Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2011, 01:18   #76

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
Re: Pretty Cat, Ugly Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Met that guy in Brittany, thinks he's in Audierne.. Find his cat much more attractive than the big plastic ufos And yes, as some have speculated, it's plywood.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:52   #77
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
cat man do ... one of the most tragic events in boating happened in Australia where a motor boat that was licensed for 8 sank with 17 on board on New Years Eve in NSW,
Do you also remember quite a few years back there were approximately 40 pax aboard a Steber 36 motor cruiser? too many were up front and she flipped over and one or two from memory died inside the cabin, possibly children. May have been in NSW from memory.
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 12:21   #78

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausaviator View Post
Do you also remember quite a few years back there were approximately 40 pax aboard a Steber 36 motor cruiser? too many were up front and she flipped over and one or two from memory died inside the cabin, possibly children. May have been in NSW from memory.
I do remember that incident, i posted the other out of frustration that a person can believe that building a vessel to a standard, ie in this case a survey, is a LUXURY?

It so frustrates me that someone could argue that signage prevents people from doing the wrong thing????? WTF?

The vessel we were discussing DOES NOT comply to ANY survey or classification society standards for the upper deck, there is no chapter in AMSA, USCG, DNV, LLOYD'S, VERITAS or any other body that covers PERGOLA'S. Quite simply it's an incident waiting to happen. NO LUXURY THERE!!!!
Old 04-12-2011, 12:39   #79

Pretty vs ugly is entirely subjective. I like "form follows function" type boats. Fancy brightwork just looks unneccessary and high maintainance to me.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 13:21   #80

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausaviator View Post
Perhaps if they had a chain and a sign preventing people from accessing the foredeck this tragedy could have been averted
Old 04-12-2011, 19:43   #81

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
I do remember that incident, i posted the other out of frustration that a person can believe that building a vessel to a standard, ie in this case a survey, is a LUXURY?
Perhaps you should read the post again and then point to where I actuall said that.
What I said was
Quote:
The same can be said about many forms of transportation in asian pacific nations. Just because it doesn't fit into your or the "Western" bureaucrats pigeon hole doesn't mean it is not a valid form of transportation for those who cant afford a luxury charter vessel to carry their arse around.
meaning in simple words, Bali is a poorer country ie: They cant afford your Lagoon to carry people around on cheap charters or ferry
Those that do put vessels like yours in poorer nations usually go broke and I can list several examples of expats bringing in expensive vessels to poorer countries thinking they can make an earn when the locals just dont have the money to pay.
Quote:
It so frustrates me that someone could argue that signage prevents people from doing the wrong thing????? WTF?
It is a preventative measure to keep the general public at bay which in the majority of cases would work.
What do you suggest, armed guards with assault rifles?

I have been on vehicular ferries in Moreton bay where a chain and a sign is what they have had to deter people from venturing to the upper decks and or sections of the vessel which are off limits.
Survey vessels as well, how do they not have hoards overrunning the upper decks and going where they are not wanted?
I suppose people arent as tupid as you would have us believe.

Quote:
The vessel we were discussing DOES NOT comply to ANY survey or classification society standards for the upper deck, there is no chapter in AMSA, USCG, DNV, LLOYD'S, VERITAS or any other body that covers PERGOLA'S.
Like I said, is it a requirement of the country it operates in, if not so what?

I am not saying its right nor have I ever said it is well built, what I have said is that it serves the purpose in the country it was built for, therefore it has been successful in that application.
Quote:
Quite simply it's an incident waiting to happen.
And yet it has not.

Your Surveyed Sydney vessel on the other hand was and did.
Proof that survey, is not the magic pill that you prescribe.
Old 04-12-2011, 20:04   #82
Marine Service Provider

Countries that have low or no standards for these types of vessels have their own way of dealing with it. When something goes wrong and you are identified as at fault as the owner or skipper or both, they lock you up for life, plain and simple solution.
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote