Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2009, 06:28   #1
KGP

Positive Fastcat Comments

In another thread, David M asked: "Do you guys have anything positive to say about Fastcats?"

Before that thread was rightfully closed, I answered, "Interesting ideas and concepts. You?"

Continuing, what positive comment do you have?
David M?

-Albert Einstein
KGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2009, 08:05   #2

Boat: Custom 36' folding sailing cat
I agree. Interesting ideas and concepts.
It would be great to see these ideas come to fruition.
On another note, I can positively say, their advertising tactics, and customer service are second to none when it comes to doing it the wrong way!
solarbri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2009, 08:30   #3
jkd

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarbri View Post
I agree. Interesting ideas and concepts.
It would be great to see these ideas come to fruition.
On another note, I can positively say, their advertising tactics, and customer service are second to none when it comes to doing it the wrong way!
Ditto to this with the exception; great to see SOME of these ideas come to fruition.
In aviation we say never buy less than serial number 50 off the assembly line as the guys flying the first 50 are basicly all test pilots until the builder gets all the bugs worked out and mods are incorporated. If you constantly build what is a new product every time do to so many 'new ideas' in each one, you can never get to a point of reasonable reliabilty. It seems everything I have read about fastcats are that each of the 3 or 4 built to date are "one off's" with little in common and to be even named as a model run is somewhat misleading.

John
jkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2009, 10:17   #4
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I am going to admit that Butterfly is a beautiful boat, but you know what they say about beauty. It's only skin deep!........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2009, 10:22   #5
KGP

Let's keep it positive! I'd hate to see this thread closed before others, David M included, have a chance to answer.

-Albert Einstein
KGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2009, 16:44   #6

So far the only positive comments seem to be coming from the makers.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2009, 19:53   #7
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
I'm incredibly sick of fastcat and Gideon bashers. The obsession is pathetic.
Palarran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2009, 04:57   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
I dont think anyone is bashing them, I think people are concerned as to the veracity of some of the claims is all.

Personally I think the concept is reasonable, the styling is average at best and the execution, based on the few launched reports is poor. I think the green drive systems look interesting and the use of some exotic fibres also looks interesting.

I think in that sort of price/size range there are a few choices that perhaps look a better option but at the end of the day it will be an individuals choice.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2009, 14:50   #9

Boat: Ovni 445
I'm surprised to see that so many people have taken such a keen interest in my ownership of African Innovation and my lack of blogging or writing lately.

The reasons are quite simple: I bought African Innovation from Gideon in June 2008. I paid more than I could afford, but after having looked at a TON of different boats, I decided that a FastCat was what I wanted. Now I couldn't afford a new one, but I loved the lay-out, the design and how she moved. I bought African Innovation, because she was what I dreamt of when I thought about my ideal boat (anyone who read my thread 2 years ago can see that a FastCat fit the image of the cat I was looking for. I wrote my list in that thread long before I had even heard of FastCats. It took another year and a few months, before I set foot in African Innovation and did a test sail together with Gideon and my father.

Now I couldn't afford a new one, but I could get African Innovation second hand, because it had been hull number 1 and Gideon's demo boat. I paid more than I could afford, but that's unfortunately normally the case when we fall for something.

I bought African Innovation and sailed her back to Norway. Since then I have sailed her through the English Channel, across the Bay of Biscay, across the Atlantic and cruised the Windward, Leeward, Virgin and ABC Islands. A lot of comment has gone into why African Innovation is still registered in South Africa under Gideon's company ... The answer is simple: Tax reasons. If I registered her in my name in Norway I would have to pay an additional 24% ... Now that's a chunk of change I don't have. I am now working on ways to avoid the VAT and time will tell how successful I am.

The reason why I haven't been blogging is also simple: African Innovation has been on dry land in Aruba since May 1st enjoying the hurricane season in safe refuge. I on the other hand have been working my ass off for Royal Caribbean to save up some much needed cash for further travels after my initial plan to do charters, kind of failed due to the impeccably timed credit crunch.

I haven't been active at all on any forum, mostly because I have been working on a cruise ship with crap Internet connection and to be honest, I didn't want to be reminded that I have a beautiful boat laying unused in Aruba. It hurts. That all changes in 2 weeks, when I return to Aruba and resume cruising. This is also why I am active again now. You will also see that my blog will be updated soon.

As to Gideon bashing and FastCat bashing. I'm not going to dive far into that hornets nest, but will say that Gideon and I have had our discussions and disagreements as any owner will have with the builder (and/or previous owner). Do we sort out whatever is wrong or whatever I am in need of? Yes. Gideon has been very helpful and I honestly can't complain. Have I wanted to strangle him? ... Yes, but it's normally because I've done something stupid and he points it out to me. No, seriously, I have a very good relationship with Gideon and as with any relationship, you get what you give.

As to FastCat bashing, make sure you see and sail one before you attack. I have yet to have anyone onboard my boat that has not been very impressed. Do I have technical issues and problems? Of course I do ... It's a boat. Would I trade her for any other boat of this size ... Yeah, Green eMotion when she is launched next week, until then ... no.

If anyone has any other questions about African Innovation, please fire away. I have a bunch of things to work on when I get back onboard and if I showed you the list, I don't think the list would look remarkably different from any other do-list after your boat has been on the hard for 6 months.
Old 14-11-2009, 15:38   #10

Boat: Island Spirit 401 Catamaran
Ande,

Thanks for giving the write up of your personal experience with the FastCat. I have a Contour 34 SC Trimaran, a move up from a F-27. Of all the tri's that we looked at, it came down to what worked for us. There were 36 (?) of the 34 SC's produced from '97 to '03, so I can ask questions of a few owners that participate on a Yahoo message board. The boat is not perfect, that's part of why I like it. If there was a perfect boat, we would not have a choice, it would be the only boat being made.

Sail fast, Live slow.

Clint

Parkton, MD
TriDreaming
Contour 34SC #4
2mdsailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2009, 02:18   #11

Boat: Ovni 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mdsailors View Post
If there was a perfect boat, we would not have a choice, it would be the only boat being made.
Exactly! And thank God that we all value and look for different things, because if not the boating scene would be vey static. We've found boats that we're happy with and that's the most important thing.
Old 15-11-2009, 07:35   #12
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Good to hear from you again, Andreas! We'd be happy to see you here on Nevis, if it works out during your trip up the islands this Spring.

Tags
fastcat