Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2010, 14:14   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
4-10,000 hours...

If you can get well priced fair quality labour then building is worth considering.

I don't know what it's like where you are but start figuring at 7,000 hours at $20ph = $140k, add $130k for bits and pieces, $30k for rent, cranes etc. and you've got a new boat, maybe in less time than it takes to find one.

Difficult part is finding a place to do it and 2 good workers, but you'd end up with new everything built better than anything you could buy.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2010, 14:39   #17

Boat: 1984 Westerly Sealord 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by proeliator View Post
OOO Have I considered this I even have the shop space and all the tools needed but I am not sure that I can build a Hull type I would want to spend the next 20
years on... I am also a ways from the water how do you take a boat thats 22 esh feet wide and get it to the water....hmmmm
They make these big metal things called "trucks" (or "lorries", depending on your version of English). They'll get your boat to the water.

I agree with those who say "build it yourself". You have the skill, tools, and space. Those are the three things that most people lack when they want to build their own boat. (We all lack enough money.) If you build, you'll save money and get exactly the boat you build.

Kevin
kevingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2010, 16:37   #18

Boat: 27' American Mariner
I am not very worried about the interior I am qualified to change most anything inside I am capable in epoxy wood metal or fiberglass
So that is one reason I am not 2 scarred of a 4 head charter boat but for abuse.
But to give a straight answer to building myself I dont believe I have seen a single hand done boat I thought the overall outcome was better then a factory boat... I might need to see more examples of progress because there are some kits I would love and as the owner of a construction company I can find the labor...it just seems every home built I have seen pics of seem to be very botched looking and I want it to look right.
Mike
proeliator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2010, 17:48   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
It's the little things...

What I like most about building (or fitting out, anyway) my own boat is that I can build it to my standards.
So if I scratch or bend or break something it's not the end of the world.

The problem with most DIY boats is that the builder mostly finds out how to do a job after they've done it once or twice (or three or more times), they've underestimated the time needed and they don't really have the time needed.

If you have the woodworking and layout skills, plan the job properly and can get the "help" needed this may not be a problem.

There would be way too much work in a large cat for one man to build it in a year or even two.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2010, 19:30   #20

Boat: Bob Oram Design, 44C, 13.5m -
Quote:
I am not very worried about the interior I am qualified to change most anything inside I am capable in epoxy wood metal or fiberglass
So that is one reason I am not 2 scarred of a 4 head charter boat but for abuse.
But to give a straight answer to building myself I dont believe I have seen a single hand done boat I thought the overall outcome was better then a factory boat... I might need to see more examples of progress because there are some kits I would love and as the owner of a construction company I can find the labor...it just seems every home built I have seen pics of seem to be very botched looking and I want it to look right.
Mike
Good Day Mike, Look here for not botched "home built" cats:

YACHT BUILDING CORNER :: View Forum - Members Multi's

Bob Oram Design

Regards,
scrumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2010, 20:34   #21

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
That question is easy, PDQ 44

Beachable mini keels which are sacrificial, beachable but will come off if on a reef and allow you to sail back off it, many have found it saved their boats

Encloseable cockpit - perhaps one of the best out there, it's a huge florida room when the enclosure is down and the weather is nasty

Hard dodger with solar panels - check, the top is hard, has molded in solars, is strong enough to walk on.

all lines lead to cockpit - yep, they are led through a special channel that goes back, no problems, one person can quite easily handle it.

being able to see over the saloon deck roof - it's one of the few where they made it so you can see over the roof yet also be protected with the communication and ease of a helm inside the cockpit

CE certified category A - check

No slapping (30" min it seems?) - yes, far more clearance than most, you can drive a dingy underneath it.

I believe direct drive motors will be more reliable then saildrives. - check, direct shafts coming from centered motors

yanmar diesels - yes

no balsa core - yes, and balsa is the cheapest construction material, it's why every charter boat has it.

skegged rudders - I believe so, I personally have had a pdq with skegged rudders
ability for 2 oversize anchors - check

rub rails - yes, and they are the best out there, bar none. The boat's deck ends with an aluminum toe rail that extends over the hulls, pilings hit it first. As its aluminum, it absorbs the impact very well and you can tie fenders to it. haven't seen one other catamaran ever made with that. It also has a redundant rubber rubrail have way down the hull just in case. The PDQ 44s sides are going to be better after more years due to these than any other boat.

the davit system must lift the dingy with outboard attached - They have an extremely nice one that can lift the dingy straight up

davit system with more solar panels would be nice - of course it's possible, easily.
watermaker would be nice - I think its standard in their "cruising" package.

Things you didn't mention that you maybe should have:

Structural bouyancy so you can withstand a hole in any part of the boat without sinking - standard on PDQ, not there really on many common charter cats.

Crash compartments forward and aft which contain any impact in the most likely places - standard on PDQ

A great galley with plenty of storage - PDQ's galley with 10 ft of counterspace is unequalled. There frankly isn't anything out there that comes close.
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2010, 20:34   #22

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
Oops, they are called Antares 44 now. BTW, I'm not going to try to steer you toward my boat because of my requirements, but looking at YOUR priorities, I think there isn't another catamaran out that would match your priorities as well. The good thing is that there are now used PDQ 44s for sail which due to things like excellent rub rails look as good as the day they got them. And also due to things like synthetic cores they don't have any hidden balsa rot.
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2010, 21:47   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrumble View Post
Good Day Mike, Look here for not botched "home built" cats:

YACHT BUILDING CORNER :: View Forum - Members Multi's

Bob Oram Design

Regards,
This I must spend some time on By trade I am a cabinet maker but moved to building custom homes, and remodeling so im not scared of the amount of work but so many buts....will this even fit down the road even on a lorrie
Old 22-05-2010, 04:52   #24

Boat: Bob Oram Design, 44C, 13.5m -
Quote:
This I must spend some time on By trade I am a cabinet maker but moved to building custom homes, and remodeling so im not scared of the amount of work but so many buts....will this even fit down the road even on a lorrie
Good Day Mike,

This link on my website shows my boat shell moving to a new build site recently, she is 13.5metres x 6.5metres
Goin’ down the track « The Scrumble Project
BTW - My project has been long as I have been doing it part time.

Regards,
scrumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2010, 10:03   #25

I agree schoonerdog the antares 44i is a very nice (darn close to what I call perfect) boat but no used market yet for them and new will take more time working.
I am working my way through Scrumbles web page very nice page so far.
Mike
Old 22-05-2010, 21:40   #26

I bet I know the answer already but how do you guy feel about cat motorsailers? Can you have the best of both worlds?
Also my wife who is not as sold on moving off dryland as I wants to take a bath. I need to find a way to make it possible atleast once a week she likes to read a book in the tub....so first problem is room that I can solve but enough water? Can I use see water to fill with a fresh water rinse? what about making enough hot water would running a motor till it was warm be required? better ideas?
(motorsailers with twin 200 hp diesels able to get out fast if a problem like storm or injury came up would be of use how large a boat to be able to take the extra weight and the hull shape to be able to handle both ....well how about it anyone have info first hand?
Mike
Old 23-05-2010, 02:24   #27
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
A St Francis 48 or 50 has a bath tub and a used one can be had for around $ 550.000,00 with all equipment needed !!!

Gideon
fastcat435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2010, 12:57   #28

before I start reading about that one, is singlehandeling a 40 the same amount of work as a 48? with power winches and such is it about the same? I know the longer the better for cruising through waves and better load vs speed but is this getting to the point with out 2 people working it its going to be 2 much?
Old 23-05-2010, 13:50   #29
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
it is a real single handed cat, probably less work than the average 40 ft cat with electric winches etc. a fast , comfortable live aboard cat. easy to sail by yourself and even better with 2 on board
fastcat435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2010, 18:44   #30

Bath tub needs to be 5ft for her to be happy, is it not practical to be able to heat that amount of water once a week?