better than Leopard, Lagoon etc.
I was also looking at Catana 471.
Old 05-06-2020, 13:11   #6

Outremer 45 2003 vintage looks pretty small inside, don't have anything to look around. But these are on the short list.
Old 05-06-2020, 15:09   #7
smj

Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsail View Post
Thanks. So the bridge clearance is too small...that it worries me. A friend of mine convinced me to look at them, he said they sail better than Leopard, Lagoon etc.

I was also looking at Catana 471.

He said the bridgedeck clearance was good, but the mast height wasn’t short enough for good bridge clearance in the ICW.
smj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 15:33   #8

Oh, my bad, sorry.��
Old 05-06-2020, 23:38   #9

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold

I did the ICW from Norfolk to St Augustine in my 435. I did lose the VHF antenna in the Dismal Swamp but I think that got caught on something hanging down below a bridge. I'd just gone under one bridge of a dual roadway pair and then hit the second one with the antenna which made no sense unless it snagged something. I did go outside around Morehead City but the rest of the ICW was ok as long as you took note of tidal height. No chance of doing the ICW in a 465.

Bridgedeck clearance is probably the best available in a sub 50 ft production cat.

If you are planning on going long distances with 5 or 6 people aboard you might be better off with a 465, particularly the EZCruise version which has the sugarscoops extended to bring the boat to 49 ft. You'll get a bit more storage, bit more fuel and water tankage and a bit more load carrying capacity. Having said that I know someone who circumnavigated a 435 with 6 aboard so it isn't a problem.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 01:34   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannius View Post
I did the ICW from Norfolk to St Augustine in my 435. I did lose the VHF antenna in the Dismal Swamp but I think that got caught on something hanging down below a bridge. I'd just gone under one bridge of a dual roadway pair and then hit the second one with the antenna which made no sense unless it snagged something. I did go outside around Morehead City but the rest of the ICW was ok as long as you took note of tidal height. No chance of doing the ICW in a 465.

Bridgedeck clearance is probably the best available in a sub 50 ft production cat.

If you are planning on going long distances with 5 or 6 people aboard you might be better off with a 465, particularly the EZCruise version which has the sugarscoops extended to bring the boat to 49 ft. You'll get a bit more storage, bit more fuel and water tankage and a bit more load carrying capacity. Having said that I know someone who circumnavigated a 435 with 6 aboard so it isn't a problem.
Thanks. I would have 4 people including myself, full time live aboard. Great to hear about bridgedeck, that is good news. Could you please tell how she sails in light winds, compared to Catana, Fp, Lagoon. One friend told me that the longer keels position Privilege somewhere half way between cruising cats and performance cats. Also, does she pound much in big seas?
Thank you.
Old 06-06-2020, 09:28   #11

alsail... Catana 431 is definitely higher performance and similar quality to the Privilege but less space. I seriously considered a Catana 431 but didn't like the exposed helm position. They couldn't/wouldn't provide a bulkhead mounted wheel so that made the final decision for me.

FP and Lagoon of the same sort of length are similar performance to a 435 but not the same build quality. Going to windward I think the Privilege is better, certainly better than the current generation FP and Lagoon.

I went around the world without any dedicated downwind sails, I just accepted I'd be going slowly or motoring in light winds. Stick a big spinnaker or maybe a Parasailor up and you'll go pretty quickly in light winds. I didn't want the hassle with only my wife as crew but if you've got willing teenagers then get a big downwind sail and go for it.

Pounding... I only found it a problem on one occasion, unfortunately that occasion lasted for about 5 days while crossing the Indian Ocean. Really confused seas coming beam-on and about 30 knots wind pretty much dead behind. That wasn't a lot of fun. However, I don't think there is any cat that would have done any better. I had a weather router and asked them what course to steer to get out of the system I was in but it just seemed to follow me wherever I went. The only ocean crossing I was really glad to see the back of.

Old 06-06-2020, 12:21   #12

Could you please provide some examples of speed in different conditions? Like average speed on passage, or different speeds for different point of sail in 10 kts, 15 kts of wind?
Old 07-06-2020, 09:46   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsail View Post
Could you please provide some examples of speed in different conditions? Like average speed on passage, or different speeds for different point of sail in 10 kts, 15 kts of wind?
I've generally sailed conservatively so a lot of skippers will get far more out of a 435 than me. With that proviso out of the way...

I crossed 4 oceans in total and always seemed to average 6.5-7.5 on a long passage. That only tells half the story though as I probably averaged 8 during daylight and 5-5.5 when it was dark. I had a few 200 nm days but not that many just because of being so under canvassed overnight. had loads of 100 nm plus 12 hour runs.

Probably 99% of distance of the ocean crossings were downwind or no wind. In times of no wind I used to stick one motor on at around 1500-1800 rpm and do 4.5-5 knots while using around half a gallon an hour.

The only time I really sailed upwind was during the couple of years I ran the boat as a crewed-charter in the BVI. There is one upwind run that I'd do virtually every week and get the guests to help if they were willing (and not drunk). Doing that run up the Sir Francis Drake Channel I'd always beat the other similar length cats doing the same. I probably knew my boat better than most of the bareboat charterers did so it is not really that surprising. I'd also beat the vast majority of 45 - 50 ft standard chartered monohulls over that course. The exceptions of course were the occasional Swan or similar higher performance monos. Sorry I don't have any actual figures for you but I sold the boat 6 years ago and don't even know where my log books are!

One thing, not performance related, but very important to me... If you buy a Privilege 435, look after it, when you come to sell it you'll probably get your money back when you come to sell.

Old 07-06-2020, 10:01   #14

Boat: a sailing boat

You can grab a similar boat polar diagram and derate by size. E.g. a bigger Leopard here:

https://www.leopardcatamarans.com/si...Leopard-58.pdf

the formula is 1.x sqrt(LWL) so derating is not linear (!!!)

Otherwise they will easily humm at between 6 and 7 knots even loaded for a cruise, PROVIDED their hulls are clean and their props are folded/feathered.

On cross-wind Caribbean passages they will be blazingly fast.

The downside, as with any cat, is that on many a popular long distance route they will suffer from poor speed/vmg ratio (due to many routes being pure, or near so, downwind or upwind sails). Not much ado as they make up for that 'loss' with their pure speed.

The upside is that they are easy to sail and being so stable you will sail them faster rather than slower.

You are into a fast, comfortable journey on any common tradewinds route.

Try to catch a ride on one, see what YOU feel.

I bet you will like.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 11:40   #15

Thank you guys. I will have to find one around, see if they would give me a ride. Atm there is a Outremer 45 from 2003 and a Privilege 465, no Catana or Privilege 435.
I got 2 more questions , if you don't mind:
1. How big is the maintenance difference between 435 and 465( extended last steps to 495 overall)?
2. Is it correct to assume that a Privilege is better(faster) than FP/Lagoon/Leopard?

Tags
privilege