Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2020, 17:44   #166

Re: Prices coming down?

Holy moly flight to grenada is 38 hours and a month out regardless if i pay triple or not... I dont see alot of people flying around buying up boats anytime soon.
Grimgrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2020, 18:55   #167

[QUOTE=tomfl;3190704]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clamdigger View Post

I have seen early 90s models in Florida for less than that and that is where I live. I also have seen some other interesting boats on the West Coast but trailering a boat across country is not free, not to mention the time and effort. I probably have seen ads for that boat and did not really think it was that great a deal for an almost 30 year old boat.

There have been real improvements in the newer fboats with bigger amas forward and improved folding systems. While I was looking in the EU COVID-19 put an end to that; at least for a few years. Bottom line is I am not seeing any great reduction in fboat prices. There is a C36 in Maryland that has been for sale for months and the price has not budged.
I saw that C36 advertised on CL today while browsing various areas on CL.

I did see another 36ft tri on eastnc craigslist org today. It's going to need some work, but is the tri of your dreams if you like to 'smoke' the other tri's as you flyby them!

It's a ''Seawing 36 tri' for $29900 (in Mathews NC). Go to smalltrimarans.com and read the story on the 'Seawing 24'. Read the 'comments' section too and you'll find out just how great a design these boats are. One guy bought one here on the Mainland, sight unseen, and was having it freighted back to Hawaii!!

Rare boats that'll keep you from being bored as you fly around every other boat out there!
Old 31-07-2020, 01:59   #168

Boat: St Francis 48Turbo

Regarding prices.. does anyone know how "fixed" new boat prices are? I am not thinking about the bare boat price (i assume this is definately fixed), i am wondering whether anyone has haggled with the manufacturer on a price for boat plus what can be very expensive option$ ??
Heath68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 12:25   #169

RV dealers are now having problems keeping Rv's in stock as they are selling out hope this isn't a reflection into the boat market.
Grimgrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 12:33   #170

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimgrak View Post
RV dealers are now having problems keeping Rv's in stock as they are selling out hope this isn't a reflection into the boat market.
It very much is. I have dozens of people hoping the buyer for my boat doesn’t close next weekend and some trying to outbid him.

I sold it to the first person who looked at it. Cash.

Deposit paid, closing next week.

It’s a madhouse.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 13:38   #171

In the Canadian COVID thread, someone mentioned that since Canadians can't head to the sun this winter, they're grabbing up RV and camping spots in southern BC and on Vancouver Is, which are very temperate.

Around here, property sales are down, but not prices. The market is hurting from lack of supply. Recreational properties, cottages etc have sold briskly.

My wife works at a catering joint whose main clientele is the 1%. They pivoted a bit to home-delivered casseroles and comfort food, and they have been busier than before the pandemic.

There is A LOT of money around, seeking places to get spent.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 16:15   #172

It seems at the moment people are spending locally like crazy on RVs, small boats, watercrafts. I have strong feeling that it will end soon as economics will collapse further.

But it's totally different game with cruising boats. International cruising? Forget about it in the coming years. Even if SOMEDAY they will start opening the borders, crossing these borders will be very painful and expensive (like right now in Fiji).
So where all these cruising boats, charter boats will go? Who will need them? I dreamed about this lifestyle, but it looks like it won't happen in this life.

Cruising boats located in countries like USA might see some demand from local cruisers and that might support local prices (at least for a while, until economics will be completely collapsed), but there are thousands of boats in smaller countries and on the islands where are ZERO local buyers. Many people right now can't even find the way to access their boats located overseas. Some people will be waiting until "everything will heal" (hint - not anytime soon) or until boat will sink (whatever comes first). The others will try to sell these boats sooner or later. And that's when prices will start crushing, because buyers also won't be able to access these boats (let alone to use them).

Look at the recent videos on YT from sailing channels. They mostly about "how to spend time in one place without ability to go anywhere". It might be fun for a month. Or two. But not for a year.
And on some channels people already selling the boats after very long refits, without even trying to start cruising.
ranchero76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 17:05   #173

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Couldn’t disagree more.

When I’m done the catamaran in a couple years, I fully expect to have everything mostly back to normal and be able to cruise internationally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchero76 View Post
It seems at the moment people are spending locally like crazy on RVs, small boats, watercrafts. I have strong feeling that it will end soon as economics will collapse further.

But it's totally different game with cruising boats. International cruising? Forget about it in the coming years. Even if SOMEDAY they will start opening the borders, crossing these borders will be very painful and expensive (like right now in Fiji).
So where all these cruising boats, charter boats will go? Who will need them? I dreamed about this lifestyle, but it looks like it won't happen in this life.

Cruising boats located in countries like USA might see some demand from local cruisers and that might support local prices (at least for a while, until economics will be completely collapsed), but there are thousands of boats in smaller countries and on the islands where are ZERO local buyers. Many people right now can't even find the way to access their boats located overseas. Some people will be waiting until "everything will heal" (hint - not anytime soon) or until boat will sink (whatever comes first). The others will try to sell these boats sooner or later. And that's when prices will start crushing, because buyers also won't be able to access these boats (let alone to use them).

Look at the recent videos on YT from sailing channels. They mostly about "how to spend time in one place without ability to go anywhere". It might be fun for a month. Or two. But not for a year.
And on some channels people already selling the boats after very long refits, without even trying to start cruising.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 17:06   #174

Boat: Spindrift 43

Just adding a datapoint for you from a recent buyer. This is my fifth “big” boat since 2004, so I know what market trends look like.

At least here in Florida, the market is alive and well. Getting a time slot for the short-haul for my survey was a challenge. Surveyors were mostly tied up, and the brokers (who I’ve known since 2013) were all doing pretty well.

The economic challenges we’re seeing seem to be impacting a segment of the population who wasn’t in the boat market to begin with. I could say the same with the housing market in our neighborhood as well. Maybe they will at some point, but I’m not seeing it yet.

I am by no means assigning any political implications to my observations. I feel like I need to say that these days. But somehow, the market is as vibrant as I have ever seen it since 2004, but for the first time, I don’t understand why.
Creedence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 18:01   #175
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimgrak View Post

And, why not? Many (most?) of us here are boat owners, and would love to hear that our boats are holding their value. Much less sympathy for those looking to take advantage of someone else's misfortune!
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 18:14   #176

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Couldn’t disagree more.

When I’m done the catamaran in a couple years, I fully expect to have everything mostly back to normal and be able to cruise internationally.
I wish you very-very good luck. I will print this statement and put it on the wall. Come back in two years, we'll talk about it. I will be very glad if it will turn out I was incorrect. I also always hoping for the best, but that's not what they're doing to the World.
Old 08-08-2020, 20:37   #177

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchero76 View Post

100% agree.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 21:20   #178

The next half-year will suck as most countries wrestle with their relapses and fresh outbreaks, but by next spring we will be struggling back to some semblance of normal, and vaccines start to roll out. International travel will begin to pick up by fall 2021 and yeah, I predict cruising will be pretty much back by spring 2022. Bookmark this thread.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 22:08   #179

People, think about this - in June 2020 ALONE - USA printed more money THAN IN 200 PREVIOUS YEARS. These money not supported by anything and worth less than paper they printed on. Same happening in other countries. It's not question "if", it's question "when" this bubble will pop. The virus hysteria is just a cherry on the cake. And cake is coming, regardless you like it or not. And when cake will come, for MOST people boats will be last thing to care about.
If you think you will be one of these who won't be affected...you might as well buy lottery ticket - chances are about the same.
Old 08-08-2020, 22:47   #180

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
The next half-year will suck as most countries wrestle with their relapses and fresh outbreaks, but by next spring we will be struggling back to some semblance of normal, and vaccines start to roll out. International travel will begin to pick up by fall 2021 and yeah, I predict cruising will be pretty much back by spring 2022. Bookmark this thread.
Do you ever back up your never ending optimism with Data? You have no idea what you say is true, I hope you are right BUT the reality is at this stage it's just wishful thinking.....nothing more.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
price