Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-10-2019, 17:08   #46

Re: Please help! Buying advice for small cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathlesschosen View Post
May I suggest a Seawind 1000. Cheers.
Not a big fan of cats with canopy. The Seawind 1160 models look interesting but are a bit on the high side pricing wise for the first cat purchase.
PermTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2019, 17:23   #47

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Try laying on a net in front of a cat for a while, See how you feel about them then,

I prefer laying on a blow up mattress on the deck,

But I never go out on the Bow, I have a hammock on the back of my Gemini which I spend most of my time on,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2019, 21:23   #48

Yeah, you are probably right. The nets are never very comfortable unless you put some extra layer on them. I had them on the cat in the Galapagos Islands. But they at least look cool, even if you use them to store a kayak or something. But the Gemini models seems to be the only ones with this unusual round cut foredeck. Do they have any benefits? Personally I don't like the look of it and they limit the amount of space available on the bow. Even a solid foredeck would be fine.
Old 29-10-2019, 02:20   #49

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by PermTraveler View Post
Yeah, you are probably right. The nets are never very comfortable unless you put some extra layer on them. I had them on the cat in the Galapagos Islands. But they at least look cool, even if you use them to store a kayak or something. But the Gemini models seems to be the only ones with this unusual round cut foredeck. Do they have any benefits? Personally I don't like the look of it and they limit the amount of space available on the bow. Even a solid foredeck would be fine.
The Legacy has the rounded fronts, I dont like them either,

The Gemini 105MC From 2002 to about 2008, Have a flat straight solid front on them

There are different varietys of Gemini's, Before about 2002 they were different again,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2019, 02:56   #50

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

First and foremost the nets on the bow are for safety. Lounging on them is just a bonus.

If you don't know or understand this part of catamaran sailing then some more reading is essential.

There are a lot of threads here on this forum discussing bridgedeck clearance and bow layouts.
jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2019, 03:04   #51

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Quote:

The nets are not there for leisure; they are to allow for drainage to keep thousands of pounds of water off your foredeck. Buy some lounging pads, and put them down when you drop the hook or pick up a mooring; you'll love laying there then!.

I would never buy a solid foredeck boat, unless I only wanted to sail inland rivers or lakes.
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2019, 09:05   #52

Boat: Iroquois Catamaran #149

The boat show is a good place to start. I would not rule out power boats, they would probably fit your living expectations better and could be shipped to your cruising grounds.

Maincat 38 sounds along the lines of what you are describing in a sailing cat.

A lot of the modern monos have wide open interiors with large windows and huge lounging cokckpits. Brand new less expensive than a 10 year old cat.

Benateau 35.1

VBsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2019, 09:17   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBsail View Post
The boat show is a good place to start. I would not rule out power boats, they would probably fit your living expectations better and could be shipped to your cruising grounds.

Maincat 38 sounds along the lines of what you are describing in a sailing cat.

A lot of the modern monos have wide open interiors with large windows and huge lounging cokckpits. Brand new less expensive than a 10 year old cat.

You can get yourself a really nice used tug/trawler and have a field day, taking it everywhere. Every boat of comparable size/age will be cheaper than a cat. We're searching for a cat, but have been at it a long time, owned several multihulls and are prepared to spend what we're about to spend.

In your case you might just get something to experience spending a lot of time aboard first, to see how things go.
Old 29-10-2019, 10:04   #54

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

I thought of the Maine Cats at the beginning but they are at least $100K over his budget.
LeeV, didn't you post about looking for a surveyor recently? I thought you found your kitty.
Old 29-10-2019, 10:22   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
I thought of the Maine Cats at the beginning but they are at least $100K over his budget.
LeeV, didn't you post about looking for a surveyor recently? I thought you found your kitty.

Dick does a great job on his boats, but they are costly....

We had the full inspection and survey on the cat and in the midst of it all found out my mom has ovarian cancer, with an inoperable tumor....:-( All bad.

There were some items that didn't appeal to me, and with all things considered, we passed on it. We're focusing on our family, and gently looking. Maybe something a bit smaller, but newer, NOT formerly a charter boat.

Regards,
Old 29-10-2019, 10:28   #56

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

I really liked my Seawind 1000. Owned it for 12 years, then moved up to Seawind 1160 Lite. Later 1000s had a hard top extension instead of the canvas. Used 1160 is above your budget.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2019, 11:04   #57

Many people recommend the Maine Cat 38 but I think it's more a boat for sailing enthusiasts. I'm just a novice and although I want bright and open space, I also want some protection from the environments. Something like the Bali 4.0, Nautitech 40 Open (Lagoon 40, Seawind 1160) just in smaller and with a lower price tag. Small but modern would be ideal. Just take the Aventura 34 design and make a solid Cat A boat out of it.
Old 29-10-2019, 17:08   #58

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
Small but modern would be ideal. Just take the Aventura 34 design and make a solid Cat A boat out of it.
FWIW the Cat A is a European "Trading" standard whilst it differentiates between differing usage conditions the boat does not know that it is offshore or inshore and takes no account of the crew quality just the quantity, neither does it cover the rig for that matter. It is a requirement to "sell" a newly manufactured boat in the EU. The US does not have any such standards and relays on engineering good practices ABYC and USCG, safety equipment and the experience and training of the operator.

Many people have safely sailed across oceans in very primitive craft. To put this into perspective I am not advocating anything just that "YOU" must decide if a boat is safe. Having a category "A" designation does not necessarily mean the boat is SAFE just that it can be SOLD in the EU. For example the 6.5m mini "TRANSAT" boats are CE Cat "B".
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2019, 19:15   #59

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
Many people recommend the Maine Cat 38 but I think it's more a boat for sailing enthusiasts. I'm just a novice and although I want bright and open space, I also want some protection from the environments.

I realize the MC 38 is out of your range but it has all you want. A totally enclosed cockpit and helm. You can open up the enclosure if you wish. Just visualize operating all the lines and controls from a protected space. It has a self tacking jib so all you have to do is turn the wheel to tack. It is very easy to sail and is suitable for novices. In your price range the only one available is the 30' but it still has all the attributes that make a Maine Cat great. About the only comp would be the Seawind 1000XL. The 1000XL has extended sterns and a self tacking jib which are improvements over the 1000 series and is known as a great sailor as others have said. Take a second look at these fine boats.
Old 29-10-2019, 21:53   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popaul View Post
Have a look also to the Broadblue 34 or 38. There are not many in second hand market, but they are well equipped for single hand sailing
Thanks! Just had a look at Broadblue. Seems they are one of the few companies that produces smaller cats with Cat A rating.

Tags
buying, lease