Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2019, 03:13   #61
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 6
Re: Please help! Buying advice for small cat

And I would prefer the broadblue 34 clearly to the aventura 34, except price difference. CE-Kat A versus B and better thought throug for singlehanded sailing. For Broadblue you should choose a newer one (believe after 2012) which are built in Poland after China and better quality
__________________

Popaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 06:56   #62
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Riga, Latvia
Posts: 163
Send a message via Skype™ to Steamer
Re: Please help! Buying advice for small cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by PermTraveler View Post
Thanks! Just had a look at Broadblue. Seems they are one of the few companies that produces smaller cats with Cat A rating.
Polish yard also builds more sporty cats under Rapier brand.
They have now galley up under the roof.

Before that these cats were built as Format Cabrio, later Rapier,
with galley down.
They are all 40-ft and have cross Atlantics in their history .

2012 built lady is recently on the market.
2 cains layout @ asking Eur 210k.

+++++

If one day You may like smaller 30-ft weekender as per this picture (very initial drawings), then we can build #1 for You after entire paperwork is completed.

+++++

As a 3-rd alternative can propose larger 18-meters 2004 full aluminum built monohull @ sweet price of Eur 185k.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JULA-9-1.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	202470  
__________________

Steamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 07:26   #63
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Punta Gorda, Fl
Boat: Mainship 34 Pilot
Posts: 10
Re: Please help! Buying advice for small cat

Gemini 105 Mc. Nice coastal cruiser, easily singlehanded, affordable. Should be able to find a 2005-2010 vintage for about $110000. Biggest negative is the Sillette outdrive that requires some annual maintenance.
catnap892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 08:01   #64
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 67
Re: Please help! Buying advice for small cat

A few suggestions
1) look online for xyz (cat brand and model) specs. There are a number of sites and besides specs, they usually show a layout.
Some rules of thumb are min 35' LOA for anything offshore and width/beam should be near 50% of the LOA for stability eg 40' LOA with 20' beam
2) a few ones to look at in your price range
Leopard 38 owners version - one hull is the owners side and has separate head and shower. other hull has two cabins and shared head/shower combo. Galley is up, usually 38 hp twin diesels which are under the aft bunks as I recall
Privilege 37- these have kind of an owners version layout with owners bunk across the forward bridgedeck and its own bathroom. The other hull has 2 cabins sharing a head/shower combo
Privilege 39- they are usually 4 cabins 2 heads with shower. There are some that have 4 heads, and very few owners versions. Sinks are in each cabin not in the bathroom. Diesel in separate compartments in rear of each hull and usually have saildrives. Galley is down
drcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 08:48   #65
Registered User
 
snort's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Trunk (boot) of my car
Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!
Posts: 1,101
Re: Please help! Buying advice for small cat

Quote:
Hence, I would prefer a small cat with one double cabin and good sized bathroom with separated shower (not wetting the entire bathroom when taking a shower).
I think for price, solid construction, and that dedicated shower space, the PDQ36 (later model years) would fit the bill.
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:09   #66
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 6
Re: Please help! Buying advice for small cat

Would advise having a look at the BroadBlue 346 which is built in Poland and sold out of the UK. Itís a narrow-beamed 10 metre catamaran set up for easy sail handling. It is somewhat similar to the Gemini 105MC but a newer design with very nice interior specs (a fair bit of light oak veneer). I am planning to commission its first (electric) power variant myself in a year or two. Itís a neat and very well laid out boat with lots of storage.

Best wishes!
Ifitsworthdoing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 17:02   #67
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 440
Re: Please help! Buying advice for small cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnap892 View Post
Gemini 105 Mc. Nice coastal cruiser, easily singlehanded, affordable. Should be able to find a 2005-2010 vintage for about $110000. Biggest negative is the Sillette outdrive that requires some annual maintenance.
Great boat but if you're looking for a separate shower or just a lot of interior room in general they're not the best. For somewhere like the Chesapeake though, the draft and beam just can't be beat for getting into almost everywhere.
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 18:07   #68
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 52
Re: Please help! Buying advice for small cat

I suggest maybe best to see if you can go to rent these types of cats before you look to buy them.

You might also if you want try to find out if you also rent similar type racing type mono hulls that they might suit your requirements better
Cruising cats can be bit dull for younger folk.
What's makes a cruising cat great for family often is not so interesting to younger folk.
The mono hulls are also often easier to try out or rent from sailing schools which often have them.

Also many boat clubs look for crew for the days race and these tend to be racing mono hulls .

Modern racing type Mono hulls speeds are now so good they can now often keep up with the cruising type cats.

As a cat sailor I find it hard to push the cruising cat solution on younger folk who might find that they don't share the same point of view as some of us silver hair type like me
What makes a cat a first class solution to many cruising folk with lightweight crew like wife and family or silver hair types of people which I am one so love the cats can sometimes not suit the younger folk

Also you web page with history and your previous life logic " . "Assets versus Liabilty "makes the charter rental solution look
to be a much cheaper solution compared to boat owning .

Just hop on planes and go some other nice region when hurricane season or winter arrives and rent a boat again .

Ok you might have to down size in rental to something like a 30 foot mono hull but many of these have good hot shower room solutions .

Warmer regions like the mid latitudes the wind are on average not strong such as force three tends to be the best norm .

This means those types of lighter wind the cruising multi hulls tends to suck in how slow they go and how often the engine has to used to get anywhere.

Smaller racier mono hulls will often perform better than cats in low wind type regions like the mediteranain in summer time. Even those racier mono hulls types will tend to often use motors due to no usefull wind like a good land sea breeze which tends to be the main wind source in mid lattidues regions .

We here in Ireland enjoy to be the second most windy region of the planet making it a very good for sailing boats but it often rains so no sun tans

Glad you enjoyed your Celtic tiger times in Ireland
I was not there then even I was irish as was too busy with charter sailing in the mediterain or should I say charter motor sailing and getting a tan . Hard to sail there as so not much useful wind in summer

For hard core sailors you can't beat owning your own boat .

They define boat ownership as like being under the coldest shower you can have and tearing up $1000 notes .

Everything that breaks on a 36 foot cat will always cost at least $1000 and often multiples of that .
I was 50% owner in 33'foot cat and it hurt the pocket after two years so sold up after the money ran out down in spain
I sailed every year on my cousins 37 foot cat from ireland to France and Spain and every breakage always was at least Ä1000 often a lot lot more

Often twin engines means twice the costs .
Marina costs can often be eye watering double the mono hull costs and many modern similar length mono hulls have more room than the same length cat and nearly as wide as cruising as the same length cats but often the mono hull pays a lot less for marina berth.

Lots of factors at work me i prefer to sail cruising cats now
In my younger days i found cruising cats a tad lacking as a good buzz factor compared to moderate type or even full on racing mono hulls.

Different folk different boats maybe you can try the coldest shower ever first as boats are where dung events happen
bouncycastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 22:40   #69
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 19
Re: Please help! Buying advice for small cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncycastle View Post
I suggest maybe best to see if you can go to rent these types of cats before you look to buy them.

You might also if you want try to find out if you also rent similar type racing type mono hulls that they might suit your requirements better
Cruising cats can be bit dull for younger folk.
What's makes a cruising cat great for family often is not so interesting to younger folk.
The mono hulls are also often easier to try out or rent from sailing schools which often have them.

Also many boat clubs look for crew for the days race and these tend to be racing mono hulls .

Modern racing type Mono hulls speeds are now so good they can now often keep up with the cruising type cats.

As a cat sailor I find it hard to push the cruising cat solution on younger folk who might find that they don't share the same point of view as some of us silver hair type like me
What makes a cat a first class solution to many cruising folk with lightweight crew like wife and family or silver hair types of people which I am one so love the cats can sometimes not suit the younger folk

Also you web page with history and your previous life logic " . "Assets versus Liabilty "makes the charter rental solution look
to be a much cheaper solution compared to boat owning .

Just hop on planes and go some other nice region when hurricane season or winter arrives and rent a boat again .

Ok you might have to down size in rental to something like a 30 foot mono hull but many of these have good hot shower room solutions .

Warmer regions like the mid latitudes the wind are on average not strong such as force three tends to be the best norm .

This means those types of lighter wind the cruising multi hulls tends to suck in how slow they go and how often the engine has to used to get anywhere.

Smaller racier mono hulls will often perform better than cats in low wind type regions like the mediteranain in summer time. Even those racier mono hulls types will tend to often use motors due to no usefull wind like a good land sea breeze which tends to be the main wind source in mid lattidues regions .

We here in Ireland enjoy to be the second most windy region of the planet making it a very good for sailing boats but it often rains so no sun tans

Glad you enjoyed your Celtic tiger times in Ireland
I was not there then even I was irish as was too busy with charter sailing in the mediterain or should I say charter motor sailing and getting a tan . Hard to sail there as so not much useful wind in summer

For hard core sailors you can't beat owning your own boat .

They define boat ownership as like being under the coldest shower you can have and tearing up $1000 notes .

Everything that breaks on a 36 foot cat will always cost at least $1000 and often multiples of that .
I was 50% owner in 33'foot cat and it hurt the pocket after two years so sold up after the money ran out down in spain
I sailed every year on my cousins 37 foot cat from ireland to France and Spain and every breakage always was at least Ä1000 often a lot lot more

Often twin engines means twice the costs .
Marina costs can often be eye watering double the mono hull costs and many modern similar length mono hulls have more room than the same length cat and nearly as wide as cruising as the same length cats but often the mono hull pays a lot less for marina berth.

Lots of factors at work me i prefer to sail cruising cats now
In my younger days i found cruising cats a tad lacking as a good buzz factor compared to moderate type or even full on racing mono hulls.

Different folk different boats maybe you can try the coldest shower ever first as boats are where dung events happen
Thanks a lot for this very personal and helpful information! Glad to read you also had a look at my website and got some background information.

Glad to hear that at 41 yo you still consider me young. But I'm more a lazy guy and cats fit me well, not monohull.

I just came back from the Fort Lauderdale International Boat Show. Unfortunately, it's a power boat show with superyachts. They had 1,500 boats in the water but only 2!!! sail catamarans. Both on the very big end (58 Leopard). The Miami and Annapolis boat shows are apparently better suited for sailing boats. Might check them out next year.

I must agree with you in terms of costs. During the boat show I realised how much money you can burn. Owning a boat is surely the most expensive toy you can get!

As you mentioned correctly, I'm an investment guy and think very carefully if I want to spent $200 k on a depreciating toy with lots of annual liabilities... or do I invest and grow the 200 k instead further. There might be plenty of good cat buying opportunities in the next financial crisis.

Having spoken to the guys from Leopard and others, the current trend is bigger and bigger. Almost all new cats focus on 45 ft and above. The last years have been very good economically and there is lots of money out there.

I will keep looking and researching. I like Broadblue. Would be nice if they also bring a trampoline to the below 40 ft models in the future. I'm just a novice, at the beginning and in no rush. But in the medium-term I plan the transition from land to water.

Would be happy to meet up with you at some stage either in Ireland or even better, in the Mediterranean! Pint of Guinness or wine!
PermTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 00:45   #70
Registered User

Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 314
Re: Please help! Buying advice for small cat

Have you considered a Richard Woods Eclipse or a Dazcat 995 or even a Shuttle 31. Good perfromance in small size range.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 01:38   #71
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 52
Re: Please help! Buying advice for small cat

The times are always a changing and so it is with me stuck here this year In Ireland after living five years in spain.


Contacting me can be tricky as I keep dropping phones in or I change country and I never bother to register the mobile phones .
Hazards of living on boats or being available to go to any country for work at short notice .
Best is Snapchat friend me on "Wannabeairborn" or PM me here
yep I enjoy flying in between sailing

I mostly live on my smaller 27 foot boat near Wexford but often go to Dublin midweek for all sorts of reasons mostly family visits .
Yes hard core sailors prefer o live on the boat so as to try to get extra stuff repaired without to pay a boat yard to fix the boat. Diarmaid
bouncycastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:06   #72
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 19
Re: Please help! Buying advice for small cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
Have you considered a Richard Woods Eclipse or a Dazcat 995 or even a Shuttle 31. Good perfromance in small size range.
Thanks, Eclipse seems to be an older model or are they still being manufactured? I only look for recent models (less than 5 years old). The Dazcat models could be of interest but very hard to get any visual impressions. No walk-through videos on YouTube and no information on the "newer" model Dazcat D1095, which was supposed to launch in 2017.
PermTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 02:47   #73
Registered User

Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 314
Re: Please help! Buying advice for small cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by PermTraveler View Post
Thanks, Eclipse seems to be an older model or are they still being manufactured? I only look for recent models (less than 5 years old). The Dazcat models could be of interest but very hard to get any visual impressions. No walk-through videos on YouTube and no information on the "newer" model Dazcat D1095, which was supposed to launch in 2017.
Eclipse at Boat Smith http://www.boatsmithfl.com/
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 05:55   #74
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: In the Atlantic
Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35
Posts: 1,367
Re: Please help! Buying advice for small cat

Lots of recommendations to shower outside. Is Caribbean pretty liberal with nudity then? In Europe especially Spain, it's very common to be naked or come across naked people all over the place. I thought the Caribbean, Central and South America are all a little more prudish.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 04:36   #75
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: W Carib
Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Posts: 11,700
Re: Please help! Buying advice for small cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
Lots of recommendations to shower outside. Is Caribbean pretty liberal with nudity then? In Europe especially Spain, it's very common to be naked or come across naked people all over the place. I thought the Caribbean, Central and South America are all a little more prudish.
In public yes, more conservative in regards to nudity, but it depends on context...breast feeding is a common practice in public...its natural so no one gives it second thought...still considered scandalous in the USA though.

In Belize for example, the locals got their public behaviour from the British...nudity, PDA...not generally acceptable, but whew in private conversation no sexual behavior details are off limits...TMI !
__________________

belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
buying, lease

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sanya 57: Sanya 57: First-time cat purchasers need experienced cat owners advice and knowledge. Amara Fountaine Pajot 48 09-05-2015 06:32
Advice on Buying a Cat in the 40-45' Range ? RickyEM Multihull Sailboats 19 16-10-2011 08:25
Small Cat to Big Cat sirlandsalot Multihull Sailboats 7 20-12-2010 16:04
Buying a Cat - advice needed Gludy Multihull Sailboats 36 21-07-2008 13:05

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:09.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.