Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2011, 14:30   #16

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran
Re: Piver 40 Trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ger44 View Post
Hi, l have a chance to buy a 40 ft Piver Trimaran. It is marine plywood covered with fiberglass. It has been sitting for a few years in the water at dock and it needs a lot of work. It has a musty, moldy problem, it positively stinks. Can one ever get rid of this smell? My girlfriend is alergic to this stuff big time. Should l even buy this boat? Thanks in advance. Ger44
Some of the very best deals out there ARE on older trimarans, but I would start out with a better design, like a Brown, Cross, or Kantola, and look for one in well maintained condition. It would be wise to stick to a WEST system boat with LP paint as well. In that size, you would easily be looking at $60,000 to $80,000 for this level, and even then you would spend at LEAST $10,000 more to fix what's wrong or worn out. A project boat of greater decrepitude, will cost as much, and take as many years to repair, as starting from scratch, but choosing a better & quicker to build design, like a Marples CC 40.
I've found building from scratch to be MUCH more satisfying! If you don't have the skills or 5+ years to spend on it, perhaps you should rethink. My Wharram 23, back in the early 70s, took three years and cost $16,000 to build. It only had enough interior room for Lilliputians! In my early 20s, it was great!
It is hard to break into cruising on a 40' boat, for less than $50,000... minimum. New sails alone might be $10,000. You can minimize expenses a lot, but it still takes the magic ingredient... M.
Mark Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 17:50   #17

Boat: Piver 41AA, Cross 28.
Send a message via Yahoo to Kelldog

Greetings Billy;
I am thrilled to see your comment about Star Trek! It is a fantastic example of a well designed and built trimaran and I loved sailing her. I made the decision to move to Florida and so I gave her up to another owner. I heard Star Trek was sailed to Texas. I loved that boat! Glad to be in Florida, but like you I miss it daily!!!

Kelly.

"Just a thumbs up on your avatar.
That was my Piver AA 41' for 38 years or more.
"Star Trek"
Quite famous in Southern California racing.
Winner multihul transpac and had 30 Ensenada races.
Built and launched in 1968 It took me to the South Pacific back in the late 1970's

A real beauty. I miss it almost daily."

Billy Stein
Kelldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2011, 13:10   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelldog View Post
Greetings Billy;
I am thrilled to see your comment about Star Trek! It is a fantastic example of a well designed and built trimaran and I loved sailing her. I made the decision to move to Florida and so I gave her up to another owner. I heard Star Trek was sailed to Texas. I loved that boat! Glad to be in Florida, but like you I miss it daily!!!

Kelly.

Billy Stein
Thanks for the heads up Kelly.

Yours at the helm......... Billy
Boogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 06:38   #19

Boat: Piver 41 AA now

BillY and Kelldog
I am in the last phases of rigging my 41 AA and am hungry for first hand sailing information on her. Would either of you be so kind as to indulge me, it has been a long project since i pulled her out of a farmers field here in Petaluma. A DIY my impetus has waxed and waned, now I am close to sailing. Thanx------------ I can also be reached at 707-758-4417
Kapt. Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 16:09   #20

Boat: Piver 41AA, Cross 28.
Send a message via Yahoo to Kelldog

Hello Klause,
I can only say that sailing the AA41 was a thrill. I don't think you will be disappointed with your boat. The spaciousness and layout make for a great cruiser and even though it is not a "modern" design, it still can be a fine cruising Tri.

Do you have any pics? I look forward to hearing about your launch and sailing.

Regards,

Kelly.
Kelldog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
piver, trimaran