Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2021, 19:12   #106

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40
Re: Performance catamarans 40-48 foot range

Quote:
Originally Posted by poseidon2027 View Post
Yes, ive watched all their videos. One of the reasons i started leaning towards a performance cat, lol.
Then look closely at a Neel 47…just was on one yesterday. Looked really well and Neel really sorted out the problems that came up. Seems that Neel got its major quality problems sorted.
Same performance for half the price.
Also forgot to mention, from the day you bought it new till the boat is ready to blue water cruise count 1-1.5 years till you sort out all garuntee and additional aftermarket install works doesn’t matter if a neel, outremer (most likely more…) or Catana…
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 04:04   #107

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
Yes, ive watched all their videos. One of the reasons i started leaning towards a performance cat, lol.
That Outremer 51 is unique because it may be the only one with an enclosed helm. The first owners were a well known sailing couple who evidently ordered it new that way. Usually there isn't room for the enclosure under the boom, I think, and all the new Os seem to be designed that way. I was wondering if they just raised the boom height and ended up with a smaller sail, or increased the mast length thereby keeping the same sail size, or just raised the clew some or a combination.
Old 05-12-2021, 15:04   #108

Quote:
Thank you for this, I definitely liked hearing it. Our main first choice is actually the FP Isla 40. I just read in other places that construction and quality of the FP's are not the best. They said to stick to Lagoon if im going this route. Its a shame because we really fell in love with the Isla 40. Then I kept going down the rabbit hole and started learning about performance cats and the differences.

Now I just dont know. Maybe a condo in the 44-46 ala Lagoon 450s or Helia 44 may be the best way. But those are honestly too big inside for us. Why doesnt a 45 foot catamaran with the interior of a 40 foot catamaran exist? In the end i think thats what im looking for to get the best of both worlds, doesnt look like it exists though.
It does exist in Outremer 45
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 15:24   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
It does exist in Outremer 45
Better Quality HH44 and faster plus hybrid for the same amount.
Or about 55% cheaper (fully speced with +100000 aftermarket goodies) the Neel 43 and spend the rest on the way As a couple with occasional guest you don‘t need more.
Old 06-12-2021, 00:33   #110

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRivet View Post
Better Quality HH44 and faster plus hybrid for the same amount.
Or about 55% cheaper (fully speced with +100000 aftermarket goodies) the Neel 43 and spend the rest on the way As a couple with occasional guest you don‘t need more.

Dazcat 1295 - the right size, good price , excellent quality and performance.

https://www.multihullcentre.com/dazc...e/dazcat-1295/
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 01:42   #111
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

HH is half a tonne heavier 5 foot shorter. Not sure how that is going to equate to better performance. And Outremer will guarantee their lightship weight, will HH? Interestingly the OC 44 from the same company marketed as the more cruisy choice is about 100 kg lighter than the HH44
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 01:42   #112
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post

Yep - very good thing
Old 06-12-2021, 04:40   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post

Galley down, no thank you
Old 06-12-2021, 04:45   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
HH is half a tonne heavier 5 foot shorter. Not sure how that is going to equate to better performance. And Outremer will guarantee their lightship weight, will HH? Interestingly the OC 44 from the same company marketed as the more cruisy choice is about 100 kg lighter than the HH44
OC44 is without daggerboards and without the hybrid drive+batteries very customizable , HH44 is with and a lot stock equipment.. they give you the choice. OC is more typical cruiser oriented while HH line more performance and hybrid.
HH44 you get nearly full equipped, not many optional choices, outremer is naked weight... Add all the equipment the HH44 has stock and you are above the HH with hybrid, additional batteries...
That 0.5feet won't make a performance difference. Performance difference in this 43-45class of performance cruising cats won't be huge, they all cook with water and money. Outremer grew too fast so you hear more and more complaints about quality and you pay also for the name. If you buy 2nd hand, well the former owner most likley fixed all that...
Open unprotected helm on outremer versus protected, covered and on one level helm station on HH, i know which one I prefer taking offshore
If you give me outremer as a gift i will take it, great cat but if I have to spend my money OC or HH44 will be my choice. Most likely a OC44 with daggerboards but without hybrid, not need and adds 60k to the price.
Old 06-12-2021, 05:03   #115
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Galley down, no thank you

No galley up or down, maybe call it galley midway.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 05:29   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
No galley up or down, maybe call it galley midway.
You won...
Simply galley not where i want it...
Let me dream...1 Mio buck cat not in my range anyhow but the Neel 43 will be.
Old 06-12-2021, 05:57   #117

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
You won...
Simply galley not where i want it...
Let me dream...1 Mio buck cat not in my range anyhow but the Neel 43 will be.

Spend some time on a Dazcat before deciding. It's one of the best position/located galleys I have seen. Amazing visibility with a very open feel - the cook is at eye height of a seated person in the salon with nothing blocking them from interacting with the bridgedeck. The benefit to this design is a larger salon; engines in the middle of the boat with good access from the galley sole/floor; and good storage outboard. Negatives are no private owners hull; less sidedeck space due to pushed out cabin side; no outboard countertop; tight for two people at one time.

The only production boat that I think is similar to Dazcat is a TS42/50. Unless specified as a high priced upgrade, there is no fairing of the interior or or use of liners to cover the construction of these boats. All fiberglass tape lines are visible all across the overhead and bulkheads giving a look that my wife called "unfinished"..... I like it's honesty, but it won't satisfy someone comparing to an HH. For the 1495 Simon said a faired interior added something like 5,000 hours of labor to the bill.

And the Outremer 45 is 48' long now. So not the half a foot difference you quoted for the HH44 to Outremer 45 comparison.

Matt
Old 06-12-2021, 17:42   #118
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
OC44 is without daggerboards and without the hybrid drive+batteries very customizable , HH44 is with and a lot stock equipment.. they give you the choice. OC is more typical cruiser oriented while HH line more performance and hybrid.
HH44 you get nearly full equipped, not many optional choices, outremer is naked weight... Add all the equipment the HH44 has stock and you are above the HH with hybrid, additional batteries...
Speak with outremer, they will give you weight your boat will be built and guarantee that.
Quote:
That 0.5feet won't make a performance difference. Performance difference in this 43-45class of performance cruising cats won't be huge, they all cook with water and money. Outremer grew too fast so you hear more and more complaints about quality and you pay also for the name. If you buy 2nd hand, well the former owner most likley fixed all that...
Outremer 45 is 48 ft long???? Outremer didnt grow too fast, they are making not many more boats that they were 5 years ago. What complaints, please direct me to them
Quote:
Open unprotected helm on outremer versus protected, covered and on one level helm station on HH, i know which one I prefer taking offshore
Yeah nah, inner helm is reasonably protected and tiller helms are for fun

Tags
catamaran