Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2015, 04:55   #31

Re: Portable Generator Air Conditioner Setup.

"What is available is the one piece push around portable air conditioners with the "dryer vent hose" for exhausting hot air overboard. They are big, clumsy and a royal pain in the butt to try to adapt to a boat. "

When we got tired of fighting with our marine unit, this is what we picked up. It does require a place to sit near an opening window, which luckily we have.

As far as efficiency, there are twin hose units that use outside air to cool the coils. Next unit will have this but the cheaper single hose unit does a decent job. It mixes the condensation with the exhaust air so no more plugged up condensation drains flooding the bilge (our bilges are dry and it's amazing how much condensation water an air conditioner will generate.)

So happy not to have to deal with the marine unit.

As far as powering it we have a Yamaha 2400, which has a built in surge capability and starts our current and prior units (both 12k btu). At anchor, we place it on the back deck outside the cockpit with the exhaust facing overboard. We also have a CO detector in the cabin.

We thought about the propane conversion but if you are going to use it on more than very rare occasions, it's just a pain. 95% of marinas have gas pumps, so it's easy to refill a 5 gal jug. Propane typically means lugging a heavy tank into town and an even heavier full tank back to the boat.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 11:10   #32

Thumbs up Re: Portable Generator Air Conditioner Setup.

Thanks Jonathan!

I'm working on it right now. It appears Haier still has the smallest units, and I found one with a remote for $146. I've got a pretty small door opening so I think smaller size is the priority for me. I do have a good size drop off once entering the companionway (Catalina 22) and on to an ice chest; so that is a good point. I think I'll be able to get around it but if not I can build a step like you said.

I'm looking to get pressure treated 3/4" wood and stain it. My companionway has 3 boards so I'm going to replace the bottom 2 and keep the top board separate. Also planning on putting a tarp above the boom to provide some shade.

I'm not sure I follow on how you did the handle but if I look at it again later I'll probably figure it out. I'm going to focus on building this first part now and get to that later.
carolinabuoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 07:09   #33

Re: Portable Generator Air Conditioner Setup.

It took the better part of a day but I spent last night uninterrupted with my Haier blowing strong from the companionway. Thanks Jonathansail.
carolinabuoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator