Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2018, 10:21   #16

Boat: Lagoon 400S2
Re: Possibly The Dumbest Question Ever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timethief View Post
I disagree - the only dumb question (as taught in the Navy) is the one you don't ask! But there are plenty of dumb answers!

Fair Winds!
My L400 has a wireless Raymarine remote for the autopilot.
Potentialy you can steer from inside, at least while motoring.

Sail handling would not work, but you can slightly change course by 10 degree to avoid a collision course from inside and go back later without adjusting the sails, not optimal, but possibel.

Btw, many motor vessel have less field of sight on their bridges than a catamaran, with code0 or jib up you see in the salon a broader angle ahead than on the helm.
Old 25-07-2018, 14:06   #17

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

That all depends on the type of rig and what kind of sailing you enjoy most doing.

Personally I have my own ideas---such as bipod masts and wishbone booms--self tacking and quickly furlable, almost infinitely adjustable with movable mounts and rakeable head settings,and masts that can be lowered comparatively easily to pass under a bridge--but that is just me.

The easier the better--and usually the safer--and you can rig a shoulder of mutton sail or a crab claw from them if you wish, and have most of your sail aloft in comparatively undisturbed air--or you can hoist the highly efficient wing sails from as many masts as you wish--they are cheap to make, have no elaborate rigging, and more masts means less height to get the same power--and more manageable a rig in heavy weather.

But that is just me. When I put the help over, I like to see the sails shift neatly over to the other tack without me having to do anything except adjust the genoa--if I have one set. I can make other adjustments at my leisure--and to me. leisure and pleasure amount to the same thing.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 14:27   #18

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasbee View Post
Perhaps you'd like a Lazyboy chair as well - one that could be raised so that you could see out of the ports?!!
What a question - what about the legal necessity to maintain a lookout at ALL times?
Had a friend who had a favourite LazyBoy recliner at home and was getting a 50' cat built in South Africa. Bought another chair the same and had it shipped to SA where they reupholstered it and had it built into the U-shape of seats around the table. Couldn't run the boat from there of course.
Old 25-07-2018, 14:53   #19

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

Further to the post that was not complete--

As to running it from inside the vessel--if you have a remote control connected to your autopilot--you can stay out of the spray and rain and simply use it to steer. Not ideal--but do-able. Hydraulic steering and the associated hydraulic autopilots have to be worth at least as much in convenience as an extra crew member--probably more reliable, will not doze off, and without the ego, personality or food bill.

An advantage of the hydraulic autopilots is they are powerful--and heavy weather does not overwhelm them.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 15:41   #20

Location: Brisbane after cruising (Atlantic -> Med -> Carib -> Pacific)
Boat: Vancouver 36, Hobie 33, Catana 48, now all with new owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Banks View Post
Further to the post that was not complete--
... steer. Not ideal--but do-able. Hydraulic steering and the associated hydraulic autopilots have to be worth at least as much in convenience as an ...
Just a minor point, you can have powerful "hydraulic" autopilots without hydraulic steering. The hydraulic ram is connected to one of the rudder tiller arms or quadrants depending on your steering type.
mark_morwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 16:37   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

I can steer from anywhere on deck or inside using one of these Raymarine Smartcontrollers:

StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 16:41   #22

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Perhaps you'd like a Lazyboy chair as well - one that could be raised so that you could see out of the ports?!!
What a question - what about the legal necessity to maintain a lookout at ALL times?
Ports? Why should on look out of ports in a cat? In our boat that means I'm in bed!
Many cats like ours have large windows in the salon area and 360 visibility. Its not like living in a basement.

And about the lookout: So all the fishermen and large ship pros are doing something wrong by staying inside?

In fact I can often see better from the inside, especially when I am using both gennaker and genoa for downwind sailing. To have the same unobstructed view I'd have to go forward and lay myself flat on the trampoline.

That said we are outside 99% when in costal areas, and maybe 90% when offshore with no-one around.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 19:58   #23

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

One thing to consider is that crew staying in the warm and dry during bad weather are likely to be less tired, more alert and make better decisions. This can more than compensate for slight restrictions in viability when offshore especially with decent electronics. In heavy rain my radar and AIS can see far better than I can!
Remote control of sails is definitely possible, I have used it on large boats. But it is very expensive because you need a full set of power winches and furlers and then you need to provide the power to run it. It is also another set of systems to go wrong and keep you in poort paying expensive repair bills and dockage. Hydraulic or electric systems both use significant power.

Just to avoid going into the cockpit to trim sails I doubt it is worth it. If you individual sails are more than 400sqft and can't be handled by one person then it may be worth it as it could save turning crew out every time. So depends on the size of the boat. On mono's over 50-60ft you do start to see power sail handling.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 20:42   #24

Boat: C&C Mk 1 33'

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrentp View Post
Almost any boat with autopilot or Hydraulic steering can be fitted with an inside wheel or joy stick or ap. Visibility and acceptable risk are the next factors. On a crappy cold rainy day visibility isn't great, inside or out.

I am a terrible sailor - I like to be warm and dry. On a long course with no known hazards and radar and AIS I will be in the cabin.

Till the sails need adjusting.
Have you heard from your insurance carrier yet?
Rhwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 20:52   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrentp View Post
Almost any boat with autopilot or Hydraulic steering can be fitted with an inside wheel or joy stick or ap. Visibility and acceptable risk are the next factors. On a crappy cold rainy day visibility isn't great, inside or out.

I am a terrible sailor - I like to be warm and dry. On a long course with no known hazards and radar and AIS I will be in the cabin.

Till the sails need adjusting.
I'm very new to sailing... is it pretty common on a multi-hour or few day voyage to set the auto-pilot and then just spend time in the saloon (while still monitoring AIS/radar/etc. and glancing out the windows)?

I'm thinking in terms of me having a Cat and having some non-sailing guests onboard... being able to set an auto-pilot course offshore and spending time with them inside while still monitoring everything from there (and running back to the helm should I need to at anytime). ??
boatingnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 20:58   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
I can steer from anywhere on deck or inside using one of these Raymarine Smartcontrollers:

That's very cool! I wonder if they make a fully waterproof one that you could have attached to a vest for emergencies (for single-handed sailors) so if you went overboard you could use the remote to drop all the sails and turn the boat back to your direction. ? Would be cool if someone made an emergency WATCH like that... a full remote to control a boat in case of an emergency; either going overboard or if someone was maybe struck in the head by something (or any other situation) where they got knocked down and had trouble getting back up... could press a button or two on the watch and drop all the sails and do minor controlling of the boat.
Old 25-07-2018, 21:01   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
Ports? Why should on look out of ports in a cat? In our boat that means I'm in bed!
Many cats like ours have large windows in the salon area and 360 visibility. Its not like living in a basement.
Exactly. I was referring to the saloon on a Cat where broad visibility would be constantly available.
Old 25-07-2018, 22:48   #28

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

This not a dumb question, in fact we have a complete enclosure of our center cockpit, with 360 degree visibility. It makes sailing in northern CA actually tolerable, compared to my earlier boat which didn't even have a dodger. After feeling the cold wind and spray on my face for so long, I finally had enough of it. When we get to warmer areas, we remove the side covers as needed.

Pretty sure you can invent a good framed fabric cockpit enclosure on the cat, though it would have to be pretty huge I guess. And some of the cats have a steering station you have to climb several steps from the cockpit to get into a seat way up high - a ridiculous situation IMHO - so enclosing that and also the cockpit would be a problem.
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2018, 00:25   #29

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:

Do you think big ships are steered from outside in th cockpit, or imagine that they even have one? LOL! The helmsman/lookout might walk out onto the bridge wing now and again, usually to have a smoke, but normally he is inside, in air conditioned comfort. Why does a sailboat have to be any different? A window between you and the rest of the world doesn't prevent you from keeping a proper lookout. And being outside in the cold and rain and spray and heat doesn't necessarily mean that you are, either.

I don't know about a Lazyboy recliner, but I can tell you that an old Koken barber chair makes a dandy helm seat. Raises, lowers, swivels. Nice foot rest and everything.
Old 26-07-2018, 00:45   #30

Boat: CheoyLee Offshore 33
Send a message via Skype™ to masonc

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post

I'd love one of those for my 33ft sailboat. When we have to motor up the lee of an island (we live in the caribbean), we set the autopilot and take to the bow to enjoy the view and the quiet. Along comes a fish pot and I have to run for the cockpit and reach around the wheel to press +/-10 to avoid. Doing it from the bow would be magical.
masonc is offline   Reply With Quote