Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2018, 11:31   #76

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat
Re: Performance Cat makers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CbroTheDude View Post
I would guess if you have the money why not get a good looking cat?
+1 The X5 reminds me of the Bosozoku van tread in Japan years ago..... all useless fins, slashes, notches, angles and other 'sporty' looking accessories.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image005.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	176230

Mainly it's the X5's spoiler traveller arch, but the backslash dead lights and other details are already dated.

Matt
Old 27-08-2018, 11:49   #77

Boat: Oyster 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthehook17 View Post
Piou, we looked at the X5 several times; and saw the boat in the Caribbean several times; however, we never had it on our short list. The X5 is probably an excellent boat; however, it did not meet our search criteria.
In my opinion, the HH55 and the X5 are quite different boats. HH55 14K kg - X5 21K kg, SA/D much different, carbon vs glass, daggerboards vs mini keels, 55ft vs 50ft, carbon spars vs aluminum, and so on. I would group the X5 along with the Nautitech 48 and FP50. We loved our FP for what it was; however, this group of boats with mini-keels make terrible leeway when sailing with the wind forward of the beam.
The X5 seems to be well equipped and may offer suitable performance and price for some buyers; however, I would not put it in the performance cat category discussed in this thread.
Sorry, my mistake. I meant the 5X (Outremer) The specs are very close to the HH.
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2018, 12:09   #78

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Helia 44

Piou, I had the opportunity to crew on a very well equipped Outremer 5X in June 2017 for an ocean passage from Bermuda to Portugal. Enjoyable passage, boat sailed well; however, it did not take long to decide it was not the boat for me.
The Outremer 5X was on our short list.

s/v Let It Be
onthehook17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2018, 13:57   #79

Boat: Oyster 66

Quote:
Piou, I had the opportunity to crew on a very well equipped Outremer 5X in June 2017 for an ocean passage from Bermuda to Portugal. Enjoyable passage, boat sailed well; however, it did not take long to decide it was not the boat for me.
The Outremer 5X was on our short list.
Can you say how you found it?
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2018, 04:47   #80

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Helia 44

I found the Outremer 5X to be a better getting there (sailing) boat than a being there (living at anchor) boat. The 5X is probably the perfect boat for some people; so, my opinions are just that, only my opinions.
To make a 59 foot fiberglass, gel-coat catamaran a performance cat, the manufacturer must make compromises somewhere else to save weight. The salon space is very minimal, the furniture is sparse, and the trampolines are incredibly long. The 5X that I spent 13 days aboard had no generator, no A/C units and I did not get the feeling that it was quite as fast as the HH55’s that I have sailed on.
I realize that the HH is more expensive than the 5X; however, I think that if you look fore/aft while standing at the cockpit/salon door of both boats and then work in the galley in both boats you will see a big difference.

s/v Let It Be
onthehook17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2018, 05:20   #81
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
The 5X that I spent 13 days aboard had no generator, no A/C units .
Oh the HORROR
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2018, 05:25   #82

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Oh the HORROR
But if you are used to them already, and you can have them without a speed hit, why not? We are talking about a couple million dollar 'home' here.

Matt
Old 30-08-2018, 06:35   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
But if you are used to them already, and you can have them without a speed hit, why not? We are talking about a couple million dollar 'home' here.

Matt
Exactly.

Why not. You have a multi-million dollar apartment on the water that can sail to multi million dollar locations at 10-15 kts with ease and great style. It sounds like a great idea to me. I think everyone should do it. ... Maybe not.
Catmandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2018, 07:05   #84
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatingnewbie View Post
Please list any performance cat builders that you know of...

Seems like Gunboat and HH are two popular 'very high-end' builders.

I believe Catana and Outremer are in the next pricing tier.

I recently stumbled upon companies like SeaWind and Balance.

Others?
I have run both Seawind and PDQ boats. Both are crazy fast. The Seawind I ran has lines coming back to the cockpit on both sides of the boat, and dual helm. While that may look cool, the reality is, Murphy will ensure that the line that needs tweaking is on the other side! Also to properly run the boat, that means dual electronics. If you do get one, make sure all reefing lines come back to the cockpit. I found getting to the mast less than ideal.

PDQ makes a nice boat, the one I delivered was rigged with outboards. With the owner aboard- and egging me on to get her to go faster-- we had 12" rooster tails coming off the hulls! Issues with the boat were 1) the volume of water going past the outboard wells caused the port motor to shift in the well and have an angle (see speed comment). 2) she felt a tad narrow. So when we got caught in 10-12 foot swells on the quarter, she was a handful. 3) the vessel I ran had a wheel pilot. IMHO wheel pilots are "line of sight" tools. If you can't see land- the boat should have a hydraulic ram.

Both boats handle well at low speed and are easy to maneuver. The line-of-sight for the Seawind is not as good. Because the helm sets lower, you have to lower the window infant of the helm and then look through the tinted window in the front of the salon. That scares me! Costa glasses plus a tinted window is too much tint, something can be obscured. I normally hang my head out the port side and let the sun beat on me.

Neither is easy to single-hand dock as the route from the helm to the rail is not direct like on FP's.

Both have the galley down, while this means less sleeping area- it makes cooking much easier.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 14:33   #85

Boat: Pescott Whitehaven 11.7

My completely biased reply to this is Pescott cats. Have just sold my Whitehaven 11.7 and she was a dream boat. 20hp honda outboards, sailed up wind as well as every mono apart from the TP52s, flat water top speed is 19 knots, offshore over well over 20. Upwind in over 16 knots of wind we'd do 10 knots--fully loaded, ie living on the boat gear, that dropped to 8 knots. Off the wind offshore it was common to see 12-15 knots. Light wind sailing was also great. A sailors boat with all the advantages of being a cat. Alas they are nearly all privately built (my builder has just retired) so getting one is hard but they are often seen as the 'boat to beat' in Australia. All this with wonderful (but simple) accommodation.

Phil
Morph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 00:34   #86

Now here comes the challange and our problem. We would like the space and comfort of Helia (family with kids) with the performance and build quality of Outremer 45.
Vlasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 01:19   #87

Boat: Fountain Pajot, Helia 44 Evolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlasta View Post
Now here comes the challange and our problem. We would like the space and comfort of Helia (family with kids) with the performance and build quality of Outremer 45.
Haha... We all would like that. I would like the wisdom of my 50 years of life experiences in the same body when I was 25. Just ain't happening [emoji25]
Old 05-09-2018, 04:36   #88

Apologies for hijacking. So when it comes to livaboard circumnavigation with space and comfort while maintaining decent sailing ability, can one assume while looking at new or newish cats around 45 feet, that FP is the way to go? Am in the market and trying to not make an expensive mistake. Many thanks for any answers.
Vlasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 05:07   #89

Quote:
Apologies for hijacking. So when it comes to livaboard circumnavigation with space and comfort while maintaining decent sailing ability, can one assume while looking at new or newish cats around 45 feet, that FP is the way to go? Am in the market and trying to not make an expensive mistake. Many thanks for any answers.
What it comes down to is a matter of taste and Money. I would never choose a production Cat, regardless of brand. Quality is poor in my opinion. Buy what you like, get a survey and spend what you can afford. Fair winds and good luck!
Zarih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 06:44   #90

Quote:

Easy, get an Outremer 55!
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote